Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

We would likely be the team adding something to get Eberle.

Hmm, how about.....

Myers, Stafford/Stewart, a 3rd rounder and Hodgson for Eberle and Nurse and their 2nd rounder

It would sorta be Myers for Eberle in terms of high end youngster for high end youngster, Nurse would fill the loss on D to our depth and Hodgson and Stafford cover any offsetting problems.

Hmm, how about.....

Myers, Stafford/Stewart, a 3rd rounder and Hodgson for Eberle and Nurse and their 2nd rounder

It would sorta be Myers for Eberle in terms of high end youngster for high end youngster, Nurse would fill the loss on D to our depth and Hodgson and Stafford cover any offsetting problems.

So we want Eberle AND Nurse? That's not going to happen for Myers and a couple expiring contracts... You're always very low on your trade ideas.

Myers, Stewart and a pick might get Eberle, though. Myers and Hodgson might get it done, too.

Dreger said most recent request from Buff to Detroit for Myers was Larkin and Kindl. Said it's too much for Detroit.

I liked Larkin from the scouting reports last year but I'd hope for more coming back for Myers.

Also, if we're asking for Larkin and Kindl, there's no rush from our standpoint. Larkin is 3 games into his college career; that means he's a long ways off from helping us *and* that we should probably give it some time to see how he adjusts to the college game.

Well if the deal was Mantha and (whatever) for Myers I might be more inclined to listen. 57goals in 57 games is impressive even in the Q. Larkin, while a player I like just doesn't cut for Tyler Myers. Myers is an established top 4 defender with both PK and PP skills. I mean Boychuk got 2 2nds and a conditional 3rd. Myers is only going for a former 1st round pick and a spare defender? That isn't close to right. 30yr old Boychuk isn't worth almost the same as 24 year old Myers.

Murray tried to trade 3, 2nd rounders to get a guy like Larkin, and was turned down by 6 teams. Also, look what he gave up for Fasching who was recently drafted.

Get them out of here......Tim can hire his new coach, just let Tim bring in the guys he likes.

So we want Eberle AND Nurse? That's not going to happen for Myers and a couple expiring contracts... You're always very low on your trade ideas.

Myers, Stewart and a pick might get Eberle, though. Myers and Hodgson might get it done, too.

I was going for more or less Stafford + Myers + 2nd/3rd rounder = Eberle + human Myers won a Calder after all and is a freak of nature, Stafford has scored 30 and is a 20 goal guy usually, along with Eberle being about a 60 to 70 point guy. It's hard to judge Myers vs Eberle's trade value as it is

I was going for more or less Stafford + Myers + 2nd/3rd rounder = Eberle + human Myers won a Calder after all and is a freak of nature, Stafford has scored 30 and is a 20 goal guy usually, along with Eberle being about a 60 to 70 point guy. It's hard to judge Myers vs Eberle's trade value as it is

Myers winning the Calder is a mute point in this. That is old news by now. His also being a freak of nature isn't that big of deal because even though he is big he doesn't play big. We will get a decent return for him but nothing like some of you expect.

That Calder trophy is ancient history in a profession where what have you done for me lately is the rule. It is virtually meaningless at this point. And being a freak of nature has no trade value.

I don't know where to start but trading a good player to a rival who desperately needs him AND pay a large portion of his salary? I'd rather have 10 more seasons like this.

I cannot agree with you more. Unless its Subban and others coming back the appeal of taking a chunk of his salary for a 2nd rounder is asinine. While I do agree that asking Subban is ridiculous, I wouldn't move Stewart to a rival like that otherwise.

It looks like Larsson's name in NJ is available. While it might be a gamble, that's a pedigree that I would love see installed in Buffalo. Still only 21.

I cannot agree with you more. Unless its Subban and others coming back the appeal of taking a chunk of his salary for a 2nd rounder is asinine. While I do agree that asking Subban is ridiculous, I wouldn't move Stewart to a rival like that otherwise.

It looks like Larsson's name in NJ is available. While it might be a gamble, that's a pedigree that I would love see installed in Buffalo. Still only 21.

I tend to agree, although not as much with the salary part. While the rivalries still exist, the best way to solve those issues are to get the best return for our assets and kick those rivals in the nuts for years starting in 2016. If keeping half of Stewarts salary for the rest of the year gets us more coming back, I'm all for it no matter who we're helping.

I would move Stewart to any team who wanted him as long as the return was good. As far as Myers, there are only 2 players on this team I actually notice (in a good way) and he is one of them (Z is the other). Outside of these two, I would trade anyone in a heartbeat. The problem is that everyone on this roster is going to get a pretty crappy return. If they want to get rid of Myers, have fun watching even more of a disgraceful product on the ice while adding time to the rebuild. This defense as it stands sucks now and it will be atrocious without him.

Ok for no other reason than conversation IF we have the 2nd pick is the difference between Eichle and Hannifan too big that if the team with the 3rd pick offered us a great package that included the 3rd pick do you consider it?

Now before you butcher me just consider all the variables. One he is in college and may have no desire to leave until we are relevant. Two by having Hannifan you more than adequately replace Myers who you move for NHL ready players. Three by trading the 2nd pick you pick up more NHL ready players. Four we already have Grigo, Girgs, and Samson in the center pipeline.

I know it sounds crazy but I do not feel Eichle is McDavid. McDavid I do not even contemplate moving. Just food for thought.

I will add another twist. If you pick Eichle do you move one of the other guys?

Edited by sicknfla

Ok for no other reason than conversation IF we have the 2nd pick is the difference between Eichle and Hannifan too big that if the team with the 3rd pick offered us a great package that included the 3rd pick do you consider it?

Now before you butcher me just consider all the variables. One he is in college and may have no desire to leave until we are relevant. Two by having Hannifan you more than adequately replace Myers who you move for NHL ready players. Three by trading the 2nd pick you pick up more NHL ready players. Four we already have Grigo, Girgs, and Samson in the center pipeline.

I know it sounds crazy but I do not feel Eichle is McDavid. McDavid I do not even contemplate moving. Just food for thought.

From what I have read on Eichel, he is too good to pass on. He is a generational talent by himself and it sounds like he will spend his entire career proving why he should have been the first overall pick. Yes I would move a center if the price is right. This is where I could see a deal getting done with EDM, after the draft order is finalized. A center for a winger perhaps?

I think you still pick him. I don't know that many college kids getting $0 from the NCAA are going to forego the entry-level salary in the NHL and fulfil (presumably) a life-long dream in the process. Maybe the Sabres already have one better center (BIG maybe), but I find it really hard to believe we have two better already. I doubt the holder of pick #3 is going to offer enough to make that trade worthwhile, but I'd certainly listen.

And if the Sabres pick Eichel, I'd expect someone to get moved if they don't show the ability to play wing. We also have to remember that for all the guys in the pipeline, the hit rate for 1st rounders is still only 50%, so at least one of those players aren't going make the cut in the long run (unless Darcy was a genius at drafting).

Edited by MattPie

To the Dreger thing, I think he is full of it. The price can stay wherever Murray wants because we don't really have a reason to trade Myers. It has to come down? I am sorry why would the price of a 24yr old defender Calder winner former first round pick come down from another former first round pick? That is just asinine.

Eberle would be okay but I'm not sure of the price to get him.

I read the Dreger thing as his commentary based on the situation or reflecting the Detroit thoughts. I don't think Dreger is commenting on Buffalo in and of itself. Clearly, if Detroit asks what it takes and Buffalo responds and no deal is done then the price was not right and the only way Detroit refuses is if the price is too high. I wouldn't read anymore into Dreger's comments than that.

As for the rest, stupid things have happened in the NHL. I'll just watch.

I think you still pick him. I don't know that many college kids getting $0 from the NCAA are going to forego the entry-level salary in the NHL and fulfil (presumably) a life-long dream in the process. Maybe the Sabres already have one better center (BIG maybe), but I find it really hard to believe we have two better already. I doubt the holder of pick #3 is going to offer enough to make that trade worthwhile, but I'd certainly listen.

And if the Sabres pick Eichel, I'd expect someone to get moved if they don't show the ability to play wing. We also have to remember that for all the guys in the pipeline, the hit rate for 1st rounders is still only 50%, so at least one of those players aren't going make the cut in the long run (unless Darcy Kevin Devine was a genius at drafting).

Fixed

I read the Dreger thing as his commentary based on the situation or reflecting the Detroit thoughts. I don't think Dreger is commenting on Buffalo in and of itself. Clearly, if Detroit asks what it takes and Buffalo responds and no deal is done then the price was not right and the only way Detroit refuses is if the price is too high. I wouldn't read anymore into Dreger's comments than that.

As for the rest, stupid things have happened in the NHL. I'll just watch.

Murray has no reason to trade Myers for less than what GMTM wants. Period.

I disagree completely with the Mike Wilson comparison. I don't think it is a fair one at all. Myers is a top 4 d man on any team in this league. Buffalo tried to force Wilson into a top 4 role, but he was never that guy. Myers is way more mobile than Wilson, and has actually demonstrated way more offensive ability as well. Is Myers a disappointment after the promise of his rookie year? Hell yeah. But he's nowhere near Mike Wilson level bad.

I think a fairer comparison from the same era would be Richard Smehlik. We all wanted him to be more dominating defensively and physically. Heaven knows he had the size and ability to be. Like Smehlik, it seems like Myers game, both offensively and defensively, could be better than what he's shown. But also like Smehlik, he's a legit decent D man on any team.

Now, the question is, what is a guy with Schmelik-like value and skill worth to a team like Detroit or Anaheim?

well, I disagree with your disagreement. Smehlik is Myers' upside in my opinion. He was exactly like Mike Wilson the past couple years (outside of an occasional burst, he fell a lot, and got beat on the outside). Hopefully this year he'll progress past that. Disagreement aside, I'm just excited you drew a comparison and gave a thoughtful opinion outside of the typical "he's a good skater", "he has size", "he won the Calder and has potential".

TM definitely has time to wait with Myers(or not trade him at all).

On the other hand, if this season continues to go south QUICKLY, if I was him I would not be afraid to pull the quick trigger on Stafford or Stewart if a reasonable offer is made. Keep in mind, if they go down with a serious injury, their trade value falls to zero ASAP, and the Sabres see them walk away with no return next July 1st.

I spent some time looking at the Detroit pipeline. No charts as of yet because it needs more work, but I can talk about what I believe.

From my model's point of view, the Red Wings have terrible early round picks, yet wonderful late round picks. This implies to me that the person watching Youtube of Dylan Larkin highlights selecting the first round pick is a different person than whomever is finding Axel Holmstrom in round 7. I haven't been through every pick, but Holmstrom (featured on the 2014 rakish draft board), Mattias Janmark, Julius Vahatola, all great late round picks. The model doesn't like Larkin (for where he was picked), Turgeon (the son), Bertuzzi (the nephew)

I think the easiest way to do this is to do a Sabres/Red Wings pipeline mashup, not counting Nyqvist, because he's out of the pipeline.

1 Reinhart

2 Risto

3 Mantha

4 McCabe

5 Baptiste

6 Sproul

7 Fasching

8 Grigo

9 Compher

10 Holmstrom

So who do you want if you're trading with Detroit? I like Sproul, Holmstrom, Janmark, Vahatola, Athanasious, but enough to give up Myers, no thank you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.