Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

That is the most mis-represented piece of Belichek history ever. The Bills shredded that defense. The problem was two fold, Levy wouldn't force Kelly to keep pounding Thomas and the defense couldn't make a tackle to save their lives. If either of those things happened, cheating Bill would have been forced to explain his defensive strategy that had his defensive lineman sucking air as Thurman ran through them like a warm knife through butter.

What if he knew Kelly would do exactly what Kelly did?

What if he had been spying for 20 years when he finally got caught?

@zkeefer: Chuck Pagano says that starting running back Frank Gore will be on a pitch count, at least to start the season. Need him for playoffs.

Colt's #2 CB is out against the Bills

@HolderStephen: I have no expectation Greg Toler (neck) will play for #Colts on Sunday, but injury is not a long-term one based on what I've heard. 

Edited by WildCard

That is the most mis-represented piece of Belichek history ever. The Bills shredded that defense. The problem was two fold, Levy wouldn't force Kelly to keep pounding Thomas and the defense couldn't make a tackle to save their lives. If either of those things happened, cheating Bill would have been forced to explain his defensive strategy that had his defensive lineman sucking air as Thurman ran through them like a warm knife through butter.

Quoted for truth. 

How anyone can think a defense that yielded a point a minute to an opposing offense played well is beyond me. That gimmicky 2-5 front was tailor made for TT to run the rock right at them; our Oline would have feasted on the leverage of run blocking against standing D linemen. One oor two series of that and Belichick would have been forced to alter his plans. 

But Kelly's ego got in the way. Marv and Marchibroda should have chewed his ass out and demanded he run the ball. 

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think we can really claim that the Bills' offense shredded the Giants' D if the Bills were only able to hold the ball for 19 minutes.

My recollection is that Andre Reed had a few killer drops.

And that Thurman was incredible.

A defense that allowed the Giants to keep the ball for 41 minutes is what prevented our offense from more possession time. We were a hurry-up offense, anyway. But to put up a point a minute, regardless of Reed's drops, was not indicative of a great Giants defense. Quite the contrary.

Our defense, Kelly's ego, and our coaches, in that order, lost that game. Belichick got lucky.

And Thurman got ripped off.

GO BILLS!!!

Playing "not to lose" in a single game that your starter broke (IF that even happens) is not the same as playing Jauron-ball. This is simply smart. It is a hedge plain & simple. This team has a very real shot at making the playoffs, it would be foolhardy to double down in-game if TT goes down.

This absolutely is not the same as naming Cassel the #1. THAT would be Jauron-ball.

Did you not see the Cleveland game that EJ got broken? Having a QB that could have had even a 65 QBR, rather than a shell-shocked Jeff Tuel, and the Bills win that game. This is insurance that EJ doesn't end up a mid-game Tuel.

Yeah, now that I've had some time to think about it, the move makes sense.  I see Cassel being Reich to Taylor's Kelly- kind of a player-coach.  But if TT goes down and Cassel steps in, I think EJ would start the next game.

A defense that allowed the Giants to keep the ball for 41 minutes is what prevented our offense from more possession time. We were a hurry-up offense, anyway. But to put up a point a minute, regardless of Reed's drops, was not indicative of a great Giants defense. Quite the contrary.

Our defense, Kelly's ego, and our coaches, in that order, lost that game. Belichick got lucky.

And Thurman got ripped off.

GO BILLS!!!

I disagree with most of this. The Bills' D gave up 20 points -- not great but not terrible.

Bottom line is that the Giants' D beat the Bills' offense.

I'm pretty sure Phil caught a third and long pass. Down right sideline. Bills had them like 3rd and 19 and he caught a 21 yard pass.

hmm. actually, as i think on this further, i don't even think mcconkey was on the giants team that the bills played in XXV. his big game was a few years prior to that -- in another SB -- when he caught the long bomb from simms (off of a trick play, i believe) and also a fluky TD (tipped pass?). i can't look it up now, but i think mcconkey wasn't even in the league when the bills played the giants in '91.

hmm. actually, as i think on this further, i don't even think mcconkey was on the giants team that the bills played in XXV. his big game was a few years prior to that -- in another SB -- when he caught the long bomb from simms (off of a trick play, i believe) and also a fluky TD (tipped pass?). i can't look it up now, but i think mcconkey wasn't even in the league when the bills played the giants in '91.

You're right.  I checked.  Someone caught that pass.  I guess I am not correctly remembering who it was.   All these years I swore it was Phil. 

Edit:  Hostetler to Ingram on 3-13 for a first down that ultimately resulted in the go ahead TD.  If they held them there, it was a long field goal (47 yards)  and Buffalo would have been trailing 13-12, not 17-12.

Edited by wjag

Thank the lord: Schefter says Bills signed Marcel Dareus to a six-year, $108 million extension, per source.

Marcel Dareus' deal includes $60 million in guaranteed money, highest guarantee for a non-QB in NFL history. Dareus suspended week 1, too.

Edited by Hoss

You're right.  I checked.  Someone caught that pass.  I guess I am not correctly remembering who it was.   All these years I swore it was Phil. 

Edit:  Hostetler to Ingram on 3-13 for a first down that ultimately resulted in the go ahead TD.  If they held them there, it was a long field goal (47 yards)  and Buffalo would have been trailing 13-12, not 17-12.

Man - good memory (even if the names were wrong). That was a very key play, as you note.

Thank the lord: Schefter says Bills signed Marcel Dareus to a six-year, $108 million extension, per source.

Marcel Dareus' deal includes $60 million in guaranteed money, highest guarantee for a non-QB in NFL history. 

dGdWe.jpg

Edited by That Aud Smell

Signing Dareus just further confirms (for me) that the Pegulas are the sort of owners you want -- when it's time to shell out big money, they find a way to get it done.

I'm not so sure Dareus would've been signed under prior ownership(s) (there was Ralph, and then that period of time when it was sort of Ralph, sort of not).

In my view, if you want to build a contender, you need to retain your elite talents at key positions like DT. 

Yes, he's done some dumb sh!t. I'm not trying to worry about that stuff. Dareus is an absolute beast, and I love that he's a Bill long-term.

Signing Dareus just further confirms (for me) that the Pegulas are the sort of owners you want -- when it's time to shell out big money, they find a way to get it done.

I'm not so sure Dareus would've been signed under prior ownership(s) (there was Ralph, and then that period of time when it was sort of Ralph, sort of not).

In my view, if you want to build a contender, you need to retain your elite talents at key positions like DT. 

Yes, he's done some dumb sh!t. I'm not trying to worry about that stuff. Dareus is an absolute beast, and I love that he's a Bill long-term.

At the very least, he may now feel comfortable spending more for better weed :p

Marcel Dareus' deal includes $60 million in guaranteed money, highest guarantee for a non-QB in NFL history. Dareus suspended week 1, too.

Be careful what you wish for.  There is a non-negligible risk that this contract turns out to be a debacle.

OTOH, I agree with all of this.

Very pleased w/ the Dareus signing. Good to see the Bills continuing the new trend of identifying key personnel and actually retaining them.

Considering all the family tragedy he was dealing w/ not OVERLY concerned w/ his past transgressions. He seems to be getting his head on straight.

Schopp's on the Twitter snarking about how the NFL is "an interior DL league." Meaning, the Bills are missing the boat because it's a QB driven league.

There's some truth to what he's saying, but, as usual, he goes about it in a way that just annoys the spit out of me. I think he makes the list of people I would pay to punch in the face, or pay to watch be punched in the face (I am not a good puncher, and do not want to break my handy-hand).

Anyhoo. The "this is a QB league" dogma seemed to take a hit -- or something like it -- when the WSJ published this piece. Whaley and Rex get a lot of run in it, btw.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.