Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Wall Street Journal has a terrific article on the issue of college football and NFL QB prospects. Google it, if you want to read it. If I link it here, it will paywall you (but if you Google it, you should see it for free).

It is one of the reasons you want to make sure you take a QB from a pro style offense.

Because it's not like our defense was filthy before Rex got here or anything.

was reading some comments across a few message boards and forums and a lot of Colts fans are delirious! They were saying our defense is overrated and that they're going to fly to 30+ points.  I couldn't help but chuckle.  

was reading some comments across a few message boards and forums and a lot of Colts fans are delirious! They were saying our defense is overrated and that they're going to fly to 30+ points.  I couldn't help but chuckle.  

it is within the realm of the possible that the colts hang 30 on the bills.

i don't think any team other than the patriots scored 30+ on the bills last year - and that includes the packers and broncos.

which prompts me to ask, maybe for the first time: what the hell happened with that oakland game last year?!

I honestly think our secondary is going to be God awful, if the front 4 don't completely dominate then I see the bills needing to win some shootout games with Tyrod. I don't trust Darby, Gilmore has injury issues, mckelvin is out. Color me pessimistic but I think we are a 9-7 team..... Hope I'm wrong

Farm systems for QBs are no brainers. How to pay for the farm systems is a different question.

Lord, yes.

I have no idea whether NFL players are required to come through the NCAA. They aren't, are they?

Can we foresee a day when blue chip high schoolers might opt to join an NFL farm system, rather than go to college? I'm thinking specifically of QB prospects at this point. 

Lord, yes.

I have no idea whether NFL players are required to come through the NCAA. They aren't, are they?

Can we foresee a day when blue chip high schoolers might opt to join an NFL farm system, rather than go to college? I'm thinking specifically of QB prospects at this point. 

It's happened a couple times in the NBA. Brandon Jennings and Emmanuel Mudiay went to Europe instead of NCAA. Plus a kid who skipped his senior year of high school to get paid. There just is no local option in the USA. It's college, Europe, or retail job. There's technically no rule against it (as long as you're 1 year out) but it's pretty much "we'll give him an offer he can't refuse". Austin Matthews, the #1 NHL pick next year is considering going to Switzerland or something like that.

My guess the reason we don't have it (besides costs and attendance concerns) is colluding with the NCAA. College kids + NCAA = Billions of dollars. College kids + NFL farm team = Better players but very little profit. Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel would not generate the amount of attention, merchandise, and ticket sales if they weren't in the NCAA. Instead they'd be anonymous coming out like Joe Flacco.

Looks like Enemkpali is suspended 4 games. The Bills also re-signed him.

They added him to the practice squad the day they or day after they cut him. They elevated him to the 53-man roster so they can put him on the suspension list without another team being able to claim him.

it is within the realm of the possible that the colts hang 30 on the bills.

i don't think any team other than the patriots scored 30+ on the bills last year - and that includes the packers and broncos.

which prompts me to ask, maybe for the first time: what the hell happened with that oakland game last year?!

Marrone_doug640.gif

I honestly think our secondary is going to be God awful, if the front 4 don't completely dominate then I see the bills needing to win some shootout games with Tyrod. I don't trust Darby, Gilmore has injury issues, mckelvin is out. Color me pessimistic but I think we are a 9-7 team..... Hope I'm wrong

Not trying to be a wisenheimer -- 9-7 is not a pessimistic prediction for this team.

This might sound harsh and bandwagonish, but suggesting the Bills draft Hackenberg in any round should be a bannable offense. I don't care if we go 0-16 and he's on the board in round 7.

This team is terribly coached and relatively talentless. The fact that he's still alive warrants first-round consideration. He could very well still go high even if his bad season continues.

This team is terribly coached and relatively talentless. The fact that he's still alive warrants first-round consideration. He could very well still go high even if his bad season continues.

To write off his contribution to the mess is nothing more than turning a blind eye. He's part of the problem. Sure, he could get drafted high due to desperation for QBs, but in no way, shape, or form, will it have been earned.

To write off his contribution to the mess is nothing more than turning a blind eye. He's part of the problem. Sure, he could get drafted high due to desperation for QBs, but in no way, shape, or form, will it have been earned.

Does anyone have a good game they can point me to? The few videos I've seen of him on DraftBreakdown weren't promising.

It is one of the reasons you want to make sure you take a QB from a pro style offense.

It's not so much the lack of pro style offenses, it's the type of defenses college QBs face that makes them unprepared for the next level. Rex has alluded to how much quarters coverage these guys see in college, for instance.

GO BILLS!!!

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-09-08/christian-hackenberg-penn-state-nfl-draft-scouting-report-analysis-film-strengths-weaknesses

A breakdown of Hackenberg after last week's game. No QB would find success in this offense. Statistically he's doing what he can.

His freshman season was the only time they had any sort of talent around him and it resulted in two wins against ranked teams (including Wisconsin who had hopes of playing in a BCS game before the loss) and a WR drafted in the second round.

I'm confident that Hackenberg will be drafted early and it will be for good reason. I'm not going to swear on his NFL success (I think he's the perfect example of somebody who could learn from a veteran starter as he regains confidence for a season).

Was it this forum where we had the contest to see who had the best W/L predictions of every game every week over the whole season? Anyone remember that or no?

I'm up for one.  I'll kick it off:

Indianapolis                W

New England              W

@ Miami                     L

NY  Giants                 W

@ Tennessee              W

Cincinnati                   W

Jacksonville (London)   W

Miami                         W

@NY Jets                   W

@ New England           L

@Kansas City             L

Houston                     W

@ Philadelphia            L

@ Washington            W

Dallas                         L

NY Jets                      W

As I said, I'm very optimistic about this team.  I see 11-5, and I had to force a couple of those losses.  I could see our record even better than that, but trying not to be too optimistic

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.