2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Not a surprise among them.  Guys I hope to see up in Buffalo someday:  Bailey, Catenacci (always*), Baptiste.

*Catenacci only because of his freaking wheels.  Holy Joe, that guy might be faster than Afinogenov.  He'd be so much fun to watch if he could put a complete game together, but I don't think he can or will.

If at least 1 of Bailey, Baptiste, or Fasching pan out, the Sabres are in good shape on the right side about the time they're ready to start a run.

If 2 pan out, the forwards could be "scary good."

Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis -

Moulding - Eichel - Girgensons -

Gionta-- Larrson - Reinhart

Deslauriers/legwand - Foligno and whoever

I like the lines like this. Larrson has to either play a serious role or be traded for something good. He is just too good a player to be a spare part. This gives us solid scoring all through the tree top lines. Look out NHL here come the Sabres!

I don't see Sam flanked by two of the smaller guys on the roster. 

Austin and Leduc are surprises to be still here, Lieuwen as well, although they might need a third goalie for practice purposes.

Guhle, Schaller and Rodrigues still hanging in there.

Edited by dudacek

I hope someone picks him up. I'd rather not watch him in roch this year.

What's wrong with having him in Rochester?

Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis -

Moulding - Eichel - Girgensons -

Gionta-- Larrson - Reinhart

Deslauriers/legwand - Foligno and whoever

I like the lines like this. Larrson has to either play a serious role or be traded for something good. He is just too good a player to be a spare part. This gives us solid scoring all through the tree top lines. Look out NHL here come the Sabres!

I don't know if it you reposting it over and over or if it's a large contingent but the trading Larsson shtick needs to to stop. The second you have one more forward that can play in the NHL isn't time to think your problems are solved. Good teams call that depth.

I don't know if it you reposting it over and over or if it's a large contingent but the trading Larsson shtick needs to to stop. The second you have one more forward that can play in the NHL isn't time to think your problems are solved. Good teams call that depth.

To be fair, most of the time that I've read trade Larsson talk it was related to improving our tepid defensive depth.

Edited by qwksndmonster

To be fair, most of the time that I've read trade Larsson talk it was related to improving our tepid defensive depth.

IIRC, most of that talk was pre-Fransen. Could they still use another D , sure. I just don't want to start trading away players so Matt Ellis is a Sabre again.

Edited by inkman

These are just guesses like everyone else. 

Evander Kane-Ryan O'Reilly-Tyler Ennis

Matt Moulson-Jack Eichel-Sam Reinhart

Marcus Foligno-Zemgus Girgensons-Brian Gionta

Nic Deslauriers-Johan Larsson-Jamie McGinn

Reserves: David Legwand, Cal O'Reilly

Mark Pysyk-Zach Bogosian

Josh Gorges-Rasmus Ristolainen

Mike Weber-Cody Franson

Reserve: Carlo Colaiacovo

Robin Lehner

Chad Johnson

McGinn hasn't impressed me much so far.  

I can agree with that.  He is coming off a major back injury that took 80% of his season last year.  Not an easy thing to come back from, however he still looks like he's pressing.  We'll see but he's not a top six forward.  There are worse options on the third or fourth line.  

Austin and Leduc are surprises to be still here, Lieuwen as well, although they might need a third goalie for practice purposes.

Guhle, Schaller and Rodrigues still hanging in there.

Couldn't it be that this is due to the split squad games?  Both probably will be sent down or waived before Tuesday's game against Toronto.  I would think.  Donovan and Colaiacovo have been terrible IMO. 

If at least 1 of Bailey, Baptiste, or Fasching pan out, the Sabres are in good shape on the right side about the time they're ready to start a run.

If 2 pan out, the forwards could be "scary good."

I definitely see the reasoning there.  Fasching is being brought along the right way.  Baptiste and Bailey are both interesting projects in their own.  They probably need a season to a season and a half in the AHL to see what happens against legit NHL type competition.  

From what I've seen and heard, Larsson is forcing his way into the starting lineup.
We have 13 NHL forwards, 14 if McCormick comes back.
What a great problem to have.

Larsson forces his way into the bottom six forwards, pushing Cal O'Reilly and David Legwand back.  Legwand to me doesn't have a long shelf life on this team IMO.  Bylsma said it himself:  There isn't a lot of skill left to his game, but he knows where to be and how to play in the crunch.  I'm paraphrasing. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

Believe me, I do not want to trade him. But they need to use him or he will want out, I'm guessing. What is his contract situation? Does anyone know? Isn't it just for one year?

There isn't a contingent and it doesn't "need to stop".  Larsson is a good 2 way player but if the Sabres are not going to clear room and give him the playing time, we should trade him for another asset that is what the discussion is.  Larsson has been better than Legwand and McGinn for sure. I do think some people worry about Larsson's size but at 5'11" 206lbs the guy can easily handle himself.  Larsson should be a 3rd line winger or center with his skills but that bumps a lot of people so it is hard to find a place for him.    

There isn't a contingent and it doesn't "need to stop".  Larsson is a good 2 way player but if the Sabres are not going to clear room and give him the playing time, we should trade him for another asset that is what the discussion is.  Larsson has been better than Legwand and McGinn for sure. I do think some people worry about Larsson's size but at 5'11" 206lbs the guy can easily handle himself.  Larsson should be a 3rd line winger or center with his skills but that bumps a lot of people so it is hard to find a place for him.    

It would be silly to trade Larsson, unless the return is spectacular. Even though the center depth is improved, as in most seasons, it can get thin quickly with a single injury or just the fatigue that could set in with guys like Eichel or Reinhart. Larsson can play center or wing. He's not going to go to waste on this roster. 

All I hear out of Bylsma's mouth (from presser's) are good things about Larsson aside from his attitude when facing demotion.  Which is hard for a player who is producing positive results.  Whereas with Legwand it just seems like he's there.  I may be reading into things but Larsson has played in all situations and has been up there with the top line for minutes in the pre-season.  Call me crazy but when push comes to shove Bylsma will keep Larsson. 

I read a lot of posts that seem to be based on the idea that the roster is static and the roles of each line and player will be the same from game to game.

Injuries happen, players get slotted into different roles depending on the situation and the opponent, guys go through slumps, lines lose and gain chemistry, the coach shakes things up for a variety of reasons.

One of the things I like about this line-up of forwards is we seem to have a lot of versatility.

The idea that Johan Larsson should be traded because there is no room for him is going to look laughable 30 games into the season.

I am not opposed to having a 3rd line of Foligno - Larsson - Reinhart to start the year.

That could happen if we're looking to '16 or '17. Would be shocked if it happens this year. And by then, Reinhart would be the C of that crew.

Still lots of Q's about who ends up on the 3rd line, but the 1 piece of that line that is an almost absolute lock is Gionta on the RW there. I'd give it a 5% chance that he's 2nd line RW and 94.5% that he's 3rd line. Non-dysfunctional teams don't have their captain playing 4th line.

Would also be surprised if Reinhart has no veteran on his line regardless of whether he's C or RW this year. DB will put his players in positions to succeed. Running that line on October 8 2015 isn't giving Reinhart his best chance for success.

I read a lot of posts that seem to be based on the idea that the roster is static and the roles of each line and player will be the same from game to game.

Injuries happen, players get slotted into different roles depending on the situation and the opponent, guys go through slumps, lines lose and gain chemistry, the coach shakes things up for a variety of reasons.

One of the things I like about this line-up of forwards is we seem to have a lot of versatility.

The idea that Johan Larsson should be traded because there is no room for him is going to look laughable 30 games into the season.

Agreed, but won't take 30 games (unfortunately) for someone to get injured. The day the 13th forward is forced to dress is the day people realize, it's a good thing not forcing D'Amigo or Varone into the lineup. ;)

In a couple years, this roster is going to be good enough to have Zemgus on the 3rd line.  Scary.

Have to believe LT they're hoping to have him and Larsson 2/3's of that 3rd line. Unless they've got him pencilled in to slide to Eichel's left when Moulson is too long in the tooth.

IIRC, most of that talk was pre-Fransen. Could they still use another D , sure. I just don't want to start trading away players so Matt Ellis is a Sabre again.

Good call, but Franson doesn't really fill the hole of a solid second pairing guy.  And even if we did have another solid second pairing guy our defense would be barely average.

OTOH, after watching the last couple seasons with decent D and nothing at F I'm fine with seeing what our team can do with a full compliment of real forwards.  Forwards drive puck possession, so I expect lotsa goals both ways.

I think Foligno and Larsson are very comparable at this point in their careers. While Foligno gives size and experience, Larsson gives consistency and a well rounded game. They've both had unsustainable scoring streaks in their young careers (it's still possible for Larsson to be that good, but I'm not betting on it).

I think Larsson will be considered the clearly better player by year's end.

This is my thinking. 

Do you know his contract situation?

He's on a cheap one-year deal. Will still be an RFA next summer.

My impression is he becomes a regular and gets a nice deal next summer, or he doesn't become a regular and he goes back to Sweden.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.