The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

Edmonton in the tougher Western Conference is clearly going to challenge for #1 overall. Their play is what scares me the most about this rebuild and all the draft picks we have. Nothing is guaranteed.

That's is when you offer up Myers and Ennis for anyone on their roster

Not a bad idea, still can't see myself signing up for NHL network this season. Will read the write ups on this board to keep track of things, but I am too busy to watch these guys suck. My only hope is that Nolan survives. I really like the guy. Deep breaths everyone else.... remember the tank is only a little past half over. Still have a lot of losing to do...

Edmonton in the tougher Western Conference is clearly going to challenge for #1 overall. Their play is what scares me the most about this rebuild and all the draft picks we have. Nothing is guaranteed.

With Edmonton you need to look at what they did with those high picks and more importantly their development. They all where pretty much rushed into the NHL the next season, without the benefit of experienced leadership to guide them or more time in juniors to develop. Plus the fact some of them where not physically ready or mature enough to play right away. In addition they virtually ignored drafting defense until they took Nurse in 2013.

Then you have the fact they missed on a few selections as well, would Ryan Murray or Alex Galchenyuk be better then Yapukov? Or Seguin over Hall?

The question is does MacTavish feel enough pressure to win now and take the future be damned approach and pull a GM Snow Type Trade?

Edited by BRAWNDO

Or Seguin over Hall?

I'll weigh in on at least this one. Hall has outproduced Seguin each year (yes even last year thanks to missing a handful of games) while playing on a much weaker team. They didn't miss on that one. Where they have failed miserably so far is defense and goalie.

If they do win the CHL they will definitely have to start dumping the 12 previous number 1's they drafted.

It's weird, the Oilers seem to have the exact opposite issues the Sabers have. We're loaded with d-prospects and bottom 6 talent when all they have is top line talent. That franchise is desperate to turn it around, I say we take advantage of it.

Don't assume Nolan is in on the tank. He may be the ultimate lackey (Def - uninformed man servant) and GMTMs bishop to every other GMs pawns. Maybe GMTM sits in his office watching video of McDavid and Eichel, cranking Styx's 'Grand Illusion', then popping in 'Mr Roboto' when a Nolan presser airs.

Interesting take - GMTM, and perhaps the Pegulas, the only one(s) who actually know what the real plan is? I am now picturing GMTM offering feigned commiseration and feigned outrage whenever Nolan barges into his office, angered at the team's latest failure. :)

BTW, for Tank Watchers, last night's victory has placed us one point ahead of Florida, Carolina and Edmonton. That's not good for the Tank.

Interesting take - GMTM, and perhaps the Pegulas, the only one(s) who actually know what the real plan is? I am now picturing GMTM offering feigned commiseration and feigned outrage whenever Nolan barges into his office, angered at the team's latest failure. :)

BTW, for Tank Watchers, last night's victory has placed us one point ahead of Florida, Carolina and Edmonton. That's not good for the Tank.

I also have an inkling (hehe) that if there's a secret plan, it involves trading picks and prospects for real hockey players much sooner than later. (And I think GMTM actually hinted at it.) For all of Terry's faults, I don't think being too patient is one of them. And I take GMTM as the right guy for a quick(er) turnaround. Hell, the Sabres might even cash in the second overall pick, if they're lucky enough to get it.

I also have an inkling (hehe) that if there's a secret plan, it involves trading picks and prospects for real hockey players much sooner than later. (And I think GMTM actually hinted at it.) For all of Terry's faults, I don't think being too patient is one of them. And I take GMTM as the right guy for a quick(er) turnaround. Hell, the Sabres might even cash in the second overall pick, if they're lucky enough to get it.

TM makes me nervous about trading draft picks. I realize they can't possibly use all the picks, but 3 2nd round picks(and McNabb) were traded away for Fasching, Deslauriers, and Gorges, and there was talk that 3 more 2nd round picks were offered to get back into the bottom half of the first round last June.

TM makes me nervous about trading draft picks. I realize they can't possibly use all the picks, but 3 2nd round picks(and McNabb) were traded away for Fasching, Deslauriers, and Gorges, and there was talk that 3 more 2nd round picks were offered to get back into the bottom half of the first round last June.

He traded away McNabb (NHL) 3 2nds (statistically 1 will make it) to get back Gorges (NHL) Deslauriers (NHL, well he is playing here) and Fasching (could be NHL) seems like he broke even to me. I think Murray is all about the numbers of it all, meaning he understands what a 2nd is really worth.

I think he was just really high on Fasching and willing to pay the price.

I'm willing to bet he was feeling a lot of regret about passing on him in the draft.

I do think that when Murray feels really strongly about someone he is more than willing to pay a high price, zero ###### given. I think he will make a trade before July 1 that will will have many of us shaking our heads. I just hope it doesn't involve Myers.

Is anyone else disquieted by all of the McDavid talk in WNY media? It's like everyone has agreed to pretend that the Sabres will get him if they finish DFL -- not that it is 80% likely that they won't get him.

I feel like there's some kind of under-the-radar marketing of McDavid taking place that is trying to gloss over the fact that it's highly unlikely that the Sabres get him.

Is anyone else disquieted by all of the McDavid talk in WNY media? It's like everyone has agreed to pretend that the Sabres will get him if they finish DFL -- not that it is 80% likely that they won't get him.

I feel like there's some kind of under-the-radar marketing of McDavid taking place that is trying to gloss over the fact that it's highly unlikely that the Sabres get him.

Yes. It is highly annoying.

It's a tough situation, though. You have to inform the fans of what might be in store for the future. During most of the radio talk I've heard they have stressed strongly that there is a relatively low chance he ends up in Buffalo. He's news, and he's relevant to this area (only an hour away in Erie and clearly in the sights of the city's pro hockey team). More Eichel coverage would make some sense.

Unless the fix is already in ala Ewing to the Knicks. ;) (Hey, one can dream, right?)

Yes. It is highly annoying.

It's weird. It's just weird.

Anyone ever see Porky's?

You know the scene where the boys go over to the bar, and Porky comes out parading a bunch of hotties.....and negotiates for the boys to get the hot girls for 2 hours.....gets them to hand over all their money....sends them to the back to "wait for them"......then he pulls the trap door and they all fall into the river?.......

Anyone ever see Porky's?

You know the scene where the boys go over to the bar, and Porky comes out parading a bunch of hotties.....and negotiates for the boys to get the hot girls for 2 hours.....gets them to hand over all their money....sends them to the back to "wait for them"......then he pulls the trap door and they all fall into the river?.......

:worthy:

It's a tough situation, though. You have to inform the fans of what might be in store for the future. During most of the radio talk I've heard they have stressed strongly that there is a relatively low chance he ends up in Buffalo. He's news, and he's relevant to this area (only an hour away in Erie and clearly in the sights of the city's pro hockey team). More Eichel coverage would make some sense.

Fair enough, and I don't listen to much local radio other than interview segments. I guess I'm mostly basing this on my twitter feed, which has plenty of local WNY media members who keep gushing about McDavid and his thoughts about becoming a Sabre. I recognize that the character limits preclude having much detail, but I still feel like the tone is much more "Isn't this great? The Sabres are going to get this guy and the suffering will be over!" than what it should be, which is "This guy is great, but don't get your hopes up."

Fair enough, and I don't listen to much local radio other than interview segments. I guess I'm mostly basing this on my twitter feed, which has plenty of local WNY media members who keep gushing about McDavid and his thoughts about becoming a Sabre. I recognize that the character limits preclude having much detail, but I still feel like the tone is much more "Isn't this great? The Sabres are going to get this guy and the suffering will be over!" than what it should be, which is "This guy is great, but don't get your hopes up."

I think you've got your finger on the pulse. The people talking about McDavid are largely doing so with an air of expectation. Whereas the rest of us are just sitting here quietly, hands folded, wondering when things are going to get better.

It has as much to do with where McDavid and Eichel play. People have much easier access to McDavid. Eichel will get a game or two on NBCSN later this year against Notre Dame and then there will be the world juniors. Otherwise it's tough for people in Buffalo to get a chance to see him play. BU won't be a lock to make the NCAA tourney, which would be the other opportunity to see him.

We're at the bottom right now. ESPN's standings have us at the bottom of the league - tied with Carolina with only 2 points - but they've played 2 fewer games than Buffalo so that earns us last place.

We're also dead last in goals per game. 1.14 goals per game. Florida, the 29th ranked team, is a scoring juggernaut in comparison with 1.50 goals per game.

Dead last in shots per game - 23.4

Dead last in shots against per game

Dead last in PPGs (0)

3rd worst - in Goals against per game