Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Nah....Murray can sit and wait. As Injuries mount with D league- wide.. There is really no need to trade Myers, so Murray can hang out, sip some coffee and wait for a jackpot.

One problem, Murray doesn't drink coffee in the morning to get him going, he drinks the fear of other GM's.

Nah....Murray can sit and wait. As Injuries mount with D league- wide.. There is really no need to trade Myers, so Murray can hang out, sip some coffee and wait for a jackpot.

Exactly, there is no rush with these things when you're a CHL powerhouse. Sit back, wait, allow Myers to continue to look impressive on a ###### show of a team, then sell high.......

or decide that you don't want to trade him and tell everyone to F off.

Edited by Claude_Verret

So little more trickling out about the Detroit stuff. Seems like Dylan Larkin is a possible piece to a Myers trade (if it were to happen) and everything I can find has said Mantha isn't on the table. I am not sure if Larkin is a center piece that gets TM really eager to move Myers, and for the record I really like Larkin.

I heard McKenzie mention that the Sabres maybe zeroing in on Larkin as part of a larger package for Myers.

Sabres Stuff starts at 10 Min Mark

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/TD_BobMcKenzie_Oct16.mp3

If Myers gets moved for another fecking batch of prospects I may just lose my mind. I mean, lets just forfeit all the games until 16-17 for cryin out loud.

Yeah I've quietly been pro tank but trading Myers for hot garbage would get me fired up.

We need ###### like button

I have had it with the tank.

I am against it.

The Sabres better not trade Myers. He is finally starting to become the player we all hoped for.

If they were to trade him, it wouldn't be about tanking. They would do it if they think he has stagnated as a player and will not grow any more with this team.

If they were to trade him, it wouldn't be about tanking. They would do it if they think he has stagnated as a player and will not grow any more with this team.

I agree with you that a Myers trade would not be about tanking.

My points should have been more distinct.

Something like ...

1.) I hate the tank.

(pause)

2.) The Sabres better not trade Myers.

I don't think moving Myers is a smart move unless someone grossly overpays. Myers seems like he is finding his game again and this guy can skate. To me why move him for more picks and prospects because even though you move him and have guys like McCabe, Pysyk, and Zadorov coming I also think u have Benoit and Mezs heading out at the deadline or at the end of the year which means u need to pick another defenseman. And a #1 or 2 defenseman aren't that easy to acquire unless u draft them. I can see this team if they can land McDavid or Eichel in 2015 still finish in the bottom 10 of the 2016 draft. I say this because all these young players still have to develop.

If they can get Mantha it wouldn't be about long term future

I like Mantha but I don't see Detroit moving him for Myers. And if I'm Ken Holland Mantha and Nyquist aren't even in any trade discussions.

Fine. Then trade him for a ###### adult that can play now. Not some ###### that may not show up for 2 seasons.

Edited by weave

It is simple. You do a relative comparison to others on the same team (i.e. with the same supporting cast) controlling for ice time (points per 60 minutes of ice time) and situation (5-on-5 play). Again, Myers was the worst defensemen on the team in even strength scoring 2 years ago. Dead last. Sulzer, Weber, etc. all ahead of him. Last year he was better, but still a distant second to The Hoff (slightly ahead of McBain). This year the sample size is too small to really say much yet.

That said, I am generally of the opinion that an "elite" player should lift the play of those around him rather than be beholden to the supporting cast. I don't dislike Myers and I think he is a really good penalty killer because of his reach... but I just don't see the flashes of greatness that others around here seem to see. But, maybe/hopefully this will be his breakthrough season.

The problem I see here is that you have to take into account who else he is playing with and against. If he's put out in a shutdown mode with other forwards who are also shutdown and do not score then his stats will still look bad and your control situation doesn't account for that.

Extremely simplified version: My son plays D for this team. He is routinely paired with the worst forwards on the team except when they need a goal. Why? Because he limits the mistakes the forwards on the ice will make. His stats look horrible because the puck is in his end, a lot more than when the three best forwards are on the ice. The stats look bad, except that the amount of goals given up while he is on the ice remains relatively the same as when the other good forwards are on the ice.

Play now on this team, or play now in the NHL in general?

I don't want any more Larssons, or Deslaurier's, or other kids that may or may not be ready for a good team. I am sick and tired of hockey nights not being relevant any more. I am sick and tired of not caring whether the game is on or not. No more good player for potential good player trades.

I don't want any more Larssons, or Deslaurier's, or other kids that may or may not be ready for a good team. I am sick and tired of hockey nights not being relevant any more. I am sick and tired of not caring whether the game is on or not. No more good player for potential good player trades.

Thank you. And they can start trading draft picks for players any time, too, as far as I am concerned.

Thank you. And they can start trading draft picks for players any time, too, as far as I am concerned.

Depending on how things play out this year with the lottery, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us move one of our extra first round picks in an attempt to get a more immediate return. They'll certainly have the ammo for some moves if they do land either of McEichel.

Yep. I think if the Isles keep winning and it is obvious they will make the playoffs that (and the Blues) picks could be in play for a good young player either in the NHL or a year away. TM has said he would like to do this in interviews last year but never really got the chance. I could see another push being made later this year or at the draft.

The problem I see here is that you have to take into account who else he is playing with and against. If he's put out in a shutdown mode with other forwards who are also shutdown and do not score then his stats will still look bad and your control situation doesn't account for that.

Extremely simplified version: My son plays D for this team. He is routinely paired with the worst forwards on the team except when they need a goal. Why? Because he limits the mistakes the forwards on the ice will make. His stats look horrible because the puck is in his end, a lot more than when the three best forwards are on the ice. The stats look bad, except that the amount of goals given up while he is on the ice remains relatively the same as when the other good forwards are on the ice.

We've been through this. Again, I suggest that an "elite" player should lift up his teammates and should win the battles against the other team's best. All teams have "first pair" defensemen who play in all situations and go up against the opponent's best every night. All of these 20-30 minute d-men at various times throughout the game are paired with different forward lines from their own team. The top teams have guys who win the best-on-best battles with the other team's best. The top teams have d-men who are able to generate offense (e.g., break out of the zone, start the rush) regardless of which forward line they're on the ice with. I watch Shea Weber regularly down here in Nashville and he performs regardless of whom he is paired with, regardless of which forwards he is going up against (it is always the league's best), and regardless of which Preds forward line is on the ice.

... my high-level suggestion is when a team is really bad over an extended period of time, sometimes the big minute players are simply not as good as the other team's big minute players. I agree with everyone that one reason Myers gets huge minutes is his teammates are terrible. But, I should see him dominate once in a while if he truly is a special player and I just don't see it. For example, he leads the team in power play minutes but has no points. I think what some see as "great play" by Myers is average play by other team's standards and the reference point is lowered because our other defensemen are so terrible (and yes, I know most here disagree with me).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.