2014-2015 Roster

Stads

I am going to assume that you meant something else than what you wrote then. You said "If Eichel isn't in this draft then the next guy is a 6/7 to McDavid's 10. And that's no insult because the guys behind McEichel are still very talented"

So to me that reads the guys behind McDavid, outside of Eichel you see is 6/7 on the scale. Or you are using some random changing scale which makes absolutely no sense.

No. I said that they are a 6/7 on the scale of one to McDavid. "6/7 to McDavid's 10."

No. I said that they are a 6/7 on the scale of one to McDavid. "6/7 to McDavid's 10."

What does that even mean. The talent scale is 1-10. 10 being Crosby and probably McDavid. 6/7 is like Jake McCabe for defenders and probably Brandon Lemieux, Eric Cornel for forwards. That scale doesn't get adjusted which it appears you are trying to do. This forum has had this debate before 10 is generational, 9 is NHL star, 8 is top 6 forward, 7 is borderline top 6, 6 is bottom 6 forward, 5 is borderline NHL/4th liner. 5 is a work in prgogress but most likely AHL lifer, 4 is AHL lifer if hes lucky, 3 is I hope he makes the AHL, 2 is well we tried and 1 is WTF!?

If we pick Mceichel and we go on multiple stanley cup runs. Darcy needs a statue :P

Well what if the man who started the tear down for McDavid. Actually get his man in Arizona. I wouldn't be shocked for one and think about this. They really don't have much offense wise and who really knows how good they will be or bad. So if Arizona finishes in the bottom 5-8 don't be shocked. I'm sure the NHL would love to put McDavid in Arizona to help a struggling franchise with it's fanbase. You heard it first. I hope it doesn't happen but nothing would shock me with the NHL. It's not like you are actually seeing all the lottery balls in front of you when they are doing the top 5 picks. Who knows what is happening behind those closed doors.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Well what if the man who started the tear down for McDavid. Actually get his man in Arizona. I wouldn't be shocked for one and think about this. They really don't have much offense wise and who really knows how good they will be or bad. So if Arizona finishes in the bottom 5-8 don't be shocked. I'm sure the NHL would love to put McDavid in Arizona to help a struggling franchise with it's fanbase. You heard it first. I hope it doesn't happen but nothing would shock me with the NHL. It's not like you are actually seeing all the lottery balls in front of you when they are doing the top 5 picks. Who knows what is happening behind those closed doors.

First? You've been preaching this idea for months now.

First? You've been preaching this idea for months now.

Yeah that's true. I really hope I'm wrong but you look at Arizona they lost their goal scorers this offseason and were already hurting for goals. Yes they picked up Gagner and Domi will probably make the team this year but who knows how much they can contribute. I just think the NHL would love to help out a struggling fanbase and with Darcy there it would be Karma if he landed the player he wanted that ended up costing him his job. (Not pinning the total rebuild on him but his inability to get the job done is what I should have said).

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Yeah that's true. I really hope I'm wrong but you look at Arizona they lost their goal scorers this offseason and were already hurting for goals. Yes they picked up Gagner and Domi will probably make the team this year but who knows how much they can contribute. I just think the NHL would love to help out a struggling fanbase and with Darcy there it would be Karma if he landed the player he wanted that ended up costing him his job. (Not pinning the total rebuild on him but his inability to get the job done is what I should have said).

They do have solid defense though, two stud defensman who provide alot of the offense.

They do have solid defense though, two stud defensman who provide alot of the offense.

Yes I agree but an injury or two and they are in deep trouble.

Phoenix actually should be competing for a playoff spot again. They have a few young players like Domi and Samuelsson who are ready to shine.

Maybe it all depends on their goaltending and who knows if they injury bug hits them. To me this team needs a superstar as do we but somehow the NHL will find a way to *uck us!

All of that and the idea that the NHL would conspire to put the next big superstar in Phoenix is absolutely absurd.

Correct. This is of a piece with the "refs always screw us" garbage I was complaining about yesterday.

Not saying that Arizona is going to move but they really could use a player that can fill the seats. Most other teams that are bad are still filling the arena's. Not so in Phoenix. That, plus an irrational belief in whacked-out conspiracy theories, is my reasoning.

Fixed.

I'd buy into this if you could explain to me how this team was going to score roughly 50+ more goals this years. We had 157goals last year. The next closest team in the east to make the playoffs was Montreal with 215goals. In the west you had 206 from LA (We aren't going to be LA). So that means to make the playoffs offensively we need about 50-60 more goals this season. Even with Matt Moulson for an entire year, I don't think we make that plateau.

One more thing to add, both teams that made the playoffs with the least # of goals scored, also had positive goal differentials. Buffalo was a -91 goal differential with Ryan Miller playing 2/3 of the year. Food for thought.

Take last seasons goal totals and team defense numbers and toss them out the window. Last season was about a change at GM/coach and purging the roster of expiring assets, not to mention the run of goalie injuries. In my mind, this season is the first season where the franchise is building it's self up. Going into the season the Sabres don't have their most talented players wondering if or when they will be moves. The veterans signed in the off-season know they are here for the season.

I'm not saying the Sabres will be a Cup contender, I do think they will get enough offensive bump from the young guys, goaltending and veteran production to make the eighth spot in the East. If there is any truth to the Nolan reputation regarding getting max production out of less talented players, it will need to show this season.

I am really wondering what kind of effect the coaching will have.

You watch the difference between Ennis and Stafford post Nolan.

Rolston undermined their confidence, told them they were doing things wrong and forced them to change their games, cramming it into restrictive boxes.

Nolan has said you guys are good hockey players: work hard, trust your instincts and good things will happen.

I have a feeling Ennis in particular is going to have a career year.

I think this team is going to be better than people think playing themselves out of the McDavid and Eichel sweepstakes. I think they have a making of a solid defensive core and I think you have a few goaltenders with something to prove. Plus you throw in a full season of Nolan and Trots and I think u have a lot of guys playing hard.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I think this team is going to be better than people think playing themselves out of the McDavid and Eichel sweepstakes. I think they have a making of a solid defensive core and I think you have a few goaltenders with something to prove. Plus you throw in a full season of Nolan and Trots and I think u have a lot of guys playing hard.

I think they will be 15 points better than last year.

But that still puts them smack in the middle of McEichel derby.

I am really wondering what kind of effect the coaching will have.

You watch the difference between Ennis and Stafford post Nolan.

Rolston undermined their confidence, told them they were doing things wrong and forced them to change their games, cramming it into restrictive boxes.

Nolan has said you guys are good hockey players: work hard, trust your instincts and good things will happen.

I have a feeling Ennis in particular is going to have a career year.

And Stafford.

And Myers.

Take last seasons goal totals and team defense numbers and toss them out the window. Last season was about a change at GM/coach and purging the roster of expiring assets, not to mention the run of goalie injuries. In my mind, this season is the first season where the franchise is building it's self up. Going into the season the Sabres don't have their most talented players wondering if or when they will be moves. The veterans signed in the off-season know they are here for the season.

I'm not saying the Sabres will be a Cup contender, I do think they will get enough offensive bump from the young guys, goaltending and veteran production to make the eighth spot in the East. If there is any truth to the Nolan reputation regarding getting max production out of less talented players, it will need to show this season.

Why anyone would want that is beyond me - pretty well clinches that the Sabres will look forward to another decade without a Stanley Cup.

Edited by Crusader1969

Why anyone would want that is beyond me - pretty well clinches that the Sabres will look forward to another decade without a Stanley Cup.

Yeah I can't fathom what will happen if we don't get one of McEichel. To think our entire next ten years comes down to a couple guys in the 2015 draft. Thank God this is not how it really works or sports would suck.

I'm not advocating I'm simply expressing my view based on what I believe the 2014-15 roster will be. A roster which I believe is nowhere near the worst in East. A lot is based on the staying healthy and a reasonable expectation of growth from the younger players likely to make up a big portion of the roster.

Yeah I can't fathom what will happen if we don't get one of McEichel. To think our entire next ten years comes down to a couple guys in the 2015 draft. Thank God this is not how it really works or sports would suck.

Exactly. The success of the 2015 draft will be based on Tim Murray's ability to maximize all the picks they have not just who or where their first pick is. If any fan is looking for a savior in this or any draft the are heading for a world of disappointment.

This is exactly how Sports work - an Elite Player can change the course of a franchise for years.

My point was a lot of you are acting like its McEichel or bust for our future. Yes, getting one of those two would be great. However, if we don't it doesn't mean all the gloom and doom that many on here predict.

28 teams are not going to get McEichel. You think the league is going to just stop? Take the last 15 top overall picks from the 4 major sports. Now add up how many championships they have won.

I honestly don't have the exact number. Don't have the time to look it up. Maybe i would be surprised by the number but my guess is of the 60 picks totaling 900 seasons you have less than 5% of championships won by teams with #1 overall picks on it.

Edited by sicknfla

My point was a lot of you are acting like its McEichel or bust for our future. Yes, getting one of those two would be great. However, if we don't it doesn't mean all the gloom and doom that many on here predict.

28 teams are not going to get McEichel. You think the league is going to just stop? Take the last 15 top overall picks from the 4 major sports. Now add up how many championships they have won.

I honestly don't have the exact number. Don't have the time to look it up. Maybe i would be surprised by the number but my guess is of the 60 picks totaling 900 seasons you have less than 5% of championships won by teams with #1 overall picks on it.

29 teams are not going to get McEichel

#InGarthWeTrust

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.