2014-2015 Roster

Stads

I don't like the line of Hodgson-Reihnhart-Gionta at all. Not enough size or grit on the wings. I like having Gionta with him from an experience perspective, put get Moulson, Stafford, Stewart...or even Foligno on the other wing.

I had the same 1st thought when I saw those lines. Especially after Samson getting rocked a couple times earlier this year. I greatly prefer Stewart being on Reinharts right.

Nikita didn't earn it, but Pysyk's injury certainly helped.

Well, I think the standard for "earning" a 9-game look is a lower bar than the standard for earning a roster spot in the NHL as opposed to Rochester -- i.e. Griggy would've had to do more to earn his spot than Nikita had to do for his.

I don't like the Grigorenko decision, but I understand it. I agree that it was the easiest move for the time being, that it may very well put the Sabres off to a slow start (which is what Tank Nation wants), and that, more than likely, Grigorenko is the first call-up. Logistically, if Samson is getting his 9, then there is really no room for Grigorenko. So, if Samson gets 9 and gets sent down, I would suspect the plan would be to call up Grigorenko unless his attitude and game goes south his first handful of games in the AHL (which I don't expect).

I do have to say I like the Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart line quite a bit. If Foligno lives up to the idea of Foligno, then that's a gritty third line right there.

Does anyone expect Ennis to remain at center for the rest of his career? I don't.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I don't like the Grigorenko decision, but I understand it. I agree that it was the easiest move for the time being, that it may very well put the Sabres off to a slow start (which is what Tank Nation wants), and that, more than likely, Grigorenko is the first call-up. Logistically, if Samson is getting his 9, then there is really no room for Grigorenko. So, if Samson gets 9 and gets sent down, I would suspect the plan would be to call up Grigorenko unless his attitude and game goes south his first handful of games in the AHL (which I don't expect).

I do have to say I like the Foligno-Girgensons-Stewart line quite a bit. If Foligno lives up to the idea of Foligno, then that's a gritty third line right there.

Does anyone expect Ennis to remain at center for the rest of his career? I don't.

I do, but only if he becomes a Briere type.

Also, if he doesn't become that, then that's where his NHL career probably ends.

Could be as simple as the Sabres thinking this is best for each player's development: Reinhart and Zadorov need to be challenged, and Grigorenko needs to be the go-to guy.

It will be interesting to see what Ted and Tim have to say.

Which we won't get because it's FOOTBALL MONDAY!!!!! woo-hoo. wee.

Official on Reinhart:

@BuffaloSabres: Nolan says Sam Reinhart will play Thursday in #Sabres' home opener vs. #CBJ.

I'm firmly with TBPhd on this: this is bullsh*&t. This goes against Nolan's stated MO.

What Ted Nolan says to the media and what Ted Nolan and more importantly Tim Murray have told Mikhail Grigorenko are in all likelihood different things. Of course from all accounts they just want Grigs to reach his full potential. Sounds like Tim Murray is sticking with all the things he has said about developing players and putting them in situations to succeed.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-prospect-sam-reinhart-will-debut-opening-night-final-roster-still-not-set/

Grigorenko, the No. 12 pick in 2012, impressed the Sabres during training camp.

“He handled it like a pro, a lot different last year than when we talked to him,” Nolan said. “He understood the situation. When he’s ready to go 100 percent, when he’s here, he should be here.”

Edited by LGR4GM

A little disappointing that grigorenko didn't make the team, as I thought he earned a spot. But, that is the life of a prospect sometimes you have to become "over-ripe" in the minors. And with that being said, grigorenko hasn't done anything in the AHL and is still with stuff to learn in the AHL. If he gets pissed off and falls apart, then that is 100% on him, not the sabres

If Samson goes back to the OHL after 9 games, grigorenko has a good chance of taking his spot. If Reinhart kills it and plays great and keeps his spot, then that's a good spot to be in :)

Edited by Numark

So if Nikita appeared in 7 games last year, does that mean he only has two left or is it by each season?

9 games a season. Zadorov is allowed to play 9 games in the NHL this year and still have his contract slide, not burning up a year on his ELC.

Also, if he doesn't become that, then that's where his NHL career probably ends.

Disagree. He is solid where he is now. He's already locked in for a long NHL career barring injury or sudden suckitude.

So if Nikita appeared in 7 games last year, does that mean he only has two left or is it by each season?

You can do the contract slide twice so he gets this year, too.

Great... Griggy is pissed off again (he's right this time)

@BuffNewsVogl: BN Exclusive: Demoted Grigorenko says "I probably earned at least the start of the season here" with the Sabres. http://t.co/ICdTH8u7sF

That is not at all the sense I got from reading that article. Classic click-bait tweet.

I don't blame him.

That is not at all the sense I got from reading that article. Classic click-bait tweet.

I agree, but even after you read the article, it's pretty clear Grigorenko is disappointed. And for that, again, I don't blame him...

Edited by sizzlemeister

I acfually think it's clear from the article that Grigo thinks he was wronged. Says he believes he earned it and "they" think otherwise. He's saying the right things after that point, but the early portion of the article is clearly a miffed player who just earned a spot that he didn't get.

Darcy really ###### this kid over.

I acfually think it's clear from the article that Grigo thinks he was wronged. Says he believes he earned it and "they" think otherwise. He's saying the right things after that point, but the early portion of the article is clearly a miffed player who just earned a spot that he didn't get.

Darcy really ###### this kid over.

I re-read, I don't see that at all. I'm also fairly certain that Vogl is doing his best to make a story out of it.

A lot of "I did this" "I am proud of me" "I did what I could." Then "they didn't."

Not that I see anything wrong with it. He's right. He played extremely well. Was one of the best players on the team all camp. And now you're going to tell him he can't make one of the worst teams (if not THE worst) in the league despite constantly preaching that players have to earn it? Tank on.

He may have been one of the best players in the exhibition games that we all saw but I think it's crazy after 4 or 5 preseason games to think he is one of the best players on the team at this point. There was one centre spot open and they're giving the second overall pick the first crack at it with a 9 game audition. He got screwed over by the way Darcy handled him but I have no problem putting him in Roch for a few months.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.