The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

The tank is 50% done(1 season down, 1 to go)...

IMO, the Sabres aren't going to move far from the 30th when next spring rolls around, but if by chance TN works a miracle and the Sabres end up somewhere along the lines of 5-10 from the bottom, I will be disappointed. Even if they finish 3 or 4 from the bottom, my guess is teams aren't going to move out of the top two draft spots.

What are your thoughts on missing out on Eichel or McDavid because of a run to nowhere(still missing the playoffs).

The tank is 50% done(1 season down, 1 to go)...

IMO, the Sabres aren't going to move far from the 30th when next spring rolls around, but if by chance TN works a miracle and the Sabres end up somewhere along the lines of 5-10 from the bottom, I will be disappointed. Even if they finish 3 or 4 from the bottom, my guess is teams aren't going to move out of the top two draft spots.

What are your thoughts on missing out on Eichel or McDavid because of a run to nowhere(still missing the playoffs).

First: my avatar says it all.

I want nothing to do with positions 4-13.

I am really hoping for 1-3, I am ok with this team 'just' missing the playoffs (would signify significant improvement from the kids)

If the the team isn't playing well, but is sitting in 11th or 12th place in the east come December, I want immediate goalie by committee (including vinz) and permanent seats booked on the BUF-ROC greyhound for the constant back and forth of half the roster.

I really doubt these actions will be necessary, however. No matter how hard teddy gets them playing. This blue line is significantly worse than last year. And even with last year's D, we were far worse after Ryan left. I expect more of the same.

I live in Tampa and drive to Buffalo twice a year to visit family. Not picking one or two will be like getting north to Charlotte and realizing I forgot my wallet. We're half way there ....

Why do we need to tank two years in a row?

The Blackhawks' "Tank" season was 2006-2007, and they finished 5th in the Central, with the 4th worst overall record in the league with 71 points, which earned them the number 1 pick

The rebuilding was 2007-08 with new management. They finished 3rd in the Central with a jump up to 88 points in the first season after the management change, did not qualify for the playoffs

2008-09, they finished 2nd in the Central, with 104 points. They made it into the 3rd round of the playoffs, being defeated in the Conference Final by the Wings

2009-10, 112 points, finished 1st in the Central, and won the Stanley Cup.

So, using the Blackhawks rebuild as a model, 2013-14 was the Hawks 2006-07

This year 2014-15 - SHOULD show improvement - up to the 80 point mark,

Then 2015-16, we should be making the playoffs.

I can't believe GMTM isn't fully aware of the Blackhawks' schedule for a rebuild. I would think he believes he can turn this team around in a similar time frame. Why do we need or want two tank years in a row? Actually, 3, because 2012-13 was pretty dismal too! 80 points this season would seem like an enormous improvement compared to last season; we won't be hitting the playoffs but it won't be a tank either - at least I hope not.

Of course I would rather finish 30th than 20th, but I am OK with the team starting to rebound; it would mean some of our potential is actually starting to turn into results.

More to the point, I'm more or less resigned to the lottery vaulting a team outside the bottom five into victory in the McDavid derby, anyway.

That said, I would be very surprised if we do not get two top 10 picks next year, and I think there is a good chance we will have two on the top five.

Even if our haul is picks seven and 14, adding those two players (and 26, 37 and 44) to what we already have in the system is going to set us up for a long run of being a very good hockey team.

The Ron Rolston period was the nadir for this team. Whether we are 30 or 20, I don't want to be that unwatchable again.

Edited by dudacek

You know what would piss me off more than not finishing last? FInishing last and not picking first. Kind of like this year.

Why? We got the player we wanted this year, and the consolation prize in 2015 would be the 1st overall in almost any other draft.

The Blackhawks' "Tank" season was 2006-2007, and they finished 5th in the Central, with the 4th worst overall record in the league with 71 points, which earned them the number 1 pick

The rebuilding was 2007-08 with new management. They finished 3rd in the Central with a jump up to 88 points in the first season after the management change, did not qualify for the playoffs

2008-09, they finished 2nd in the Central, with 104 points. They made it into the 3rd round of the playoffs, being defeated in the Conference Final by the Wings

I can't believe GMTM isn't fully aware of the Blackhawks' schedule for a rebuild. I would think he believes he can turn this team around in a similar time frame. Why do we need or want two tank years in a row? Actually, 3, because 2012-13 was pretty dismal too! 80 points this season would seem like an enormous improvement compared to last season; we won't be hitting the playoffs but it won't be a tank either - at least I hope not.

Connor McDavid

This is a much more succinct response.

Spot on.

Also 3rd overall in 2006, then 1st overall in 2007. It was a solid 2 year tank.

Do we need McDavid? No, and Pittsburgh doesn't need Crosby and Malkin. Chicago doesn't need Toews and Kane. I WANT McDavid

To me this is year 2 of the tank but I still don't think we will be a ton better even if we land a top 2 pick next year. These players need time to develop. It's not going to happen overnight. I still think it's only 2/3 done after next year. Who knows if Reinhart makes the team and even if he can who says they don't keep him in juniors. Lots of ????? And only Murray has the answers.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

To me this is year 2 of the tank but I still don't think we will be a ton better even if we land a top 2 pick next year. These players need time to develop. It's not going to happen overnight. I still think it's only 2/3 done after next year. Who knows if Reinhart makes the team and even if he can who says they don't keep him in juniors. Lots of ????? And only Murray has the answers.

I can wait for the house to be built, as long as there's a freshly poured sturdy foundation it's going up on

If we miss on McDavid I would be happy with Eichel

Absolutely! He'd be first overall most years anyway! I'll take a 5th overall, but I think one of the two will be sporting blue and gold within a year

In 02-03 the Blackhawks won 30 games, in 03-04 they won 20, in 05-06 they won 26, and in 06-07 they won 31. In 07-08 the captaincy was vacant and Toews was named captain a year later with Duncan Keith as an alternate. That's what tanking got them. They hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years and they weren't even close in that time.

In 02-03 the Blackhawks won 30 games, in 03-04 they won 20, in 05-06 they won 26, and in 06-07 they won 31. In 07-08 the captaincy was vacant and Toews was named captain a year later with Duncan Keith as an alternate. That's what tanking got them. They hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years and they weren't even close in that time.

I'm completely against tanking for 5 years, 2 is my max.

A line between tanking and losing has to be drawn somewhere.

tanking/losing

How's that ?

I jest. I think anything less than 1 or 2 in the draft makes this losing a waste of time. In a perfect world we get both.

Edited by bunomatic

There is no single route to winning a cup. It certainly doesn't require losing on purpose year after year. It does require a GM know knows what he is going and can string together several successful personnel moves.

The Cup Champion Kings only have one top-5 pick on the roster that they drafted (Doughty #2 in 2008).

Edited by Potato

2012: 2 first rounders (Grigorenko, Girgensons) + 1 second rounder (McCabe) + Ullmark in 6th round

2013: 2 first rounders (Ristolainen, Zadorov) + 4 second rounders (Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Carrier (StL)) + Baptiste + Fasching

2014: 1 first rounder (Reinhart) + 3 second rounders (Lemieux, Cornel, Karabacek)

2015: 3 first rounders, 3 seconds

With 19 first and second round picks over a 4 year span, this team should be fine with or without McDavid/Eichel. If not, fire every single scout.

tanking/losing

How's that ?

I jest. I think anything less than 1 or 2 in the draft makes this losing a waste of time. In a perfect world we get both.

That's what I mean, say we do get first, then I don't think we're tanking. From that point on the moves we make are to WIN hockey games. In 3 years the rebuild won't be over, we will still be losing, but we wont be tanking.