The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

I do not own nor would I ever wear Canes gear. I do have a red Bills polo shirt that I might wear though. Not sure yet if I'll go or not, if my neighbor gets tickets I probably will.

Good to hear, sir. Personally I like to think of it as rooting for the Islanders to lose rather than rooting for the Canes to win. It may just be semantics but it makes me feel less dirty.

Tank, tank, tank. What if even a quarter of the league took this approach? What a boring, stupid game they're creating (MLB anyone?). It's easy enough if you watch from home. Turn it off and get a beer froim the fridge. The STHs are the ones who get screwed and they're paying the bills.

What if we get McDavid and then he gets concussed in pre-season. What then? I'm in Raleigh and sat next to a Sabres fan last week. All he could do was yell at them to lose and that's pre-season. I'm just blown away by this talk.

PLAY TO WIN...ALWAYS

Maybe I'm old, but fans agreeing to or supporting a tank are not real fans. The team needs to suck it up and play the cards they're dealt. If they get the pick, it's gravy. If they dont, they hopefully gave paying fans some value for their money. I'd like to take a poll as to how many full season ticket holders agree that the best course of action is to tank. I have to assume that the pro tankers are watching on TV most of the time.

Hey Claude, don't forget to shine a lazer pointer in JT's eye :P

One might say that fans cheering blindly for mediocrity and do not have any patience are not true fans. By the way I'm a protanker and have tix to 6 games this season. Taking the whole family to each and every one of them. Far cry from a STH I guess but being 2.5 hours away this is the best I can do. Bill still came to over a grand.

Edited by Derrico

Tank, tank, tank. What if even a quarter of the league took this approach? What a boring, stupid game they're creating (MLB anyone?). It's easy enough if you watch from home. Turn it off and get a beer froim the fridge. The STHs are the ones who get screwed and they're paying the bills.

What if we get McDavid and then he gets concussed in pre-season. What then? I'm in Raleigh and sat next to a Sabres fan last week. All he could do was yell at them to lose and that's pre-season. I'm just blown away by this talk.

PLAY TO WIN...ALWAYS

Maybe I'm old, but fans agreeing to or supporting a tank are not real fans. The team needs to suck it up and play the cards they're dealt. If they get the pick, it's gravy. If they dont, they hopefully gave paying fans some value for their money. I'd like to take a poll as to how many full season ticket holders agree that the best course of action is to tank. I have to assume that the pro tankers are watching on TV most of the time.

I've never watched a game and hoped my team lost. Thats insane. When you really think about it its all out of our control. The team can deny it. The players would never willfully lose. The fans can stop going to games. I'll continue to watch and if the outcome is a very high pick and possibly one of the top 3 so be it. We'll eventually be the better for it. But to call anyone less than a real fan because they have a different take on how to build a winner is wrong. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Did that guy actually cheer for them to lose in preseason ? I have my doubts.

PLAY TO WIN...ALWAYS

Sigh. This is why the tank discussion needs it's own thread with the same stuff coming up over and over.

Yes STH's suffer the most and no fan would blame any of them for bailing, but in a strong hockey market like Buffalo it doesn't seem to matter because most aren't bailing even in the face of another horrible season.

What if Gus, Risto, Zadorov, Reinhart, Armia Grigs etc..get concussed or hurt? It's a risk every single NHL player takes when stepping onto the ice to play. In other words, that type of "if" is a lousy argument to not hope for a generational talent to come your way.

The players do play to win..ALWAYS.

and finally..the not real fans bit...you hit them all.

So if we're going to bitch and moan about people posting tank talk in the GDT then can we keep the generic anti-tank talk out of the tank threads?

The Canes winning in regulation the next two days against the Isles would be awesome. My brother is a Canes fan (he lived there for a while), and he's the nicest person I know. I don't mind seeing him enjoy some wins.

So if we're going to bitch and moan about people posting tank talk in the GDT then can we keep the generic anti-tank talk out of the tank threads?

I agree. This should be a thread for "pro tank" talk only. A place that all those who can't bear to think about a tank will never have to visit. :angel:

The Canes winning in regulation the next two days against the Isles would be awesome. My brother is a Canes fan (he lived there for a while), and he's the nicest person I know. I don't mind seeing him enjoy some wins.

Agreed. We've all heard the arguments for and against the tank pretty extensively. This thread should be more about the updates of the tank, whether you agree with it or not.

Agreed. We've all heard the arguments for and against the tank pretty extensively. This thread should be more about the updates of the tank, whether you agree with it or not.

I agree. This should be a thread for "pro tank" talk only. A place that all those who can't bear to think about a tank will never have to visit. :angel:

Not so respectfully, oh, bullsh!t. The subject is the tank. Discussion from both sides should be expected.

Discussion, pro or con, in non tank related threads should be minimized, I agree.

Oh this is going to be a fun year. I can see some long time posters really turning on each other this season. Even being a pro tanker I really can't wait for another 259 days until the draft so we can all go back to cheering on our team. But until then.....tank on boys :beer:

Not so respectfully, oh, bullsh!t. The subject is the tank. Discussion from both sides should be expected.

Discussion, pro or con, in non tank related threads should be minimized, I agree.

It's been a circle jerk of bullsh!t for going on more than a year now; if someone has something different/productive to say, like why a tank does/ does not work with other examples, etc. Then that's fine. But repeating the same old "we play sports to win!" argument isn't getting us anywhere. It's not even beating a dead horse anymore, we're just dragging it throughout the city in laps and pointing at it.

If Elliot sucks they will just start Jake Allen more and more. I honestly could see the Blues just missing the playoffs. I have several questions about how elite their top 9 can be. I mean who on St Louis is really a game changing forward? Oshie? Tarasenko? Also their defense is middle of the pack.

They have an elite guy in Pietrangelo and a couple national team players in BOuwmeester and Shattenkirk on defence. What pack are you talking about?

They may not have a franchise guy, but in Stastny, Backes, Oshie, Steen, Tarasenko and Schwartz, their top six can match up with anybody. They're big and tough and they can skate and they love to hit.

Next you're going to be saying the Islanders are better.

Then maybe there should be a tank tracking thread. I guarantee you that anti-tankers are going to get more upset as the season goes on, and someone will post something that will lead to mods stepping in, and people leaving or getting banned.

Just let us pro tankers go about our business, and all will be fine! :P :P :P

It's been a circle jerk of bullsh!t for going on more than a year now; if someone has something different/productive to say, like why a tank does/ does not work with other examples, etc. Then that's fine. But repeating the same old "we play sports to win!" argument isn't getting us anywhere. It's not even beating a dead horse anymore, we're just dragging it throughout the city in laps and pointing at it.

This

You know what else is being repeated and isn't getting us anywhere? "ZOMG IF WE DON"T TANK WE'LL BE MEDIOCRE FOR 15 MORE YEARZ"

Same shyte, both sides. Don't kid yourself.

Edited by weave

Full disclosure I'm all in for the tank. With that said, i will lurk or maybe join the GDT every once in awhile to comment on player progress. But I thought a comment in the GDT yesterday about it being unfair to current players to be asked about the implications of their play on the acquisition of the next generation of talent to be spot on. This current team was assembled to facilitate that acquisition, avoid cap floor penalty (i.e. losing a draft pick perhaps) and ice a team to meet its obligation under the league rules. With the exception of the young guns, Risto, Rheinhart, Girgs, I see no one who will be here in 4 years inluding Hodson, Ennis and Moulson. Debating the pros and cons of a tank versus non tank is somewhat senseless in that no matter where you stand on the issue, the ship has sailed, ilea iacta est. So arguing in the GDT whether a particular outcome furthers the tank seems equally pointless. It also is as grating to those opposed to the rebuild as their whining about the lack of veteran talent is to the pro-rebuild camp. In the end, 2-3 seasons down the line one side or the other will be vindicated. Until then we wait. But we can do so civilly. The vitriol that accompanies the debate is understandable but pointless. We all have our reasons for our positions and the only thing that we share in common is some affinity to the Bison escaping the Butcher logo. We root for the laundry. We can disagree about who should wear it and where they come from or how they earn the right to wear it.

You know what else is being repeated and isn't getting us anywhere? "ZOMG IF WE DON"T TANK WE'LL BE MEDIOCRE FOR 15 MORE YEARZ"

Same shyte, both sides. Don't kid yourself.

My original quote said that, just used the most recent example.

if someone has something different/productive to say, like why a tank does/ does not work

They have an elite guy in Pietrangelo and a couple national team players in BOuwmeester and Shattenkirk on defence. What pack are you talking about?

They may not have a franchise guy, but in Stastny, Backes, Oshie, Steen, Tarasenko and Schwartz, their top six can match up with anybody. They're big and tough and they can skate and they love to hit.

Next you're going to be saying the Islanders are better.

The middle of the playoff pack. The Islanders are not better than St Louis. St Louis plays in the west and that is the reason I think they could miss. IN the east they make it all day every day.