2014-2015 Roster

Stads

If it is seriously the first time you heard it described as luck then you need to read a little more. Take a look at some of the guys Detroit has drafted ahead of the guys that they hit on and tell me there isn't a little luck involved. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, they are no different then Tom Brady. If the team knew how they were going to pan out they wouldn't have let 30 teams have more then 5 chances at them before picking them.

A little luck, I'm not gonna go back upthread, but I think TBPhD described it as "huge" luck.

No one delivers that many playoff victories over that length of time with luck, the sample size is just too large for random variations like luck to be a "huge" factor.

I think that was the first post from Deluca that wasn't just an attempt to say the opposite of what everybody else is saying.

Saying this team might be good is absolutely the contrarian position right now.

A little luck, I'm not gonna go back upthread, but I think TBPhD described it as "huge" luck.

No one delivers that many playoff victories over that length of time with luck, the sample size is just too large for random variations like luck to be a "huge" factor.

You're either looking at the question the wrong way or taking what I'm trying to say the wrong way. Making the playoffs 20 straight years is not, in and of itself, luck-based success. But looking at it like that is ignoring an event (or three, in this case) which was luck-driven: drafting a top-5 all time Dman and two possible HoF centers in the middle-late rounds of the draft, in close enough proximity where they all share a playing prime. Making the playoffs each year, to say nothing of 20 consecutive years, was not luck, those were great teams. But the greatness of those teams was dependent upon a series of events which had a massive luck component. Again, getting Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg where the Wings got them was either grand luck or total incompetence.

Not saying that Arizona is going to move but they really could use a player that can fill the seats. Most other teams that are bad are still filling the arena's. Not so in Phoenix. That's my reasoning.

I live in PHX and there is no way he puts butts in the seats. The arena is in a horrible place and it's not worth my time to fight traffic to go out there, If the arena was built in the east valley it wouldn't be so bad.

You're either looking at the question the wrong way or taking what I'm trying to say the wrong way. Making the playoffs 20 straight years is not, in and of itself, luck-based success. But looking at it like that is ignoring an event (or three, in this case) which was luck-driven: drafting a top-5 all time Dman and two possible HoF centers in the middle-late rounds of the draft, in close enough proximity where they all share a playing prime. Making the playoffs each year, to say nothing of 20 consecutive years, was not luck, those were great teams. But the greatness of those teams was dependent upon a series of events which had a massive luck component. Again, getting Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg where the Wings got them was either grand luck or total incompetence.

What are the odds that essentially all of the eastern block great players for a decade went to one team is luck? They were late round because there was risk. That they were good and the team with the foresight to put great scouts in Russia has very little to do with luck. They made their own luck. Random variation had little to do with it.

What are the odds that essentially all of the eastern block great players for a decade went to one team is luck? They were late round because there was risk. That they were good and the team with the foresight to put great scouts in Russia has very little to do with luck. They made their own luck. Random variation had little to do with it.

So you are saying is that Detroit knew these guys were that good but because of risk involved with picking these guys they decided to draft 3 or 4 guys they knew had very little chance of making the team before pulling the trigger on the future hall of famers

So you are saying is that Detroit knew these guys were that good but because of risk involved with picking these guys they decided to draft 3 or 4 guys they knew had very little chance of making the team before pulling the trigger on the future hall of famers

Are you saying they got lucky drafting from Eastern Europe for a decade? They had misses too, but they set themselves up for the hits by scouting where no one else really was. They made their own "luck". That those three guys happened to be the guys may be random, but some of them were going to come over, and they were going to have a huge advantage because their "throwaway" picks suddenly had value.

Saying this team might be good is absolutely the contrarian position right now.

Considering how often the majority on this board gets it wrong, I would say "contrarian" is the only way to go. ;)

It's good to have you back. :thumbsup:

Thanks, but I haven't changed, the Sabres have.

What do I have to be negative about? Over the past year I have pretty much gotten everything I could ask for. Status Quo is gone and the roster has been stripped down and is in the process of being rebuilt by a GM I can have faith in.

Forgive my response, it was just different than the norm. I've sided with you more than most, glad the franchise has finally aligned with your views.

What do I have to be negative about? Over the past year I have pretty much gotten everything I could ask for. Status Quo is gone and the roster has been stripped down and is in the process of being rebuilt by a GM I can have faith in.

This. It will take time, but the necessary steps have been taken and I Murray seems to be made of the right stuff.

This. It will take time, but the necessary steps have been taken and I Murray seems to be made of the right stuff.

Think about now compared to a year ago. The Sabres were going into a season with Regier,Rolston everyone wondering if Vanek and Miller will be resigned or dealt. IMO, this franchise is going into this season with clear focus and direction which is something many have felt the franchise has been without for many seasons.

What I look forward most to is next season, most of our prospects are a year away from breaking out. Include a 2015 top 5 pick to that mix and the 2015-2016 is going to be fun.

Meanwhile for this season, i think the guys will lay the groundwork by becoming a hardworking, hardhitting team again.

Tons of luck involved in any successful draft. Some drafts you have better odds of hitting 31 Black in Roulette.

Good times ahead, that's for sure.

Agree. Just disagree on the timetable.

Tons of luck involved in any successful draft. Some drafts you have better odds of hitting 31 Black...

But can you really point to luck when guys do it over and over for a decade? The gambling analogy is perfect. Poker involves a fair amount of luck, but it's not the same 12 guys at the final table of the WSOP events because they are simply more lucky. They're there because they make choices to set up their own luck.

Exactly this. Risk or no risk, any team would gladly take HoF players over career AHLers.

But can you really point to luck when guys do it over and over for a decade? The gambling analogy is perfect. Poker involves a fair amount of luck, but it's not the same 12 guys at the final table of the WSOP events because they are simply more lucky. They're there because they make choices to set up their own luck.

Drafting is just the raw material, development is equally important in that it maximizes your poor odds..

Think about now compared to a year ago. The Sabres were going into a season with Regier,Rolston everyone wondering if Vanek and Miller will be resigned or dealt. IMO, this franchise is going into this season with clear focus and direction which is something many have felt the franchise has been without for many seasons.

Of course, GMTM still has to make the right calls on players -- at this point, nobody knows if guys like Reinhart, Neuvirth, Gionta, Moulson, Fasching, Carrier, etc. will turn out to have been good decisions.

Detroit gets credit for going to an area few other teams were. Detroit does not get credit for thinking "best case 4th liner" was a better pick multiple times than "best case HoF" would have been. Back then the draft was an even bigger crap shoot than it is now, so I don't buy the "they avoided until round 5 because of risk" argument even a little bit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.