Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Add Pittsburgh onto the list of potential suitors for Chris Stewart.

From Bruce Garrioch Column in Ottawa Sun. (Yes some on the board feel he throws ###### at the wall to see what sticks, but this rumor does make sense)

The Sabres are in no rush to move winger Chris Stewart, but there’s no shortage of interest. The Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators have both made inquiries on Stewart but you can add the Penguins to that list as well. GM Jim Rutherford has been sniffing around for another forward since camp started. Right now, GM Tim Murray may have to sell low because Stewart isn’t exactly playing well. Murray wants a big return but that will change by the deadline

Except for the last little part. Murray doesn't have to sell at all. People in the media seemed confused by that.

Except for the last little part. Murray doesn't have to sell at all. People in the media seemed confused by that.

I agree. I prefer to accumulate more assets especially but if the offers aren't intriguing enough and we have last place locked up I'd be perfectly fine with offering Stewart fair market value (probably around $4 million per season) on a medium termed deal if he'll sign. If not, take the best deal offered from all the prospective buyers and move on.

Stewart has appeared to step up his game recently, I wonder if Tim Murray told him there are teams interested but they want to see more out of you.

If this is what it took for Stewart to step up his game, they can't get rid of him soon enough.

GO SABRES!!!

@ArashMadani: Sabres GM Tim Murray told me he hasn't made calls on any possible trades. His phone has buzzed, but he's not looking to make deals quite yet

I assume a lot teams don't want to take on salary at this point in the year. Many of the teams that might want to make a move are reasonably close to the cap.

I don't see us making any moves until close to the trade deadline when the market picks up and GMs are willing to overpay for a shot at the Cup. So GMTM waits...

I assume a lot teams don't want to take on salary at this point in the year. Many of the teams that might want to make a move are reasonably close to the cap.

I don't see us making any moves until close to the trade deadline when the market picks up and GMs are willing to overpay for a shot at the Cup. So GMTM waits...

This is what concerns me. I thought it would be like this last year, and it was the exact opposite. Real buyer's market, and teams who held on to their stocks got left with little to nothing.

GMTM and Darcy were smart last year in unloading before the deadline, and I hope Murray's smart enough to do so again.

This is what concerns me. I thought it would be like this last year, and it was the exact opposite. Real buyer's market, and teams who held on to their stocks got left with little to nothing.

GMTM and Darcy were smart last year in unloading before the deadline, and I hope Murray's smart enough to do so again.

It still feels a bit early for that. I feel like a team would want to hit at least the quarter mark before they go shopping. The Isles moved on Vanek very early last year and that one blew up in their faces.

It still feels a bit early for that. I feel like a team would want to hit at least the quarter mark before they go shopping.

Should've been more specific; I'm more talking about January/February deals rather than deadline day deals.

The Isles moved on Vanek very early last year and that one blew up in their faces.

Well that's Garth's fault in trading for the wrong guy, not when he did it.

Considering the Sabres have 3 1st round picks and 2 second round picks, TM can let our UFA guys go to july 1 if he wants. We don't really have to get something for every single player we are not planning on resigning. As for right now, there is no reason for Murray to make a move because he can't make a move that would improve this team this year.

Considering the Sabres have 3 1st round picks and 2 second round picks, TM can let our UFA guys go to july 1 if he wants. We don't really have to get something for every single player we are not planning on resigning. As for right now, there is no reason for Murray to make a move because he can't make a move that would improve this team this year.

Totally disagree. Think an extra move ahead. It wouldn't be about just picking more guys in June 2015. If we trade Stewart and Stafford for 2015 or 2016 picks, those picks are liquid assets that we can use next summer to move up in the draft (which GMTM tried last summer) or to acquire players for 2015-2016 (when we're trying to compete again).

I'd continue to stockpile picks from now through the trade deadline. Draft picks give you the most flexibility by far when you're building a team. We could use that flexibility.

could you get anything at all for Stafford or Stewart at this time? i couldn't imagine either of them being worth even a 2nd round pick at this point.

Stewart absolutely. Probably more. Stafford? Probably a late second.

Edited by Tankalicious

What would be the reason be for NOT trading them by the deadline?

Edited by LabattBlue

What would be the reason be for NOT trading them by the deadline?

So we could try and sign them to new contracts. Like if the chance of signing Stewart to a new deal is more valuable than the potential return.

That's the argument at least. It doesn't work if they aren't in the plans, but either could play roles.

So we could try and sign them to new contracts. Like if the chance of signing Stewart to a new deal is more valuable than the potential return.

That's the argument at least. It doesn't work if they aren't in the plans, but either could play roles.

I'm sure Murray is gauging all possibilities. I don't personally think Stewart wants to be here long term unless we throw money at him, and he's not the type you do that with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.