Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Remember Eric Fisher? The #1 overall pick by the Chiefs (plays Tackle)? He just lost his starting job, after being terrible in the preseason and ranking 72/84 in Tackle play last season. Can't believe the Chiefs aren't getting slack over this; could you imagine if this was a QB they drafted? Probably, because it'd pretty much be Washington

Who cares about EJ... this is Tyrod's team now!

Did anyone else see some Jim Kelly in there?  Yeah, yeah, yeah, he made the plays, but he also got sacked twice in that series and didn't let it get him down; he simply got the team back to the line of scrimmage and executed.  How many times did you see Kelly get sacked and come back with a big play?  That's what the team needs.

I really hope Carpenter sticks around. He has just been too good in the most crucial situations. Although with a new head coach, I could see why he would be hesitant to assume everything will just work out. 

And they need to do all their homework on this one.  Carpenter may very well bounce back, but what if he doesn't?  Fans are going to be awfully mad if we lose a game on some easy chip shot.  If he's really damaged goods right now, do they really want to run the risk of that happening simply because he's had two good years here?  It's a "what have you done for me lately" game and that will never change.

So, there's this:http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Spygate remains the much bigger cheating scandal than Deflategate. Anyone who thinks Brady is the GOAT really needs to read this and compare his pre and post-Spygate playoff and Super Bowl record. 3-0 in Super Bowls pre Spygate, 1-2 after (thanks Pete Carrol).

And they need to do all their homework on this one. Carpenter may very well bounce back, but what if he doesn't? Fans are going to be awfully mad if we lose a game on some easy chip shot. If he's really damaged goods right now, do they really want to run the risk of that happening simply because he's had two good years here? It's a "what have you done for me lately" game and that will never change.

Paul Hamilton, who for some unknown reason is still reporting on the bills, keeps squawking about how the Bills can just go find a kicker if carpenter can't do the job. You mean like costs the team games that actually matter? Then get rid of him. How about they get a little proactive.

So, there's this:http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Spygate remains the much bigger cheating scandal than Deflategate. Anyone who thinks Brady is the GOAT really needs to read this and compare his pre and post-Spygate playoff and Super Bowl record. 3-0 in Super Bowls pre Spygate, 1-2 after (thanks Pete Carrol).

The fact that a dominant, dynastic team has pervasively cheated and/or pushed the envelope of what's permissible is just not a surprise.

It's despicable. But, as Mrs. Potts would tell you, it's a tale as old as time.

I don't know if anybody else read that whole article but wow...

Some notes about what's inside:

-Pats stole play sheets that included the game plan from the early portions of the game for opposing teams

-Had different headset frequencies so they could communicate the play the other team would run

-Watched and possibly filmed the Rams walkthrough before the Super Bowl

-Goodell asked Martz to put out a false statement to calm the public and somebody actually reworded Martz's statement to include things he never said

-Most owners supported Goodell in the Brady case

-Most owners believe Deflategate punishments were a "make-up" call for how soft Goodell was during the investigation into Spygate

-Goodell's contract expires in 2019 and there's motivation not to re-up

-Kraft or somebody connected with the Patriots offered Arlen Specter, a U.S. Senator, a lot of money to stop investigating them

Also: the Bills re-signed Matt Cassel.

Edited by Hoss

-Pats stole play sheets that included the game plan from the early portions of the game for opposing teams

-Had different headset frequencies so they could communicate the play the other team would run

-Goodell asked Martz to put out a false statement to calm the public and somebody actually reworded Martz's statement to include things he never said

-Most owners believe Deflategate punishments were a "make-up" call for how soft Goodell was during the investigation into Spygate

-Kraft or somebody connected with the Patriots offered Arlen Specter, a U.S. Senator, a lot of money to stop investigating them

So I'm assuming they brought him back on a cheaper deal?

The re-signing Cassel thing is curious to me.

Am I right that this sort of cut and re-sign is not something that would fly in other leagues, namely the NHL? 

This just seems unfamiliar to me.

And I saw a Tweet to the effect that Cassel is the No. 2.

Rex says Matt Cassel will be no 2 on depth chart.

They have guaranteed contracts, it wouldn't benefit the team to make this type of move in other leagues.

I guess that's it. I just don't recall seeing this sort of move, even in the NFL.

More and more, I can't get over how the PA in the NFL allowed/-s its membership to toil under non-guaranteed contracts. They play what is, I think, the most dangerous sport with what I suspect is the shortest average career expectancy. NFL players really get treated like so much cattle.

I guess that's it. I just don't recall seeing this sort of move, even in the NFL.

More and more, I can't get over how the PA in the NFL allowed/-s its membership to toil under non-guaranteed contracts. They play what is, I think, the most dangerous sport with what I suspect is the shortest average career expectancy. NFL players really get treated like so much cattle.

The flip side, of course, is they can also re-negotiate contracts and hold out for a bunch more money if they are underpaid. For example, Duncan Keith could probably double his salary in an NFL-like system.

The flip side, of course, is they can also re-negotiate contracts and hold out for a bunch more money if they are underpaid. For example, Duncan Keith could probably double his salary in an NFL-like system.

Interesting. But the hold-out and re-negotiation tactic is not actually an official part of the NFL's system, is it? My sense is that the players just do it because they have no other choice if they want to get paid more/what they're worth.

So I'm assuming they brought him back on a cheaper deal?

It amazes me how many bills fans I've talked to that were disappointed he was cut. A coworker of mine said, "he was good last year". I had to stomp on him quickly and say no he hasn't been good in 5 years. He couldn't understand what I was saying.

It amazes me how many bills fans I've talked to that were disappointed he was cut. A coworker of mine said, "he was good last year". I had to stomp on him quickly and say no he hasn't been good in 5 years. He couldn't understand what I was saying.

Coming in off the bench w/ limited reps, I'm FAR more comfortable w/ simple & safe (dink & dunk, whatever) Cassel than I am w/ EJ. That could change as the year progresses. Also, if TT has to miss a start for whatever reason, I want EJ getting the start.

As a CHEAP backup, in this season where expectations are high, I am ok w/ Cassel as insurance against another EJ Texans outing. But under no circumstance do I want Cassel being the Bills' next starter after Taylor.

It is entirely possible that the Patriots have been doing this for so long that neither they nor the NFL really consider it "cheating" anymore.  Goodell may have just been picking on Brady in order to make it look like the league was trying to control it.  Frankly, the NFL to me is barely worth watching now.  To much gambling money, too many injuries, too many egos.  I know college football has its own set of issues, but at least the atmosphere of the games is fun and the rivalries are intense.  I do hope the Bills do well since so much civic pride in involved, but I do not care about the rest of the league. I do think it will be interesting to see what kind of reaction the Patriots and Brady get around the league. 

Edited by Sabre Dance

From the limited exposure I had to him in the pre-season, Cassel looked like a distant third behind TT and EJ. No mobility whatsoever. That doesn't fly in today's NFL.

Brady and manning are statues and they are hall of famers. Cassell's biggest issue is his noodle arm. Followed by his lack of field vision then onto his lack of mobility.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.