Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

We took a calculated risk on the best physical prospect in a QB-weak draft -- a time where Buddy Nix was surreptitiously recorded saying to another league exec it was a "bad time to need" a QB.

So, yes - those scouts and execs are all idiots. :huh:

They could have drafted him in the 4th, they wasted a first round pick. It would be like the Sabres drafting a goalie 1st overall this year because they need one, ###### stupid.

They could have drafted him in the 4th, they wasted a first round pick. It would be like the Sabres drafting a goalie 1st overall this year because they need one, ###### stupid.

No matter how many times you and Tank say it, he wasn't lasting till the 4th round. He has all the tools, is exceptionally smart, a nice guy and a hard worker. He would have been gone by the end of the second at the latest.

While an overwhelming majority of execs and "experts" panned the pick, there were many that liked the pick for the potential upside. Given the Bills' situation, it wasn't the enormous reach some kid you would like everyone to believe.

We drafted EJ Manuel in round 1.... our QB scouts are ###### idiots.

I hear we are looking at Blake Sims and Bryce Petty. Both players not worthy of IMPO of 2nd round selections. Too many question marks.

I'd take Petty with a late 2nd early 3rd. I'd take take Brett Hundley with a 2nd as well.

Unless you're getting a crack at somebody like Luck, you're more likely to draft a QB who isn't any good than to draft one who is. Taking a guy with physical tools and hoping you can coach up the mechanics is really all you can hope for in most cases. If we didn't draft Manuel we probably would have ended up with somebody like Barkley or Glennon, and we'd be having this exact same conversation right now.

Unless you're Liger, in which case we would have taken a "skilled SEC quarterback" like Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger, or AJ McCarron and signed them to a $100MM extension by now.

Unless you're getting a crack at somebody like Luck, you're more likely to draft a QB who isn't any good than to draft one who is. Taking a guy with physical tools and hoping you can coach up the mechanics is really all you can hope for in most cases. If we didn't draft Manuel we probably would have ended up with somebody like Barkley or Glennon, and we'd be having this exact same conversation right now.

Unless you're Liger, in which case we would have taken a "skilled SEC quarterback" like Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger, or AJ McCarron and signed them to a $100MM extension by now.

No we wouldn't have wasted I ### #### FIRST ROUND PICK ON S##T!

None of the SEC guys were worth a 1st and I knew it but neither was MANUEL.

I can't wait until EJ is the starter next year and killin' it.

Everybody knows EJ woManuel is teh worst and everybody has known it since before he was drafted.

(I like you)

Shhhhhh Liger it's okay. We drafted Kiko Alonso with the 8th overall pick, but had to take his younger sister EJ on the roster as well to appease him.

Everybody knows EJ woManuel is teh worst and everybody has known it since before he was drafted.

(I like you)

Shhhhhh Liger it's okay. We drafted Kiko Alonso with the 8th overall pick, but had to take his younger sister EJ on the roster as well to appease him.

I think that's true in general. This season's Super Bowl offers a strange case study, a third-rounder and a sixth-rounder.

It occurs to me: Do lower-round guys more commonly become elite players in the NFL than they do in the NHL? Sorta seems maybe that's the case. Or perhaps this year's SB is just skewing my perspective.

I would say yes, but that's more about the nature of the two games. There's probably 20-25 "positions" in the NFL (maybe more when you start talking 3-4 OLB vs 4-3 OLB, etc.) and 32 teams. Even into to the 3-4th round you still might be getting the 2nd or 3rd best player coming out of college at a position. In hockey, you have 6 positions (at most), so by the start of the second round you're talking about the 6th best player at that position that year. Sure, there will be surprises (especially in the NHL when you're picking 18 year olds), but realistically a 4th round center is probably the 30th center picked that year. It's unlikely he'll amount to anything. It's be interesting to see if in the last 20 years how many top centers came from anywhere after the 2nd round. (Some may accuse me of cherry picking that number to exclude the Datysuk and Zetterberg, but I wanted to exclude the years where the disruption of suddenly having all these Soviet Bloc players in the draft with questionable scouting was in maximum effect; I'd figure by 1995 NHL teams would have their scouting in Eastern Europe sorted out)

Goalie seems to be one difference there, they seem to be pretty variable and good ones from all over the draft.

Edited by MattPie

We drafted EJ Manuel in round 1.... our QB scouts are ###### idiots.

I hear we are looking at Blake Sims and Bryce Petty. Both players not worthy of IMPO of 2nd round selections. Too many question marks.

The team didn't even talk to Blake Sims apparently and there's nothing saying they're interested. He's a 7th rounder or UDFA if anything and not worthy of discussion.

Petty, meanwhile, measured well at the Senior Bowl. Probably not a second rounder but he might be worth a 3rd/4th. Garrett Grayson had a great week as far as the measurables and practice goes but I don't give a ###### about Senior Bowl practices. He's the guy I want right now since none of the top three will be available.

No matter how many times you and Tank say it, he wasn't lasting till the 4th round. He has all the tools, is exceptionally smart, a nice guy and a hard worker. He would have been gone by the end of the second at the latest.

While an overwhelming majority of execs and "experts" panned the pick, there were many that liked the pick for the potential upside. Given the Bills' situation, it wasn't the enormous reach some kid you would like everyone to believe.

You have a hard time keeping me out of your mouth. Sheesh boy.

I never said he'd be available in the 4th. That's the earliest I would've taken him but I always said they could've gotten him possibly even in the 3rd.

This is where I look at the prospects right now:

Jameis Winston - top 5

Marcus Mariota - top 10

Brett Hundley - late 1st/early 2nd

Garrett Grayson - late 2nd

Bryce Petty - late 3rd/early 4th

Shane Carden - late 4th

Sean Mannion - 5th

Edited by Tank

We took a calculated risk on the best physical prospect in a QB-weak draft -- a time where Buddy Nix was surreptitiously recorded saying to another league exec it was a "bad time to need" a QB.

So, yes - those scouts and execs are all idiots. :huh:

Like Nix DIDN'T yet grok the Bills needed a quarterback a year or two earlier? Because Fitz is all ya need! LOL

BTW, The Hoodie threw Cry-baby Brady under the bus - LOLOLOL!!!! He knows NOTHINK!!!! Ask Tom!!!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/bill-belichick-deflate-tom-brady-cheat-super-bowl-press-conference

I was thinking more that "burn in" smell you get from new, larger electronic devices.

Wanna know a terrible smell? My nephew opened a can of salmon and dumped it into a skillet (edit: and proceeded to heat it edit 2: and you know the fire was way too high and you know he walked away for a bit). I begged for the sweet release of death.

Edited by PASabreFan

Wanna know a terrible smell? My nephew opened a can of salmon and dumped it into a skillet (edit: and proceeded to heat it edit 2: and you know the fire was way too high and you know he walked away for a bit). I begged for the sweet release of death.

I bought a packet of dried squid from the Japanese store at Kennedy Airport last week. (It was highly touted by a random customer in the store, and it was only $2.50, so my friends and I decided to try it.) All I can say is, it's a good thing we opened it in the gate area rather than on the plane. There is no word in the English language that describes this particular type and level of pungency.

It also didn't taste very good.

Calm down, everything's going to be alright. All I'm saying is it's a total crapshoot. If anybody really knew how to draft quarterbacks, they'd do it every year and trade them for an obscene return. But that doesn't happen because nobody knows what they're doing. And if you're going to draft somebody "too early" it should be a quarterback. I'll take the decision makers who drafted Manuel 100 times out of 100 over the ones who decided Torel Troupe was a good idea.

My nephew opened a can of salmon and dumped it into a skillet (edit: and proceeded to heat it edit 2: and you know the fire was way too high and you know he walked away for a bit). I begged for the sweet release of death.
I bought a packet of dried squid from the Japanese store at Kennedy Airport last week. (It was highly touted by a random customer in the store, and it was only $2.50, so my friends and I decided to try it.) All I can say is, it's a good thing we opened it in the gate area rather than on the plane. There is no word in the English language that describes this particular type and level of pungency.

So much stink. So much . . . Smell.

Calls to mind a treasured practice of (young) men when living together:

RM1: [Picks up article of clothing, container from fridge] [sniffs for laundered status, freshness] "WHOA! Oh, man." [Proffers to roommate] "You gotta smell this."

RM2: [Obliges, inexplicably] "Ohhh, man. Awful."

Calm down, everything's going to be alright. All I'm saying is it's a total crapshoot. If anybody really knew how to draft quarterbacks, they'd do it every year and trade them for an obscene return. But that doesn't happen because nobody knows what they're doing. And if you're going to draft somebody "too early" it should be a quarterback. I'll take the decision makers who drafted Manuel 100 times out of 100 over the ones who decided Torel Troupe was a good idea.

this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.