The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

If the Sabres draft Connor McDavid in the 2015 draft..... I am willing to wager that he scores UNDER 67 points in the 2015-16 NHL season. That's halfway between Crosby and my 32.

In fact......to show you how stupid this "tank" is.....I will GIVE you 3-1 odds that Connor McDavid doesn't score 40 points as a Buffalo Sabre in 2015-16

I personally think we end up with Jack Eichel but I will bet you that Eichel or McDavid as a Sabre in 2015/16 scores 40+ points unless they are injured for a lengthy time.

How about 2-1 that Eichel or McDavid don't score 45 points as a Sabre in the 2015-16 season?

Come now......if you can't love that as a Tankie......

I couldn't care less what he does in 15-16. What does he do in 17-18 and then for the following 10 years?

Why? Because the team around McDavid will still be awful.

How many Sabres that line-up for them on the weekend are still wearing the blue and gold in 2016??

Here is one for you? what do you propose the Sabres do at this point? and what would you have done differently over the last 3 years???

Why? Because the team around McDavid will still be awful.

Why would that be the case? The tank and drafting of McEichel is only a part of the plan. By next year 2 or 3 of the recent draftees should be ready to contribute at the NHL level. Murray makes a couple of good signings in FA and the Sabres get better. Even if we don't tank, Murray still needs to make good FA signings and the recent draftees still need to get to NHL level. So those two items are the same between each plan. The tank plan is better because it provides the chance at a "generational" type player and the non-tank plan does not. What is the true cost of the tank? Worst case about 42 wins over a two year period. A two year period where the Sabres had no chance of doing anything in the playoffs even if they did make them.

Its not going to take five years for this team to become competitive. In addition to the prospects coming up, there is free agency and trades. Look at the Los Angeles Kings they are at 56 million in payroll for the 2015-16 with 13 Players signed. Both Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson are RFAs, Justin Williams and Jaret Stoll are UFAs after this year, with Kopitar becoming a UFA the year after. Even with the salary cap going up it will be extremely difficult for the Kings to resign all of them. Other top teams will be in the same boat as well and be forced to make trades or allow players to hit UFA.

There is no room for all the prospects and picks on the Sabres, affording GMTM many pieces for trades.

Yes Buffalo is not a desirable location for FAs or for players to waive NTC to come to, but neither where Chicago or Pittsburgh either.

Williams is an analytics crowd darling, something the Sabres could use.

Did you just call Sam Reinhart a bust because he isn't lighting the world on fire at 18 playing for the worst team in the league?

Hold on I have to find my response to this...

"Bust" is obviously premature, but really: weren't you hoping to see more out of him? We all knew he wasn't going to be Crosby right out of the gate, but many here expected him to be the #2 or #3 center this year and be an effective NHL forward. That hasn't happened.