Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

I mean the concept of suspending him for 4 games over deflating footballs is maybe ridiculous, but the fact that he consistently lied about everything and that his isn't the first time this organization has cheated is pretty bullish IMO. Is there an example in another North American sport where an organization has as blatantly cheated this continuously and reaped prominent success over that same time period, only to go minimally punished? 

Nope.  Cheat, lie, obfuscate, deflect....and receive minimal punishment.  Why would they stop now?

Sure did. Judge Berman's opinion literally says "An arbitrator's factual findings are generally not open to judicial challenge, and we accept the facts as the arbitrator found them." So a federal judge told us we can call Brady a cheater. That's my silver lining here.

LOL! I just read the same quote from Berman's ruling and had the exact same thought. 

GO BILLS!!!

That's the biggest problem. It went from a negative to a positive for Brady. It turned into some sort of victory against injustice.

To a degree. To his rabid Cheatriot followers this will be viewed as vindication unfortunately even though it is a rebuke of how Goodell and the league handled the matter rather than a finding that Marcia (sorry, couldn't stand her as a kid and can't stand him now - they're equal in my book) didn't cheat and lie.

To the rest of the world, he's still a cheater and a liar; much as OJ is a murderer regardless of whether Marcia Clark (so it IS always Marcia ;)) was competant enough to get a conviction or not.

Hopefully the Bills put a world of hurting on him 2 weeks from Sunday.

The old rule "Any publicity is good publicity" may be not true for the league; I think they're big enough at this point where they don't need this kind of publicity to further their market/exposure 

Thanks to this story the NFL was in the news for just about every single day of the offseason.  This was very good for them.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kraft and Goodell are off somewhere in secret right now, sharing a swim in the corporate Scrooge McDuck money pool.

To a degree. To his rabid Cheatriot followers this will be viewed as vindication unfortunately even though it is a rebuke of how Goodell and the league handled the matter rather than a finding that Marcia (sorry, couldn't stand her as a kid and can't stand him now - they're equal in my book) didn't cheat and lie.

To the rest of the world, he's still a cheater and a liar; much as OJ is a murderer regardless of whether Marcia Clark (so it IS always Marcia ;)) was competant enough to get a conviction or not.

Hopefully the Bills put a world of hurting on him 2 weeks from Sunday.

All that matters in the eyes of the fans is that their player is on the field.  They got exactly what they wanted.

This is pretty much where I am as well. 

I'd go a bit further and say that as a (somewhat conflicted) NFL fan, I would not have wanted Brady -- one of the best 2 or 3 players in the game -- to miss 4 games of the season for something so inconsequential.

It's inconsequential for a player to offer compensation to team employees to engage in efforts to undermine the game officials' duty to ensure compliance with league rules? 

GO BILLS!!!

I wish the network coverage would get 10 high school QBs and give them a test to see if they could pick out 3 under inflated balls out of 10 total. My guess is they could do it without error. Then show that film on NFL network.

Thanks to this story the NFL was in the news for just about every single day of the offseason.  This was very good for them.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kraft and Goodell are off somewhere in secret right now, sharing a swim in the corporate Scrooge McDuck money pool.

Aren't they already in the news that much? I mean, they were in the news last year for the Rice fiasco, but that doesn't mean they wanted it. There's no way the league can like what this case has done for their image

I wish the network coverage would get 10 high school QBs and give them a test to see if they could pick out 3 under inflated balls out of 10 total. My guess is they could do it without error. Then show that film on NFL network.

Maybe we should submit it to Mythbusters.

Thanks to this story the NFL was in the news for just about every single day of the offseason. This was very good for them. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kraft and Goodell are off somewhere in secret right now, sharing a swim in the corporate Scrooge McDuck money pool.

If not quite this cynical. I doubt the owners are upset this story has kept the league in the news, but is also guess there not too pleased to come out on the losing end of yet another court decision. Eventually they might end up in court on something that matters...if/when that happens I think they'd prefer not to be there under the leadership of a commissioner who conducts business in a way that always loses. They could have won this case if Goodell don't live and breath arbitrary behavior, all while still getting the same press. I just can't get to a place where I believe the owners don't care at all about continual court losses. Is Goodell's financial value added really that much higher than a potential replacement that he's worth putting up with this stuff for? The NFL could cover Manhattan in qualified candidates if they wanted a new commish.

If not quite this cynical. I doubt the owners are upset this story has kept the league in the news, but is also guess there not too pleased to come out on the losing end of yet another court decision. Eventually they might end up in court on something that matters...if/when that happens I think they'd prefer not to be there under the leadership of a commissioner who conducts business in a way that always loses. They could have won this case if Goodell don't live and breath arbitrary behavior, all while still getting the same press. I just can't get to a place where I believe the owners don't care at all about continual court losses. Is Goodell's financial value added really that much higher than a potential replacement that he's worth putting up with this stuff for? The NFL could cover Manhattan in qualified candidates if they wanted a new commish.

This wasn't just about Brady. This was specific NFL owners vs Bob Kraft. As big a loss for the Colts and Ravens as it is for Goodell. 

I've noticed that whenever there is a major story out that smears a large organization, there is usually in-fighting at the top level. Snowden, Trump, etc. Factions of executives trying to humiliate another faction.

ESPN has been beating this story to death all off-season. If the NFL could get Bill Simmons fired and Bill Polian to change his interview stance in real-time, they can get the Worldwide Leader to cut down on the coverage. Somebody in an important position liked this story. 

Edited by musichunch

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.