Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Depending on how things play out this year with the lottery, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us move one of our extra first round picks in an attempt to get a more immediate return. They'll certainly have the ammo for some moves if they do land either of McEichel.

I would be surprised if we DIDN'T deal one of both of the lower firsts to upgrade the roster. We've stockpiled the largest number of assets I can remember a team having, and it's almost time to liquidate.

I am not so sure if in the deepest draft since 2003 we should be trading away 1st round picks. That being said I suppose the value of those picks would be high enough to make me complete ignore the first sentence I wrote.

It's deep, but the top is what matters. If these two teams are picking in the mid-20s then I don't really care what we do with them.

That is fair. It is suppose to be a deep draft. I would be more then happy trying to move some of our huge stable of second rounders from years past if there is a market (which I'm sure there is for most of the 2013 class).

I can't bear this. No more trading away the future for picks. All that does is put us in 2017, trading away our 2015 picks for more picks. And the same two years later. I want players, dammit!

Edited by Eleven

It's deep, but the top is what matters. If these two teams are picking in the mid-20s then I don't really care what we do with them.

Ryan Getzlaf, drafted 19th overall, Corey Perry 28th overall, Ryan Kesler 23rd overall, Mike Richards 24th overall. Just saying that Murray will have to be smart if he does trade one or both of those picks.

Ryan Getzlaf, drafted 19th overall, Corey Perry 28th overall, Ryan Kesler 23rd overall, Mike Richards 24th overall. Just saying that Murray will have to be smart if he does trade one or both of those picks.

Okay? Didn't say that you can't get good players there. The odds are about 50/50.

Maybe we can get one of those guys drafted in the 20s that is good... In a trade.

I hear ya 11. I'm saying to trade away some of our prospects for NHL ready guys at the end of the season. In a deep draft I still want us to use most of our 2015 picks unless we can package some to move up in the draft.

I'm not in principle against trading anyone on this roster, or any single pick. Provided the return makes me giddy with happiness.

We've been through this. Again, I suggest that an "elite" player should lift up his teammates and should win the battles against the other team's best. All teams have "first pair" defensemen who play in all situations and go up against the opponent's best every night. All of these 20-30 minute d-men at various times throughout the game are paired with different forward lines from their own team. The top teams have guys who win the best-on-best battles with the other team's best. The top teams have d-men who are able to generate offense (e.g., break out of the zone, start the rush) regardless of which forward line they're on the ice with. I watch Shea Weber regularly down here in Nashville and he performs regardless of whom he is paired with, regardless of which forwards he is going up against (it is always the league's best), and regardless of which Preds forward line is on the ice.

... my high-level suggestion is when a team is really bad over an extended period of time, sometimes the big minute players are simply not as good as the other team's big minute players. I agree with everyone that one reason Myers gets huge minutes is his teammates are terrible. But, I should see him dominate once in a while if he truly is a special player and I just don't see it. For example, he leads the team in power play minutes but has no points. I think what some see as "great play" by Myers is average play by other team's standards and the reference point is lowered because our other defensemen are so terrible (and yes, I know most here disagree with me).

I agree with you totally. I am totally baffled why people think Myers is anything special. I will admit he has been solid so far this year, which is a huge departure from how he started other seasons. But I haven't seen him do anything spectacular. Nobody ever seems to respond, but I am genuinely curious what people think his upside is. Nobody ever wants to hear this, but he draws serious comparisons to Mike Wilson, another large defenseman from years gone by. Myers has more offensive ability than Wilson, but on the defensive side, I see no difference. Neither of them utilize(d) their size properly. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, what is the point of having a 6'8 defenseman who isn't intimidating? The guy doesn't have to fight everyone in sight or throw huge checks every shift, but he could skate with a carton of eggs out there without breaking any right now. So to me, his size doesn't mean anything. His skating ability is really nothing to write home about either. "Skates well for a big man" is an under-handed compliment. It equates to...."Wow, I would expect you to fall over every two seconds, so the fact you show some dexterity is amazing".

I agree with you totally. I am totally baffled why people think Myers is anything special. I will admit he has been solid so far this year, which is a huge departure from how he started other seasons. But I haven't seen him do anything spectacular. Nobody ever seems to respond, but I am genuinely curious what people think his upside is. Nobody ever wants to hear this, but he draws serious comparisons to Mike Wilson, another large defenseman from years gone by. Myers has more offensive ability than Wilson, but on the defensive side, I see no difference. Neither of them utilize(d) their size properly. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, what is the point of having a 6'8 defenseman who isn't intimidating? The guy doesn't have to fight everyone in sight or throw huge checks every shift, but he could skate with a carton of eggs out there without breaking any right now. So to me, his size doesn't mean anything. His skating ability is really nothing to write home about either. "Skates well for a big man" is an under-handed compliment. It equates to...."Wow, I would expect you to fall over every two seconds, so the fact you show some dexterity is amazing".

I'm not looking to trade away every player on the Sabres who is older than 20, but this description is right on the money, and makes me wonder why everyone thinks a Myers trade should bring us the gold at the end of the rainbow.

PS Nowhere is it stated what Anaheim or Detroit are offering up, or where Myers would fit on their blueline. No mention of Myers being acquired as a top pairing defenseman.

Edited by LabattBlue

I disagree completely with the Mike Wilson comparison. I don't think it is a fair one at all. Myers is a top 4 d man on any team in this league. Buffalo tried to force Wilson into a top 4 role, but he was never that guy. Myers is way more mobile than Wilson, and has actually demonstrated way more offensive ability as well. Is Myers a disappointment after the promise of his rookie year? Hell yeah. But he's nowhere near Mike Wilson level bad.

I think a fairer comparison from the same era would be Richard Smehlik. We all wanted him to be more dominating defensively and physically. Heaven knows he had the size and ability to be. Like Smehlik, it seems like Myers game, both offensively and defensively, could be better than what he's shown. But also like Smehlik, he's a legit decent D man on any team.

Now, the question is, what is a guy with Schmelik-like value and skill worth to a team like Detroit or Anaheim?

I disagree completely with the Mike Wilson comparison. I don't think it is a fair one at all. Myers is a top 4 d man on any team in this league. Buffalo tried to force Wilson into a top 4 role, but he was never that guy. Myers is way more mobile than Wilson, and has actually demonstrated way more offensive ability as well. Is Myers a disappointment after the promise of his rookie year? Hell yeah. But he's nowhere near Mike Wilson level bad.

I think a fairer comparison from the same era would be Richard Smehlik. We all wanted him to be more dominating defensively and physically. Heaven knows he had the size and ability to be. Like Smehlik, it seems like Myers game, both offensively and defensively, could be better than what he's shown. But also like Smehlik, he's a legit decent D man on any team.

Now, the question is, what is a guy with Schmelik-like value and skill worth to a team like Detroit or Anaheim?

I hate you for this. Smehlik was my prime whipping boy back in the day. I like Myers, and now I have to mentally wrestle with this? :death:

I hate you for this. Smehlik was my prime whipping boy back in the day. I like Myers, and now I have to mentally wrestle with this? :death:

Don't worry. Myers is NOT Smehlik. He may or may not be Chara some day, but he is not and will not be Smehlik, as long as the coaching staff reminds him that brighter days are ahead.

Edited by Eleven

I can assure you that Smehlik was my whipping boy as well. I suppose if we had a Zhitnick on the team we'd be less happy with Myers. But Myers is what we've got so............

you know how when someone starts a message with "respectfully" you just know they don't mean it and they intend to ###### all over everything you said? welllllll forget that first part but the second part is true....

respectfully..... ###### your smehlik comparison. hated that guy and still do to this day.he played hockey like i play golf (repeated bad shots and the one shot a round that makes you go ###### why didn't i do that everytime)

Lately I have been comparing Myers to Zhitnik. shitnik would show so many great facets of his game and he would draw me in and make me think "this is it, he is taking that next step" and sure enough he would tear thous dreams down with a cold stretch that would make me question his even being on the ice.

Edited by drnkirishone

you know how when someone starts a message with "respectfully" you just know they don't mean it and they intend to ###### all over everything you said? welllllll forget that first part but the second part is true....

respectfully..... ###### your smehlik comparison. hated that guy and still do to this day.he played hockey like i play golf (repeated bad shots and the one shot a round that makes you go ###### why didn't i do that everytime)

Lately I have been comparing Myers to Zhitnik. shitnik would show so many great facets of his game and he would draw me in and make me think "this is it, he is taking that next step" and sure enough he would terar thous dreams down with a cold stretch that would make me question his even being on the ice.

On golf: Great to see that there is always someone better than me.

On Myers: When he starts firing snapshots into the press box, I'll consider the comparison. For now, no, he is not any kind of Ik.

On golf: Great to see that there is always someone better than me.

On Myers: When he starts firing snapshots into the press box, I'll consider the comparison. For now, no, he is not any kind of Ik.

my comparison is more about what causes me to build up hope in them and how they turn around and seem to unlearn the game

Lately I have been comparing Myers to Zhitnik. shitnik would show so many great facets of his game and he would draw me in and make me think "this is it, he is taking that next step" and sure enough he would tear thous dreams down with a cold stretch that would make me question his even being on the ice.

Myers has a bit to go to rise to Zhitnick's level. It may hurt, but face it, Smehlick is Myers equivalent right now. Smehlick was better than we gave him credit for, and not good enough for what we needed him to be. sounds familiar right now, eh?

Myers has a bit to go to rise to Zhitnick's level. It may hurt, but face it, Smehlick is Myers equivalent right now. Smehlick was better than we gave him credit for, and not good enough for what we needed him to be. sounds familiar right now, eh?

disagree.. I again counter with smehlik would spend all game making stupid plays and like a blind squirrel he would eventually find a nut. most of the time I think Myers plays a solid game with moments of good but he will have 1 or 2 moments that make you question his IQ status

$50 Myers is knocked unconcious within 10 games....

He has been stroked enough by the staff to "just go for it", that the fans marvel at the freakshow taking the puck into the zone. If you notice...he has one move. He takes it full speed along the left boards and goes behind the net. No threat of driving to the net, no toch to set up something in front....just head down...full speed....along the left sidewall.

If he doesn't croak from a popped aorta, a team that watches tape will do the job soon......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.