Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

I thought it was interesting how Russ Brandon (I believe) answered the question about where the Bills franchise stands in terms of being just on the cusp of the playoffs, or close to actually being a contender. He said they are one and the same. You make the playoffs in the NFL, you are a Super Bowl contender. This clashes pretty strongly with the philosophical underpinnings of the tank, namely that the Sabres aren't trying just to make the playoffs, sneak in and catch fire, but to be a contender year in and year out. Apples and oranges, I guess.

I thought it was interesting how Russ Brandon (I believe) answered the question about where the Bills franchise stands in terms of being just on the cusp of the playoffs, or close to actually being a contender. He said they are one and the same. You make the playoffs in the NFL, you are a Super Bowl contender. This clashes pretty strongly with the philosophical underpinnings of the tank, namely that the Sabres aren't trying just to make the playoffs, sneak in and catch fire, but to be a contender year in and year out. Apples and oranges, I guess.

Could be as simple as in 1 over 1/2 the teams get in and they play best of 7's and in the other only 3/8ths make it and it's a best of 1 each round.

Also, was pretty sure Rex R answered that one.

Edited by Taro T

Brandon is correct, IMO. And this is why, as I've said many times here, I would wager dollar to donuts that the Bills will win a SB before the Sabres will win a Cup. I'd just be playing the odds.

The frickin' Eli Manning led NY Giants have won TWO SBs in recent memory -- TWO! You just need a good QB who catches fire at the right time, plus some combination of a punishing ground game and a top-12 D, stay healthy, get a few good bounces, and you have a good shot at the top prize. Shoot - you only need to win 4 games to win the thing.

The Stanley Cup? That is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Could be as simple as in 1 over 1/2 the teams get in and they play best of 7's and in the other only 3/8ths make it and it's a best of 1 each round.

I heard tell that the league (NFL) was looking to add yet another playoff slot in 2015 or 2016. Sorry no link.

Way to go all Mike Harrington on us. Coaches and players do not believe in tanking, this is not news.

On a more technical level, Taro has it exactly right: the top and bottom seeds in the NFL are closer in talent than in the NHL, and it's easier to pull off an upset if you have to win one game as opposed to four.

Brandon is correct, IMO. And this is why, as I've said many times here, I would wager dollar to donuts that the Bills will win a SB before the Sabres will win a Cup. I'd just be playing the odds.

The frickin' Eli Manning led NY Giants have won TWO SBs in recent memory -- TWO! You just need a good QB who catches fire at the right time, plus some combination of a punishing ground game and a top-12 D, stay healthy, get a few good bounces, and you have a good shot at the top prize. Shoot - you only need to win 4 games to win the thing.

The Stanley Cup? That is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

I heard tell that the league (NFL) was looking to add yet another playoff slot in 2015 or 2016. Sorry no link.

Heard the rumor of upping to 7 in the near future as well. But until it's official, it still is only 3/8 in the dance. It also, could give more lower seeds a legit shot as 1/2 the teams getting a bye no longer would get them and the associated rest and prep time.

Edited by Taro T

The Bills had to win to host the AFL Championship game six days later. The atmosphere was tense, the room quiet.

"Cookie stood up," Maguire recalled, "and said 'I'm going to tell you something. If we don't win this game, I'm going to beat the s--- out of everybody in this locker room.' "

Just then, Bills head coach Lou Saban and assistants Joe Collier, Jerry Smith and John Mazur unwittingly walked into their star fullback's escalating fury.

Maguire continued: "Cookie pointed and said, 'And I'm going to start with you, Coach. I'm going to kick your ass first.' I just sat back in my locker. I knew he meant it."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/24656/cookie-gilchrist-rumbled-right-until-the-end

Rex Ryan answered this question. I was listening online and it was a little hard to distinguish who was talking.

Anyway, I just watched the presser. In the photo opp after it was over, Brandon, Pegula, Ryan and Whaley stood together. Brandon and Whaley cradled footballs. Pegula and Ryan held Bills helmets, and after the helmets were arranged properly by Berchtold, everyone kind of stiffened up. As the Shout song played, Whaley held his football a little higher and smiled. It moved.

I can be satisfied if that's the limit of it.

I watched the whole presser (here). Ryan, maybe not unexpectedly, talks an impressively big game. I can see why players reportedly like him.

Which is why he's not going to throw Sanchez under the bus with something like "Are you kidding me? He was terrible and almost got me fired in year 3. No way!" He gave the only answer he could.

I'm gonna take a swing and say the Bills go with Bradford. Run heavy so he won't get hit all that often, young but a vet in his own right, probably pretty cheap (cheaper than trading for Cutler anyways), still has a pretty high ceiling....

Worse case scenario with Bradford, he gets hurt again and we settle for EJ throwing 16 attempts a game and 17-14 wins for the Bills

Darkhorse in the race (well, I haven't seen it mentioned here at least)....Brian Hoyer

I'm gonna take a swing and say the Bills go with Bradford. Run heavy so he won't get hit all that often, young but a vet in his own right, probably pretty cheap (cheaper than trading for Cutler anyways), still has a pretty high ceiling....

Worse case scenario with Bradford, he gets hurt again and we settle for EJ throwing 16 attempts a game and 17-14 wins for the Bills

Darkhorse in the race (well, I haven't seen it mentioned here at least)....Brian Hoyer

Bradford is still under contract and all signs point to him remaining in St. Louis.

I had to carry that over from the locked thread. I just found it very plausible that Marrone talked to his best buddy, who Pegula rolled over for and "donated" an extra couple million to keep him at Penn St., only for him to bolt the next year anyway. I'm sure O'Brien told Douggie that if he was really wanted, Pegula would roll over for him. If he balked, he was probably fired in a few weeks anyway, so why not get $4 million and come work with your Brah for an extra million or two if worst comes to worst.

What does this have to do with Hughes?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.