2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

It's more of a "don't count your chickens before they're hatched" thing.  Right now it all looks good, but we don't know what will happen the puck drops on the regular season.  As a Buffalo sports fan I've been beaten down so long it's hard for me to get my hopes up.

At some point this sentiment is going to cease to exist. I had hoped completing the tank and landing Eichel (and him appearing to be as advertised) would do the trick, at least with respect to the Sabres. Apparently not, but I promise you this, there will come a day where you no longer feel this way and it's coming sooner than later!

Saying Eichel wins the Calder, or even that he'll absolutely be in the mix (though being in the mix would be a safe bet, it isn't a lock) would be in the counting chickens category. Saying this kid will be up all year is playing w/ house money and is not going out on a limb.

Interesting - thanks for that perspective.

It does seem a bit like a numbers game on that third line, though -- with Reinhart possibly an odd-man out because of his need for significant minutes at the pro level.

Before the preseason, I guess I thought that Gionta would fall out of the top 6 and Reinhart would slot in. Not yet, apparently.

I do think that lines 1, 2, and 3 will all be getting significant ice-time this year. Realistically, even the 4th line will get a fair bit. We have the personnel to role all of the lines. 

It's great to be able to say that!

Saying Eichel wins the Calder, or even that he'll absolutely be in the mix (though being in the mix would be a safe bet, it isn't a lock) would be in the counting chickens category. Saying this kid will be up all year is playing w/ house money and is not going out on a limb.

Funny you should mention...

official team tweet this morning

#Sabres lines this AM:

Moulson-O'Reilly-Ennis

Kane-Eichel-Gionta

Foligno-Girgensons-Reinhart

Deslauriers-Legwand-Larsson/McGinn

I do wonder what's becoming of the D pairings.

With all the hope and excitement up front, I feel like the back end is getting overlooked a bit (by the fans (myself included)).

official team tweet this morning

#Sabres lines this AM:

Moulson-O'Reilly-Ennis

Kane-Eichel-Gionta

Foligno-Girgensons-Reinhart

Deslauriers-Legwand-Larsson/McGinn

I do wonder what's becoming of the D pairings.

With all the hope and excitement up front, I feel like the back end is getting overlooked a bit (by the fans (myself included)).

No, this implies it's inadvertent. I think most of us have made the conscious decision to bury our heads in the sand and pay as little attention as possible to the defense corps.

No, this implies it's inadvertent. I think most of us have made the conscious decision to bury our heads in the sand and pay as little attention as possible to the defense corps.

Agreed.  Look at what we have available to play D the first few games of the season.  You can't make that look good.  I'll take a 6-5 win Thursday, though.  Optimism!  :thumbsup:

John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl 3m3 minutes ago

Cody McCormick (blood clots), Zach Bogosian (lower body) and Brendan Guhle (upper body) not on ice.

I think we may see a week or two of the season before things even begin to shake out. Let's just wait and see what Bylsma and Murray do.

Edited by LGR4GM

John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl 22m22 minutes ago

Sabres' defense: Gorges-Ristolainen, Weber-Franson, McCabe-Pysyk, Donovan-Colaiacovo.

Yes, I love the potential of that pairing.  They may start off as the third pairing but should move ahead of Weber and Franson in short order (assuming Bogo is out for awhile).

I think I'd be more in favor of going Weber-Pysyk  and McCabe-Franson to start and see how that works.  Doesn't look like that is what's been decided, however.

I'm not huge on an all-rookie pairing either, to be honest. I'd rather they go Weber-Pysyk and McCabe-Franson until Bogosian is ready to go.

Beat me to it, great minds think alike, etc, etc. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.