Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

So everyone reports to Terry. Makes sense. Why would a coach report to the GM? Report to the guy who knows nothing about the sport. This confirms in my mind that the Bills were the big prize all along, as this kind of meddling dwarfs anything Terry did at the Sabres. Which is good news. I can't imagine Terry has the interest, or mental capacity, to meddle at this level on two fronts.

Seriously, no one here can say they'd like a similar arrangement for the Sabres. Nolan reporting to Pegula? Someone can disagree, Because It's PA's Opinion™ and Because Terry's The Owner™, in three, two, one...

Edited by PASabreFan

So everyone reports to Terry. Makes sense. Why would a coach report to the GM? Report to the guy who knows nothing about the sport. This confirms in my mind that the Bills were the big prize all along, as this kind of meddling dwarts anything Terry did at the Sabres. Which is good news. I can't imagine Terry has the interest, or mental capacity, to meddle at this level on two fronts.

Seriously, no one here can say they'd like a similar arrangement for the Sabres. Nolan reporting to Pegula? Someone can disagree, Because It's PA's Opinion™ and Because Terry's The Owner™, in three, two, one...

I will admit: It's pretty strange for the management structure to be set up that way.

There was a blog piece that attempted to determine -- a year ago or so -- how management structures aer set up in the NFL -- here's the link:

http://www.thephinsi...lly-runs-a-team

Evidently, Rex reported directly to the Jets owner, too. (I understand that the decision to have the HC report to Pegula was made before they hired Rex.)

Here's what I will say in an effort to mitigate the appearance that Pegula is poised to become a meddler without equal: Head coaches in the NFL are enormously important -- hugely so. The importance of a head coach in the NFL is, IMO, far, far greater than it is in any other professional sport. So maybe it makes sense for that person to have a direct line to the owner -- just given how important he is to the franchise.

OTOH, God save us all if those conversations involve Terry saying things like, "Uh-huh . . . sure . . . right . . . and, hey, before I let you go, Rex, I can't help but think that we'd be better off having that kid that Doug drafted from Iowa coming in as that nickel corner or whatever. I love that kid. I saw him play against Penn State!"

EDIT: Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus, the Bengals. I had no idea. Well, and the Cowboys. But them I knew about.

EDIT 2: It actually looks like HC --> Owner is not all that unusual.

Edited by That Aud Smell

So everyone reports to Terry. Makes sense. Why would a coach report to the GM? Report to the guy who knows nothing about the sport. This confirms in my mind that the Bills were the big prize all along, as this kind of meddling dwarfs anything Terry did at the Sabres. Which is good news. I can't imagine Terry has the interest, or mental capacity, to meddle at this level on two fronts.

Yes, but only because a 1 out of 10 is an infinite multiple of 0 out of 10.

Serious question: do you think TP buying the Sabres was some kind of sinister move designed to improve his chances of getting the Bills?

I will admit: It's pretty strange for the management structure to be set up that way.

There was a blog piece that attempted to determine -- a year ago or so -- how management structures aer set up in the NFL -- here's the link:

Evidently, Rex reported directly to the Jets owner, too. (I understand that the decision to have the HC report to Pegula was made before they hired Rex.)

Here's what I will say in an effort to mitigate the appearance that Pegula is poised to become a meddler without equal: Head coaches in the NFL are enormously important -- hugely so. The importance of a head coach in the NFL is, IMO, far, far greater than it is in any other professional sport. So maybe it makes sense for that person to have a direct line to the owner -- just given how important he is to the franchise.

OTOH, God save us all if those conversations involve Terry saying things like, "Uh-huh . . . sure . . . right . . . and, hey, before I let you go, Rex, I can't help but think that we'd be better off having that kid that Doug drafted from Iowa coming in as that nickel corner or whatever. I love that kid. I saw him play against Penn State!"

EDIT: Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus, the Bengals. I had no idea. Well, and the Cowboys. But them I knew about.

I'm ok w/ Ryan not reporting to the GM. Guys w/ that much of a name tend to get a bit more autonomy than the Marrones of the league get. That a 1st time coach also wouldn't have reported to Whaley would have been more problematic had it happened.

HC the whowhat the owner?

I do not want to believe that Terry would ever dictate a player move to his head coach, but Terry did again yesterday say that he likes everyone to offer their opinion about everything. So there's that.

Serious question: do you think TP buying the Sabres was some kind of sinister move designed to improve his chances of getting the Bills?

Sinister is a great word. I wouldn't say such a thing was sinister. I bet the Bills were part of the thought process though. But, yeah, I long ago stopped believing that Terry buying the Sabres was all about a big fan wanting to win a Cup. There's no Santa, either.

At the transfer of ownership press conference, Pegula was asked if he wanted to buy the Bills all along, or if it was just a thought after buying the Sabres.....his response was,

"You don't tip your hand as to what you really want."

He then said he was a football guy.

I posted a bunch of this the day it happened.

Cardale Jones is set to announce his decision today at 2 pm. Kiper said he believes he would be a second round pick after all the workouts and pro days are done... Also said he believes he could be a top five pick next year if he goes back and starts at OSU.

Here's your answer.

Please read the first few Q+A.....

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/OwnerCEO-Terry-Pegula-Introductory-Press-Conference/8233e5e9-71f9-47f2-8f05-4a48dc28c4ab

"People assume I'm a hockey guy because I bought the Sabres...but they were available 4 years ago."

"I'm a football guy."

"I recruit high school athletes to colleges."

"Sometimes you don't tip your hand......"

If the Sabres were to get in position for the Bills, is everything to get in position for fracking? Who knows. Read the man's own words. Then I hope some here hesitate before insulting those who raise eyebrows.

Cardale Jones is set to announce his decision today at 2 pm. Kiper said he believes he would be a second round pick after all the workouts and pro days are done... Also said he believes he could be a top five pick next year if he goes back and starts at OSU.

I know teams are desperate at QB and Jones looked great...but I cannot fathom a team using a second round pick on a guy with three starts. That's insane.

Whaley mentioned as much as he could about what process they would use to evaluate a player with three career starts. Heavy emphasis on face to face meetings and private workouts would need to be done.

He is the type of player if the Bills Drafted, the media would call a huge mistake.

However if the Pats drafted him, it would be another genius move by The Hoodie

Based on what I saw I think Cardale Jones is a faster Big Ben. WOW! Right? But that's three starts. Michael Vick once had a three-start streak in Atlanta that caused ESPN to debate whether or not he was better than Brady and Manning...

I don't know. I'm a fan of Hundley. Petty would be good in the 4th. I'm warming up to Garrett Grayson. Otherwise I would take a flyer on Sean Mannion in the 6th/7th. I'm will withhold true opinion on Cardale. Cut tells me not to touch him early due to lack of experience.

Here's your answer.

Please read the first few Q+A.....

http://www.buffalobi...05-4a48dc28c4ab

"People assume I'm a hockey guy because I bought the Sabres...but they were available 4 years ago."

"I'm a football guy."

"I recruit high school athletes to colleges."

"Sometimes you don't tip your hand......"

If the Sabres were to get in position for the Bills, is everything to get in position for fracking? Who knows. Read the man's own words. Then I hope some here hesitate before insulting those who raise eyebrows.

He wasn't interested in the Bills until AFTER he bought the Sabres.

Q: You said your interest in purchasing the team went back farther than we knew. Can you elaborate on that?

TP: Well, Kim and I had discussions for several years, especially since being successful with the Sabres. I guess the fear the fans had was an innate fear we had. What’s up with the Bills? Do we want this team to leave town? And the answer was obviously no. It’s a great franchise. I didn’t know it at the time, but it’s the only original AFL team to be named by its original city for all those years. So it went back to probably after we bought the Sabres, and it accelerated with time. I know you asked me why I said I wasn’t interested in the Bills. Well, why not? You don’t want to tip your hand in things you’re interested in sometimes.

Read the man's own words.

Thank you. I didn't have time to post a thorough response, but suffice it to say that GoDD's theory is NOT supported by that interview and that those quotes are taken well out of context.

Probably? That's a tell word. I think common sense would dictate that a big football guy (and I believe he is one) had some interest in the Bills before buying the Sabres. Everyone knew Ralph wouldn't last forever.

TP: Well, Kim and I had discussions for several years, especially since being successful with the Sabres.

Probably? That's a tell word. I think common sense would dictate that a big football guy (and I believe he is one) had some interest in the Bills before buying the Sabres. Everyone knew Ralph wouldn't last forever.

TP: Well, Kim and I had discussions for several years, especially since being successful with the Sabres.

FWIW, my wife and I have had discussions about various things (moving to the PNW, Buffalo, going to Peru for vacation) for several years now and that doesn't mean we have some evil-genius plan to make it all happen. "Hey Terry, we should buy the Bills some day when Ralph sells the team." "Yeah, that'd be awesome.". That's a discussion. "Wow, Ralph died yesterday, should we put a bid in on the team?" "Yeah, I think we should."

Edited by MattPie

FWIW, my wife and I have had discussions about various things (moving to the PNW, Buffalo, going to Peru for vacation) for several years now and that doesn't mean we have some evil-genius plan to make it all happen.

Wait you are planning on conquering Peru? Sweet!

I'm ok w/ Ryan not reporting to the GM. Guys w/ that much of a name tend to get a bit more autonomy than the Marrones of the league get. That a 1st time coach also wouldn't have reported to Whaley would have been more problematic had it happened.

Good point. I was going to add something to that effect. Howevah, it was reportedly a decision made before they settled on Rex, so it could've been with a first-time HC.

I know teams are desperate at QB and Jones looked great...but I cannot fathom a team using a second round pick on a guy with three starts. That's insane.

GIven the importance of the position and the kid's evident skill set, it is not insane. It is a risk, but not one I would reject taking out of hand. Any QB-needy team must be taking a hard look at the kid.

The small sample size is a HUGE concern, though. If he could be had in the second round, though? Probably worth the risk. Probably.

But if he were to project only in the second round, then I don't know why he would not go back to Ohio State, win the job (I mean, if you're an NFL talent, you should be able to do some stuff), and get himself some top-5 overall money.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Thank you.

Watch him talk as he says all of it. You can read the words, but watch the presser as he says the part about not telling what you're really interested in.

It's amazing how people need to protect a billionaire to some cozy vision. He out and out says people assume he is a bigger hockey guy, but he is a football guy.

Thank you. I didn't have time to post a thorough response, but suffice it to say that GoDD's theory is NOT supported by that interview and that those quotes are taken well out of context.

Go watch him talk.

Good point. I was going to add something to that effect. Howevah, it was reportedly a decision made before they settled on Rex, so it could've been with a first-time HC.

GIven the importance of the position and the kid's evident skill set, it is not insane. It is a risk, but not one I would reject taking out of hand. Any QB-needy team must be taking a hard look at the kid.

The small sample size is a HUGE concern, though. If he could be had in the second round, though? Probably worth the risk. Probably.

But if he were to project only in the second round, then I don't know why he would not go back to Ohio State, win the job (I mean, if you're an NFL talent, you should be able to do some stuff), and get himself some top-5 overall money.

What? You care talking about Cardale Jones right?

What? You care talking about Cardale Jones right?

yes he is...

His three starts (all wins) were all big stage games. He won the Big10 championship game, the Sugar Bowl, and outplayed the Heisman winner in the National Championship. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, but I am of the firm belief that he needs at least 1 more year in NCAA, but he's have to ward off JT Barrett as starter.

Thank you.

Watch him talk as he says all of it. You can read the words, but watch the presser as he says the part about not telling what you're really interested in.

It's amazing how people need to protect a billionaire to some cozy vision. He out and out says people assume he is a bigger hockey guy, but he is a football guy.

Go watch him talk.

Wait. Am I supposed to "read his own words" or am I supposed to infer from his inflection and body language? You are much less confusing when you write in your amazing metaphors.

yes he is...

His three starts (all wins) were all big stage games. He won the Big10 championship game, the Sugar Bowl, and outplayed the Heisman winner in the National Championship. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, but I am of the firm belief that he needs at least 1 more year in NCAA, but he's have to ward off JT Barrett as starter.

Marcus Mariotta - 24/37, 333yrds, 2td

Cardale Jones - 16/23, 242yrds, 1td

... A QB with no game tape was able to beat a Alabama team and Oregon team which is impressive, however he wasn't the reason they won. A contributing factor yes, but the sole reason, no. OSU run game and defense are what allowed them to win. Cardale Jones is not a 2nd round pick and probably isn't above a 5th round pick. Feel free to take a flyer on him but if the Bills draft him with a 2nd I will actually become a Falcons fan because this franchise has reached f##k#ng idiots status.

Edited by LGR4GM

I took the structure as a clear indication that Pegula did not want a repeat of whatever wars were happening between Whaley and Marrone. It's good the line is clearly drawn, although why Terry is qualified to arbitrate any dispute between those two is a good question.

It would be weird if Nolan reported to Pegula not Murray; that's not how it's done in hockey.

But it doesn't seem that odd for football.

Of course (not tipping my hand) I may only seem to be more of a hockey guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.