2014-2015 Roster

Stads

My roster thoughts a week before the season starts....

- Reinhart has shown very little against his peers in the rookie camp and the Traverse City Tournament, and against the big boys in training camp. That being said, I think he gets his 9 games, hopefully with top 6 players including PP time. If he shows little, I am torn between playing him sheltered minutes the rest of the season as a Sabre or sending him back to the WHL.

- Grigs has shown improvement, but while Reinhart is getting his 9 game tryout, I'd love to see Grigs go to the AHL, tear it up, and either get called up if Reihnhart gets sent back or as the first injury callup.

- Stewart has been impressive in the preseason, but we've all seen inconsistent players in the past become really good in contract years. Be careful TM, be very very careful.

- I like Larsson a lot as a 3rd line player. Too bad about the concussion symptoms. I think he was going to make the team.

- Hodgson, Ennis, Stafford, Stewart, Gionta, Moulson, Girgensons in the top 9. That leaves two spots, plus 3 more on the 4th line. I don't have any idea how this plays out.

- This may be Foligno's last chance to show he belongs as anything more than a 4th line grinder.

- I still think goaltending could be a train wreck this year.

- Risto stays, Zadorov back to juniors and McCabe starts the year in Rochester. That leaves your top 7 as Risto, Gorges, Myers, Weber, Ruhwedel, Meszaros & Benoit. This group could be a surprise, or could be below average.

Things I would love to see this season...

- Girgensons takes a big step up offensively.

- Armia and Grigorenko both show they can DOMINATE at the AHL level.

- Reinhart is a pleasant surprise, stays with the big club and puts up 30-35 points.

- Myers reverse his career downward spiral, and looks like a top 4 blueliner once again.

- Hodgson transition to wing proves to be a good move.

- TANK...I won't be cheering for the Sabres to lose, but won't be disappointed if they do so.

A lot of good stuff in here. Especially the Stewart caution

So the predictable cuts today, except I am surprised Strachan is still around.

Must be looking good in practice, because in exhibition so far he's showed me nothing.

Could Weber have fallen so far out of favour Strachn is being eyed for his role?

On the Weber topic, I don't have any feel for what Nolan or Murray think of him.

Does anyone else?

Edited by dudacek

So the predictable cuts today, except I am surprised Strachan is still around.

Must be looking good in practice, because in exhibition so far he's showed me nothing.

Could Weber have fallen so far out of favour Strachn is being eyed for his role?

On the Weber topic, I don't have any feel for what Nolan or Murray think of him.

Does anyone else?

Murray has been on record as prefering mobile, puck moving D-men. I think the writing was on the wall for Weber the moment TM was announced as GM.

And I also think Weber has an NHL job next season. It just won't be with Buffalo.

- Risto stays, Zadorov back to juniors and McCabe starts the year in Rochester. That leaves your top 7 as Risto, Gorges, Myers, Weber, Ruhwedel, Meszaros & Benoit. This group could be a surprise, or could be below average.

Ooops. I forgot about Pysyk. Helps somewhat, but still a very pedestrian group.

They'll probably keep 7 D, so I expect Strachan to be the 7th who will get occasional games. I don't think Weber is a top 6 D anymore, but they'll keep him for leadership this year and probably pair with Risto. Maybe trade deadline depth for a playoff team.

I think at his price-tag, Weber would have no trouble clearing waivers. Still a nice guy to have in the organization for emergency depth.

Guess this will be our opening line up.

Gorges - Myers

Ristolainen-Benoit

Mezaros-McCabe

Weber

Hodgson-Grigorenko-Stewart

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Foligno- Reinhart - Gionta

Deslauriers-Girgensons-Mcormick

Dalpe/mitchell

Flynn

Enroth

Neuvirth

One too many players on that roster. Limit is 23.

One too many players on that roster. Limit is 23.

I think the Dalpe/Mitchell listing means one or the other. That's typically how I read that anyway.

edit: I'll stick with my annual stance and say they should carry 22. They might as well get that extra guy some ice time instead of sitting in the press box. That's the great luxury we have with Rochester right down the street. We can get these guys back quickly if needed. If road trips get in the way of that, you bring up the 23rd guy ahead of time.

Edited by shrader

Guess this will be our opening line up.

Gorges - Myers

Ristolainen-Benoit

Mezaros-McCabe

Weber

Hodgson-Grigorenko-Stewart

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Foligno- Reinhart - Gionta

Deslauriers-Girgensons-Mcormick

Dalpe/mitchell

Flynn

Enroth

Neuvirth

For the time being, you have to count Larsson as well, I don't think he can be sent down until he's healthy again, right?

For the time being, you have to count Larsson as well, I don't think he can be sent down until he's healthy again, right?

Yeah i didn't include the injuries , because they don't count against a 23 man roster.

I assume Dalpe/mitchell will be gone when kaleta shows up.

Also wouldn't surprise me if they keep Reinhart longer around the big team and scratch him a few times.

Looking at who's eligible to be sent down, etc.

Moulson - Ennis - Stafford

Hodgson - Girgensons - Gionta

Stewart - Mitchell - Foligno

Flynn - McCormick - Deslauriers

Myers - Meszaros

Gorges - Benoit

Pysyk - Ristolainen

Enroth - Neuvirth

That's 20, 3 scratches are:

Weber, Kaleta, Strachan

Extra Forwards:

Larsson - he's a 3/4 line call up (no waivers)

Grigorenko - he's a 1/2 line call up (no waivers)

Extra Defense:

Ruhwedel - Callup #1

McCabe - Callup #2

Zadarov will be in Juniors. Because he can be. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him 9 games (they still can this year right?)

Reinhart will be in Juniors. Because he can be. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him 9 games.

They'll have Pysyk out until 9 games is up (or send him/Risto down) to make room for Zadarov for his 9 games. With Kaleta and Larsson out for an indeterminate time period they will have room for Reinhart for now. Larsson can be sent down and Kaleta is out for a few months so that makes it easy for the first 9 games.

This allows for maximum roster flexibility. It allows players who need to develop now time to do so and puts those players who can wait a year back into the appropriate spots. You can argue all you want about what is best for the player but I don't see Zadarov getting worse in Juniors. He doesn't need to be in the NHL now. Absolutely nothing they do will be about this year. Zadarov may benefit from playing in the NHL, but it will start his contract and it will change the Sabres timelines. He's going back to Juniors and he should already know it.

I think Larsson, Grigorenko, and McCabe will see significant time in Buffalo this year due to injuries.

I think y'all are nuts not putting Weber in the top 6. Benoit over him? I don't think so.

I think it's more likely that Weber gets into the top 6 over Pysyk or Risto (probably Pysyk, especially because of his injury) than over Benoit. Benoit played over 20 min per game for a good team last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.