Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Brady and manning are statues and they are hall of famers. Cassell's biggest issue is his noodle arm. Followed by his lack of field vision then onto his lack of mobility.

And at this point in time, his noodle arm shouldn't cost them a game he has to get inserted into. EJ Texans' outing is more likely to cost a game. If EJ comes in to a close game in the 2nd Q after having had limited reps, there is a good chance he'll be overthinking and therefore under performing. If EJ comes into a blowout late, there's no pressure (so no reason to overthink) and no time to overthink anyway.

And if Taylor won't get the nod the following week, give EJ a full week of quality prep and see what he can do.

IMHO, Cassel is the Fish's version of Pennington. Serious noodle arm, seriously immobile, but good enough w/ a great defense & good ST's to not steal their victory.

what does cassel do well? Seriously?

He also turns the ball over a lot for a dink and dunk QB

They're looking for him to be the field general for 90 minutes or less this year and either do a lot of clipboard holding or headset wearing. He is strictly an insurance policy that their QB rating in the 2nd half of a game or 2 that the starter doesn't finish doesn't drop below 75 or so. (He also ensures it won't break 85 either. ;))

He is also an insurance policy that if EJ has to start a game he doesn't have 30 or so minutes of bad QBing like he lived through in Houston a 1 week old memory. His memory is how well he looked vs Pittsburgh and all the talking up the coaches will have given him.

Edited by Taro T

They're looking for him to be the field general for 90 minutes or less this year and either do a lot of clipboard holding or headset wearing. He is strictly an insurance policy that their QB rating in the 2nd half of a game or 2 that the starter doesn't finish doesn't drop below 75 or so. (He also ensures it won't break 85 either. ;))

I think this is precisely right. Cassel's "floor" is higher than EJ's. This team can win/close out some games with a QB rating at ~80.

He is also an insurance policy that if EJ has to start a game he doesn't have 30 or so minutes of bad QBing like he lived through in Houston a 1 week old memory. His memory is how well he looked vs Pittsburgh and all the talking up the coaches will have given him.

I get why he is there and for a small cap hit, I think its a no-lose move.  But from a player standpoint, I dont know if there is anything he does well.  

It is entirely possible that the Patriots have been doing this for so long that neither they nor the NFL really consider it "cheating" anymore.  Goodell may have just been picking on Brady in order to make it look like the league was trying to control it.  Frankly, the NFL to me is barely worth watching now.  To much gambling money, too many injuries, too many egos.  I know college football has its own set of issues, but at least the atmosphere of the games is fun and the rivalries are intense.  I do hope the Bills do well since so much civic pride in involved, but I do not care about the rest of the league. I do think it will be interesting to see what kind of reaction the Patriots and Brady get around the league. 

They quoted Goodell right in the ESPN article: "We need to protect the shield". The shield is billions of dollars. What that meant was we need to keep it in-house in order to protect our profits. 

Arlen Spector only went after them because he had interests with Comcast, who was in negotiations over the NFL TV deal at the time.

great move getting orton jr back at a reduced rate. Tyrod plus EJ waaaaaay too risky. At least Cassel is a proven mediocre starter.

I think this is precisely right. Cassel's "floor" is higher than EJ's. This team can win/close out some games with a QB rating at ~80.

right on the money

The ubiquitous popularity of the monopolistic NFL, which grants their monstrous profitability from advertising and television rights, is provided by an edifice of integrity and righteousness that is advertised and sold, unchallenged.  When the situation finally arises that erodes the shroud of these falsehoods, be it cheating, concussion-related wrongful death, economic scandal, Patriot whathaveyou, the popularity and profitability will fall accordingly.  However, the NFL PR department will do everything within their enormous power to maintain the pristine image and minimize brand damage of the league.

Examine deflategate.  It's a violation of the fundamental integrity of the game, and the violation is unable to be kept secret.  How does the league look afterwards?  "Hey, we did everything we could to punish the offenders, but that was rejected in the court of law. Not really our fault."  How do the Patriots/Brady look?  "Hey, we didn't do anything wrong, and when we thought we were wrongfully punished, we were vindicated in the court of law."  It's a show.  It's an episode of Sports Center Law & Order (doink doink).

But getting pissed off at this result is rooted in the belief of the advertised, pristine image of integrity in the NFL game to begin with.  The NFL advertised and sold that image, and those that are angry, are angry with the actual quality of the product they've been sold.  The outrage is the buyer's remorse of a product that the buyer wanted to pedestal as an institutionalized past time that is impervious to fault because, god dammit, 'Murica.  But what they bought was the sales campaign by a PR team for a mass media cash cow that is managed by a highly polished team of buffoons and has successfully codified eleven minutes of game action per three hours and twelve minutes of advertising telecast into Americana.

If you refuse to buy the infallibility that the NFL self-installs, you don't feel so bad when they spoil it.  And that's a perfectly blissful result.  Know the league will be shitheads, but don't let it stop you from enjoying a good game.  Just hope that most of the games are indeed good.  FOOTBAW!

I'm just really angry after these reports came out. Really, really angry. 

How many close games did we lose to the Pats over the last 10 years? How many times could we have made the playoffs if we just won our Pats games. 

What are our options as fans? Could we get something going and get the local media involved? Eventually get it to the national level? Thoughts? Ideas?

I'm just really angry after these reports came out. Really, really angry. 

How many close games did we lose to the Pats over the last 10 years? How many times could we have made the playoffs if we just won our Pats games. 

What are our options as fans? Could we get something going and get the local media involved? Eventually get it to the national level? Thoughts? Ideas?

Let the past go.

That's assuming the future will be any different than the past. Belichick is still coach. Brady is still QB. Kraft is still owner.

There is an old NASCAR saying, if you ain't cheating you ain't trying.  I'm not about to assume that the rest of the league doesn't have tricks up their sleeve too.  The Bills have finally hired "not nice" guys.  I don't think the plan is to play fair.

If they lose, it's probably on equal terms.

Playing to not lose is no way to win.  If I learned thing following Buffalo sports, that's it.  Bringing Cassel back is playing to not lose.

Playing to not lose is no way to win. If I learned thing following Buffalo sports, that's it. Bringing Cassel back is playing to not lose.

Playing "not to lose" in a single game that your starter broke (IF that even happens) is not the same as playing Jauron-ball. This is simply smart. It is a hedge plain & simple. This team has a very real shot at making the playoffs, it would be foolhardy to double down in-game if TT goes down.

This absolutely is not the same as naming Cassel the #1. THAT would be Jauron-ball.

Did you not see the Cleveland game that EJ got broken? Having a QB that could have had even a 65 QBR, rather than a shell-shocked Jeff Tuel, and the Bills win that game. This is insurance that EJ doesn't end up a mid-game Tuel.

Edited by Taro T

Just read Tim Graham's latest update on F Jax in which the player acknowledged that reuniting with Lynch was a factor in choosing Seattle over NE.

Someone here had said that Jackson's affiliation with Lynch tended to diminish his respect for Jackson. I've heard that same sentiment elsewhere. I wonder why it wouldn't work the other way around.

If you read the espn article you read multiple accounts of the Pats having an uncanny knack of knowing what plays were coming in big games. Sure every team tries to walk that line to gain whatever advantage possible, to believe otherwise is naive. However, IMO its just as naive to think the Pats don't walk that line more often in ways unique only to them and that they dont cross it more often than every other team in the league.

The ubiquitous popularity of the monopolistic NFL, which grants their monstrous profitability from advertising and television rights, is provided by an edifice of integrity and righteousness that is advertised and sold, unchallenged.  When the situation finally arises that erodes the shroud of these falsehoods, be it cheating, concussion-related wrongful death, economic scandal, Patriot whathaveyou, the popularity and profitability will fall accordingly.  However, the NFL PR department will do everything within their enormous power to maintain the pristine image and minimize brand damage of the league.

Examine deflategate.  It's a violation of the fundamental integrity of the game, and the violation is unable to be kept secret.  How does the league look afterwards?  "Hey, we did everything we could to punish the offenders, but that was rejected in the court of law. Not really our fault."  How do the Patriots/Brady look?  "Hey, we didn't do anything wrong, and when we thought we were wrongfully punished, we were vindicated in the court of law."  It's a show.  It's an episode of Sports Center Law & Order (doink doink).

But getting pissed off at this result is rooted in the belief of the advertised, pristine image of integrity in the NFL game to begin with.  The NFL advertised and sold that image, and those that are angry, are angry with the actual quality of the product they've been sold.  The outrage is the buyer's remorse of a product that the buyer wanted to pedestal as an institutionalized past time that is impervious to fault because, god dammit, 'Murica.  But what they bought was the sales campaign by a PR team for a mass media cash cow that is managed by a highly polished team of buffoons and has successfully codified eleven minutes of game action per three hours and twelve minutes of advertising telecast into Americana.

If you refuse to buy the infallibility that the NFL self-installs, you don't feel so bad when they spoil it.  And that's a perfectly blissful result.  Know the league will be shitheads, but don't let it stop you from enjoying a good game.  Just hope that most of the games are indeed good.  FOOTBAW!

If you read the espn article you read multiple accounts of the Pats having an uncanny knack of knowing what plays were coming in big games. Sure every team tries to walk that line to gain whatever advantage possible, to believe otherwise is naive. However, IMO its just as naive to think the Pats don't walk that line more often in ways unique only to them and that they dont cross it more often than every other team in the league.

Both great points.  It's big business and anything goes in order to perpetuate the cash flow.  Think of all the BS calls that happen multiple times every weekend that end up determining the outcome of games.  I don't think the NFL has been legit for a long time, but I still can't stop watching and hoping this is the year that the Bills are the "chosen" winners. 

Just read Tim Graham's latest update on F Jax in which the player acknowledged that reuniting with Lynch was a factor in choosing Seattle over NE.

Someone here had said that Jackson's affiliation with Lynch tended to diminish his respect for Jackson. I've heard that same sentiment elsewhere. I wonder why it wouldn't work the other way around.

I don't understand why anyone has a problem with Lynch at all.  Yeah, there was the incident with the Porsche--seven years ago.  By all accounts, he's a good teammate and he's good to the citizens of Oakland and Seattle.  He's bratty with the media, but, personally, I just find that kind of funny.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.