The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

2 years ago Reinhart was the unquestioned #1

Now...people are saying Eichel is as good as McDavid.

Bottom line, you have the #1 forward on your team from a draft class and he looks like a zero in the NHL so far. Even when he had a 2-1 and open ice, he showed zero skill, then yipped a pass over the head of Ennis.

Being the #1 in your draft class is not the same as being the #1 since you were 13 in your draft class. McDavid is literally putting up Crosby numbers in juniors and Eichel is a close second.

I feel for the season ticket holders because I can't imagine dropping that much coin to watch this train wreck. This is the first year I haven't gotten Center Ice since I signed up for Directv like 8 years ago. Now I just stream the games on an illegal feed and still find myself reading this board or surfing the web rather than fully paying attention to the game.

That being said you probably should've dropped your season tickets back when Darcy first brought up the idea of suffering. I know there's a waiting list and all but it's been a bad season (maybe 2 if you count the lockout shortened one) already, and there will probably be one or two more before this team is remotely competitive. I would think you'd move back up the list pretty quickly, and even if it takes a few years the amount of money you would have saved would afford you to be able to pick up plenty of marked up tickets on stubhub once the team is more competitive and you'd still come out ahead financially.

If I still lived in Buffalo their is no way I buy season seats to watch this squad. As much of a diehard Sabres fan I am it's painfully bad to watch. I knew it was going to be this way when the total rebuild started. Even as bad as expansion teams are this team seems worse than an expansion squad. I'm not talking about prospects and picks coming I'm just talking about this team they fielded. Even expansion teams can score more than this squad.

I knew this team would be bad but I really thought they would be better than last year. With the moves that Murray made I was wondering if he had done too much as I am a big fan of the tank. I thought they would work and battle to loss after loss. I didn't think they would be this bad. This is Rolston bad. But there is always someone that is worse off. Can you imagine being a Carolina fan? Ouch.

I like how the lottery is fine until we may be on the losing end of it. I like the lottery. I think the odds should heavily favor the worst teams, as they do, and it adds a little excitement. Looking forward to next year's system.

I knew this team would be bad but I really thought they would be better than last year. With the moves that Murray made I was wondering if he had done too much as I am a big fan of the tank. I thought they would work and battle to loss after loss. I didn't think they would be this bad. This is Rolston bad. But there is always someone that is worse off. Can you imagine being a Carolina fan? Ouch.

Carolina even though we beat them they were without their key players. Right now they aren't getting outshot like we are and at least have a few players to build around with both Staal's and Skinner.

And how would most of you feel that if the Leafs or any other team missed the playoffs by one point and finished 14th and they win the lottery and draft McDavid. Its a stupid system.

I'd be fine with it. The current system is set up to reward losing, and especially to reward tanking. That's honestly just horrible if you take a step back and think about it. No fans should ever be in the position we are currently in where you want your team to spend an entire season losing. How perverse is that?

I'd like to randomize the first 14 picks. The 2016 system is a step in the right direction (first three picks are lottery).

Bottom line, you have the #1 forward on your team from a draft class and he looks like a zero in the NHL so far. Even when he had a 2-1 and open ice, he showed zero skill, then yipped a pass over the head of Ennis.

This qoute is embarrasing. you are writing off Reinhart after 8 games played in the NHL at 18? You would have thought that people would have learned a lesson with Grigerenko that not many players jump into the NHL at 18 and do much of anything.

The Sabres took the #2 Pick and the #1 forward in the draft, who 2 years ago...was being whispered about in the same likes as McDavid.

So far, Cody McCormick looks like 5x the player.

The whole idea of bringing Nolan in was trying to short-circuit the pussified, losing culture. It hasn't worked. This team is probably 3 years away from even sniffing the playoffs, and 5-6 from being a top 8 team if things go well.

Am I wrong to hope Ebola makes it's way to Phoenix?

Bologna

2 years ago we had "Shart for Reinhart" as sayings here. He was the unquestioned #1

Sometimes (see: always), when you don't know what you're talking about, it's best to just stop talking. Reinhart wasn't even the unquestioned #1 this year, let alone two years ago. And to insinuate being the #1 forward in a middling draft class is equivalent to McDavid, is simply ignorance on a hilarious level. Just stop.

This qoute is embarrasing. you are writing off Reinhart after 8 games played in the NHL at 18? You would have thought that people would have learned a lesson with Grigerenko that not many players jump into the NHL at 18 and do much of anything.

Who is writing off Reinhart?

I'm saying that for all the fanbois who have been stroking each other for this tank the past 2-3 seasons....look what it has gotten you so far.

You think McDavid and the 1/4 shot he comes here is going to help anytime soon?

McDavid on this team for 82 games playing 2nd line center gets you 12 goals 20 assists -32

In reality, he is probably concussed by game 20.

I'm saying that for all the fanbois who have been stroking each other for this tank the past 2-3 seasons....look what it has gotten you so far.

Arguably the best farm system in hockey?

McDavid on this team for 82 games playing 2nd line center gets you 12 goals 20 assists -32

Smart take. <_< Edited by Robviously

Sometimes (see: always), when you don't know what you're talking about, it's best to just stop talking. Reinhart wasn't even the unquestioned #1 this year, let alone two years ago. And to insinuate being the #1 forward in a middling draft class is equivalent to McDavid, is simply ignorance on a hilarious level. Just stop.

I gave up my season tickets in 2007. I'm currently in the market to pick them back up in 2019.

Take that as you wish.

Arguably the best farm system in hockey?

Smart take. <_<

No...smart take is that he never is a Buffalo Sabre.

I love how the same clowns trumpeting "advanced statistics" also trumpet that the tank is worth it. For a 1 in 4 chance to draft a guy....9 months from now.........

Maybe the Sabres can send out another pretty color flyer with 2nd Grade Common Core graphics to the season ticket holders to show how awesome the tank is......

He's a Crosby-class prospect. As a rookie, Crosby had 39 goals and 63 assists. Sure, you can argue the game is lower scoring now and the Sabres are in worse shape than those Pens...but that doesn't make a 1/3 of Crosby's rookie production any less of a bad projection. It just speaks to how you have no idea what you're talking about.

As a partial season ticket holder, I end up going to about 15-20 games. Last year we sold a lot. This year, I have the feeling we are either going to watch this crap, or just give the tix away...and even that might be hard unless their is a really good opponent in town.

Go look at one of Numark's awesome prospect reports. That isn't false hope and the wool being pulled over our eyes. That's our future, and it will take time to develop. The talented kid we get with our pick at the end of this season will be another piece of that.

I love how the same clowns trumpeting "advanced statistics" also trumpet that the tank is worth it. For a 1 in 4 chance to draft a guy....9 months from now.........

Maybe the Sabres can send out another pretty color flyer with 2nd Grade Common Core graphics to the season ticket holders to show how awesome the tank is......

Why, thank you. That's been my take for a couple years now.

Also, there's nothing "advanced" about the 100% chance of drafting either McDavid or Eichel if we finish dead last. Or the 100% chance of landing Noah Hanifin (at worst) if we finish 2nd last.

As for the season ticket holders, they can vote with their dollars just like you did. If they don't like the direction of the team, i'd encourage them to save their money. Why should they go if they don't want to be there? That doesn't sound like fun.

It's not 1 in 4. It's 1 in 5, at best. And the competition for that 1 in 5 chance will be heated.

At this point, the probability is more like 1 in 8.

That's why TM is a genius, with all the moves he made there is no way he can be accused of losing on purpose, even though he really is. The Sabres were going to be a bad team this year no matter what was done during the offseason, GMTM knew it all along. This is what happens when you strip a team down to the bare bones, and it's not a surprise that fans are frustrated with this reality because it's an approach that's never been tried before in Buffalo. The putrid decay of the carrion is a breath of fresh air to me.

It hasn't been tried to this extent in Buffalo on the ice, but Donahoe and Greggo gutted the D their 1st year and ended up w/ the #4 overall pick.

The Sabres didn't take it to quite this extreme (they held onto Patty & Dom) but they gutted that team as well when they decided they would no longer be big spenders.

So great, we get Eichel or maybe McDavid, or even both. The team still stinks and will stink for years. There is no switch to flip to suddenly become a contender.

To paraphrase Rick Jeanneret this team is "scary bad." Like bad-enough-to-lose-to-an-AHL-team bad. Paul Hamilton says Nolan is "mad" and blames himself for being "too easy" on the team. That's nice he's mad but maybe he should be mad at himself? I assume we have NHL-level talent on this team. If they can't play hockey at this level the finger will eventually get pointed at the head coach. And frankly I don't think that would be unfair.

I know we're tanking but we are worse than we have to be. And my confidence in Nolan is eroding rapidly.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

He's a Crosby-class prospect. As a rookie, Crosby had 39 goals and 63 assists. Sure, you can argue the game is lower scoring now and the Sabres are in worse shape than those Pens...but that doesn't make a 1/3 of Crosby's rookie production any less of a bad projection. It just speaks to how you have no idea what you're talking about.

I will meet you half way.

If the Sabres draft Connor McDavid in the 2015 draft..... I am willing to wager that he scores UNDER 67 points in the 2015-16 NHL season. That's halfway between Crosby and my 32.

In fact......to show you how stupid this "tank" is.....I will GIVE you 3-1 odds that Connor McDavid doesn't score 40 points as a Buffalo Sabre in 2015-14.

It's not 1 in 4. It's 1 in 5, at best. And the competition for that 1 in 5 chance will be heated.

At this point, the probability is more like 1 in 8.

You don't want in on this foxhole soldier.......save yourself.....

Why, thank you. That's been my take for a couple years now.

Also, there's nothing "advanced" about the 100% chance of drafting either McDavid or Eichel if we finish dead last. Or the 100% chance of landing Noah Hanifin (at worst) if we finish 2nd last.

As for the season ticket holders, they can vote with their dollars just like you did. If they don't like the direction of the team, i'd encourage them to save their money. Why should they go if they don't want to be there? That doesn't sound like fun.

Marcus Lattimore and Willis McGahee just called.....they say hello.....

So great, we get Eichel or maybe McDavid, or even both. The team still stinks and will stink for years. There is no switch to flip to suddenly become a contender.

To paraphrase Rick Jeanneret this team is "scary bad." Like bad-enough-to-lose-to-an-AHL-team bad. Paul Hamilton says Nolan is "mad" and blames himself for being "too easy" on the team. That's nice he's mad but maybe he should be mad at himself? I assume we have NHL-level talent on this team. If they can't play hockey at this level the finger will eventually get pointed at the head coach. And frankly I don't think that would be unfair.

I know we're tanking but we are worse than we have to be. And my confidence in Nolan is eroding rapidly.

Why does that have to be the case? The Penguins were a 5 seed with 105 points in Crosby's sophomore season.

I will meet you half way.

If the Sabres draft Connor McDavid in the 2015 draft..... I am willing to wager that he scores UNDER 67 points in the 2015-16 NHL season. That's halfway between Crosby and my 32.

In fact......to show you how stupid this "tank" is.....I will GIVE you 3-1 odds that Connor McDavid doesn't score 40 points as a Buffalo Sabre in 2015-14.

Well, considering the odds are 5-1 that we win the lottery, I'm not sure this is a very good bet :P

Now, if we manage to win the lottery, I take those odds all day every day.

Why does that have to be the case? The Penguins were a 5 seed with 105 points in Crosby's sophomore season.

Well, considering the odds are 5-1 that we win the lottery, I'm not sure this is a very good bet :P

Now, if we manage to win the lottery, I take those odds all day every day.

How about 2-1 that Eichel or McDavid don't score 45 points as a Sabre in the 2015-16 season?

Come now......if you can't love that as a Tankie......