The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

TANK-MANIA!

PS Note to anti-tankers...My feelings on tanking have no impact on the Sabres performance nor do yours. Only Commander Tim Murray, and to a much lesser extent Private Ted Nolan have access to the impact button.

Edited by LabattBlue

The very interesting time will be what happens if the sabres are running about 20 or so in late December early January. Does Murray trade away assets in an effort to finish last or does he stand pat and see what happens. I'm hoping he trades away some assets for draft picks. (Stafford, Myers, Stewart, etc. ) and finishes last. To attempt to make a push for the playoffs would be very counter productive. No player or coach is going to tank but the roster can be manipulated so that the team finishes last.

Shouldn't tankers and non-tankers be happy? We have a GM that stripped down an old core that wasn't working and had an active free agency bringing in talented players with the goal of improving the team. It takes a few years to rebuild a team, and it's not like the sabres are actually trying to lose or skate an AHL team like last year.

We had a bad team last year, and the team is trying to improve it (including free agency and trades: Stewart, deslauriers, neuvirth). It's not likely we will make huge strides (tankers are pleased) but the team is actively trying (non tankers be happy)

I don't get the debate to be honest. The gutting of this team occurred, and now we are rebuilding. The whole concept of tanking if kind of goofy. We aren't intentionally trying to lose. We gutted the team for future assets, and it so happens that means your team will be bad for a few years. There is no argument for this season, the sabres aren't going to decide to a) lose on purpose and tank or b) win on purpose. They are going to try their hardest, and if we happen to win it will be because of the young core taking huge unexpected steps. If we suck, then development is on schedule and we'll have a high draft pick. And then hopefully next year we will take a step forward or else we will suck again. The team will continue to add players, and develop our young core

Sorry for the ramble, on phone haha. Its just with all this tank vs. nontank arguments, people forget that it bears very little resemblance to what is actually occurring. The team is activly trying to win and get better, and when they make the jump, they make the jump. End of story. They arent going to trade young players for vets or anything, but if they have an opportunity to trade for a good young player they will. If they have an opportunity to sign a good vet, they will. They are no longer trying to manipulate this team roster to suck and skate and AHL tearm

The very interesting time will be what happens if the sabres are running about 20 or so in late December early January. Does Murray trade away assets in an effort to finish last or does he stand pat and see what happens. I'm hoping he trades away some assets for draft picks. (Stafford, Myers, Stewart, etc. ) and finishes last. To attempt to make a push for the playoffs would be very counter productive. No player or coach is going to tank but the roster can be manipulated so that the team finishes last.

I think the end of trading for draft picks is close unless that's the only offer for a player. If/when those folks (and I don't think Myers is on that list) are moved, we'll see more trades for players like Carrier or Deslauriers that are in Juniors or the AHL and look ready to move up. Good teams (the kind that might want a good-playing Stafford or Stewart) are looking at deep play-off runs*, which means they should have players that are ready for the NHL but can't break in because the team is good on talent already.

* We don't need to get into whether Stafford or Stewart will be helpful to a run. :)

I just sent out

It's 3 games, and I'm not one to jump to conclusions on a short stretch, which is why I'm keeping this comment in the tank thread. That said, anybody want to revise their "this team is not bad enough to truly be in the McEichel derby" position? :P

I just sent out a text asking friends to please forget I ever had that fleeting thought.

I think its almost time to get Reinhart out of here. I really underestimated how little of an impact TM's FA signings would have.

I think they're exactly what he wanted though; leadership without the possibility of improving in the standings

Good man :lol:

With me, its just every off season, as cynical as I am, I still revert to the fan days of my youth and I talk myself into believing the hype. My falling for this team though, is almost inexcusable. I have never been a Nolan fan. Like you, I knew the value of Ehrhoff, I know how long it can take for a team to come together even in the best of circumstances.

How did I expect something different? Maybe I have gone from old and cynical to just plain senile.

We need to change the thread title. I know it's only been three games, but no way the tank is only half over.

The tank ends when we draft McDavid or Eichel, therefore, it was 1/2 over when I started this thread. How long it takes to become competitive is not part of the tank.

Edited by LabattBlue

We need to change the thread title. I know it's only been three games, but no way the tank is only half over.

We might still be terrible, but we won't be so purposefully. GmTm will start making standing related moves rather than future related moves come next offseason. Also, many of our prospects will be in the Ahl/ maybe with the Sabres in 2015. It won't be about losing to get the pieces anymore cause they'll finally be in place by that point

This thread should be pinned.

Just reviewed the Anaheim game day thread.

Are there really this many fans out there that believe we aren't shooting for one of the big 2 next draft?

Were the additions that much of an attraction for fans? And the kids, holy smokes, they are going to be on a heavy learning curve, at least, the youngsters. Did fans really expect more from Risto, Samson and a couple of other youngsters? To me, them being with the big club is just them getting their feet wet, be it 9 games or a full season.

Rochester is the key. It holds the future tools for this club, and those tools are being brought along at the pace they should be. I'm speaking of Armia, McCabe and a few others. There is no reason to panic here my fellow Sabres fans. A plan has been conceived, it's implementation is being executed as this season progresses.

For those that actually buy the line of crap about 2 to 3 seasons, news flash for you, when you break down all of the talent on a team, or what little there was of it, and replace it with youth, time is what is needed for them to mature and develop, patience is what is needed from the fan base, that combined with realistic expectations.

Look beyond what is right in front of your noses, take off the blinders, see the bigger picture. Show patience with the product that lay prostrate before us now, for it won't be like this in 2 to 3 years.

Are there really this many fans out there that believe we aren't shooting for one of the big 2 next draft?

Were the additions that much of an attraction for fans? And the kids, holy smokes, they are going to be on a heavy learning curve, at least, the youngsters. Did fans really expect more from Risto, Samson and a couple of other youngsters? To me, them being with the big club is just them getting their feet wet, be it 9 games or a full season.

Rochester is the key. It holds the future tools for this club, and those tools are being brought along at the pace they should be. I'm speaking of Armia, McCabe and a few others. There is no reason to panic here my fellow Sabres fans. A plan has been conceived, it's implementation is being executed as this season progresses.

For those that actually buy the line of crap about 2 to 3 seasons, news flash for you, when you break down all of the talent on a team, or what little there was of it, and replace it with youth, time is what is needed for them to mature and develop, patience is what is needed from the fan base, that combined with realistic expectations.

Look beyond what is right in front of your noses, take off the blinders, see the bigger picture. Show patience with the product that lay prostrate before us now, for it won't be like this in 2 to 3 years.

Got it. We just need to wait for the core to mature,… now where have I heard that before?…

What's hilarious is that right now is the future that Darcy didn't want to mortgage.

This sucks.

Very well said. I still think if we land McDavid or Eichel it's still gonna be another year of missing the playoffs in 2016. So Murray might as well start loading up for the next 2 drafts!

With me, its just every off season, as cynical as I am, I still revert to the fan days of my youth and I talk myself into believing the hype. My falling for this team though, is almost inexcusable. I have never been a Nolan fan. Like you, I knew the value of Ehrhoff, I know how long it can take for a team to come together even in the best of circumstances.

How did I expect something different? Maybe I have gone from old and cynical to just plain senile.

You're not senile. And neither am .......what were we just talking about?