2014-2015 Roster

Stads

I'm not going to try to interpret the subjective meaning of a few sentences from an interview like I know how Grigs feels. He is only 20 years old and has made great strides, if he continues to grow, then he will be up with the team permanently soon rather than later. If he does bad in the ahl, then its on him. This isn't someone who has dominated the AHL and has paid his dues. I personally think he should be up, but its not crazy to see the sabres thought process in giving samson his 9 game tryout first

While Grigs was much better than the past two training camps, I'd hardly call him one of the best players on the team through camp. People get caught up with his very nice goal, and highlight shootout goal, but I'd like to see him put up dominating scoring numbers in the AHL, before I bring him back up. He can hustle all he wants, he can improve his skating, he can put on weight...

...but until he shows he can score, he is useless to the Sabres. Be a .75 point per game player through the end of the year as an Amerk, and we'll see you in blue & gold come January. Same goes for Armia.

nevermind.

I wouldn't say he was the best player, but his improvement from last season to this was THE best in camp, bar none. Was he ONE of the best players? Maybe, depending how large the sample size is.

If you define "best" as a player's effort + skill + potential + growth, I think it's indisputable.

Edited by sizzlemeister

Great... Griggy is pissed off again (he's right this time)

@BuffNewsVogl: BN Exclusive: Demoted Grigorenko says "I probably earned at least the start of the season here" with the Sabres. http://t.co/ICdTH8u7sF

Did you read the article before posting?

Grigorenko is indeed disappointed, but he says he won't let it linger because he wants to be back.

"It depends how I play down in Roch," Grigorenko told The News. "I’ll just go there and work as hard as I worked here. I will try to be the best player, and I want to be the first guy to be up. Score goals, get points and that’s it, work hard. I guess if I’m the first guy on the score sheet, I’ll be the first guy to be up."

Grigorenko sounds disappointed but understanding and ready to work to prove Nolan and Company wrong. He doesn't appeared "pissed off" at all.

Here is the link to the Nolan press conference which sheds some light on the Grigorenko decision and makes me firmly believe there isn't any games being played. Sounds like they want Grigs in Rochester learning and growing more but he is close to NHL caliber in their minds.

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1373&id=637645&lang=en&navid=DL|BUF|home

Sounds like he is pissed off - in the right way.

I'm looking forward to seeing him rip up the AHL and being back as soon as a spot opens.

I'm not buying the meritocracy claims though, with Reinhart and Zadorov being the prime examples.

This roster looks pretty much exactly like tim Murray expected it to look in July.

Sounds like he is pissed off - in the right way.

I'm looking forward to seeing him rip up the AHL and being back as soon as a spot opens.

Reading through the reactions here, I wonder why it would be so bad if he is pissed. This could very easily be the exact move that lights a fire under his ass. Grigorenko needs to go out there and show the world that he belongs in the NHL and hopefully this will be the moment where he finally gets it.

Reading through the reactions here, I wonder why it would be so bad if he is pissed. This could very easily be the exact move that lights a fire under his ass. Grigorenko needs to go out there and show the world that he belongs in the NHL and hopefully this will be the moment where he finally gets it.

And if that is the message Murray is trying to send, good for him.

This team needs men, not spoiled boys.

I think it's a good idea to send Grigorenko back to Rochester...but he needs to be put on a line with Armia, and played in ALL situations.

As for the captaincy? Anybody else besides Gionta would be a slap in the face to him, after leaving Montreal for Buffalo. He was a long-time Captain of the most storied franchise in hockey...this is the reason he was brought in, to be the Captain of the NHL's worst team. (Nobody deserves it more.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I think it's a good idea to send Grigorenko back to Rochester...but he needs to be put on a line with Armia, and played in ALL situations.

As for the captaincy? Anybody else besides Gionta would be a slap in the face to him, after leaving Montreal for Buffalo. He was a long-time Captain of the most storied franchise in hockey...this is the reason he was brought in, to be the Captain of the NHL's worst team. (Nobody deserves it more.)

Vets are often careful about taking the C. It isn't just for honor, or respect or show. It often means sorting lots of locker room crap out and handling the media. Many see it as a burden. I wouldn't be sure he'd want it.

I want to be clear on something: in the abstract, I have absolutely zero issue with Grigorenko going down and Reinhart getting his games--in fact, I think it's the best thing for both the players and the franchise long term, and makes sense in terms of contract status and eligibility. It's precisely how I want things done. However, this is a much different approach than awarding everything based on merit, and if they are going to do it this way, Nolan should cut back on the rhetoric about work and earned time. I do not think it is going to be a problem because of this, but I think there is a very real danger of losing the team if a pattern emerges where actions do not match words.

Edit: I would also like to point out that Sizzle and I agree on something. Seeing as this essentially never happens, we're obviously right on this :nana:

Edited by TrueBluePhD

No , he needs to be put on a line with Cody :P

Another issue is Zadorov, I don't know if there is room for him in juniors even. That also might be a reason why they are making this roster moves.

Grigorenko is a guy that wants to play for the sabres, next year we might have a good luxury problem.

Mcdavid/eichel 1A

Grigorenko 2a

reinhart 2b

Larsson 4c

Notice how i left out Zemgus, because in this situation he is better off on the wing of Grigs or reinhart.

Edited by Heimdall

Maybe i have been to much of a fanboy when it comes to grigorenko, and the fact i got drunk on monday isn't helping it much either.

I just don't see Armia and Grigorenko getting along, all i read from alot of you guys, Grigs needs to tear up the AHL with Armia.

Sorry i just don't see that happen. I can see them both doing well, but on seperate lines.

I do see Armia doing well with the likes of Reinhart, Mcdavid. Not Eichel, Eichel is better than Mcdavid because he has a wicked shot.

I want to be clear on something: in the abstract, I have absolutely zero issue with Grigorenko going down and Reinhart getting his games--in fact, I think it's the best thing for both the players and the franchise long term, and makes sense in terms of contract status and eligibility. It's precisely how I want things done. However, this is a much different approach than awarding everything based on merit, and if they are going to do it this way, Nolan should cut back on the rhetoric about work and earned time. I do not think it is going to be a problem because of this, but I think there is a very real danger of losing the team if a pattern emerges where actions do not match words.

Edit: I would also like to point out that Sizzle and I agree on something. Seeing as this essentially never happens, we're obviously right on this :nana:

"Guys have to work hard and earn it" is not the same as "the only thing that matters is that they work hard and earn it"

Just wanted to point that out. Nolan never uttered the latter.

Drunk two days in a row, nice.

Well been boozing since

thursday actually 5 bottles of white wine in 2 hrs with a friend of mine

Friday night, Darts night, well 20 beers are a start then

Saturday party party party party

Sunday, well took a day off a bit :P

Tonight, had cravings ... knowing i had to work 7 nights after this one :P

Seems I'll be watching Rochester games instead of sabres games, just liking grigs to much :P

Well been boozing since

thursday actually 5 bottles of white wine in 2 hrs with a friend of mine

Friday night, Darts night, well 20 beers are a start then

Saturday party party party party

Sunday, well took a day off a bit :P

Tonight, had cravings ... knowing i had to work 7 nights after this one :P

Seems I'll be watching Rochester games instead of sabres games, just liking grigs to much :P

Drink on, my friend.

"Guys have to work hard and earn it" is not the same as "the only thing that matters is that they work hard and earn it"

Just wanted to point that out. Nolan never uttered the latter.

I'm aware, and I may be guilty of going PA-on-Pegula with this, but when a guy mentions work and honest effort and heart every time he's in front of a mic, then that should be pretty central to any decision. I'm thinking more of Zadorov with this one, but giving a guy his 9 games just because it's an option seems to be a pretty weak reason to sidestep a core tenet of somebody's coaching philosophy. I think we can agree that due to numbers it would take a modern miracle for Zadorov to make the team, and many would agree he hasn't come close to earning it, so why is he here? What gives?

Edit: something about "guys have to work hard and earn it" followed with an implied "...and have a favorable contract situation" just doesn't jive with me from a coach with Nolan's reputation. Maybe all I really want is Nolan to tone down the rhetoric when he knows the politics of it all also plays a role? I think that might be it.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Would say it's a shame he got sent down, but IMHO he didn't show more than Ennis and there was no possible way that Sam doesn't get 9 games. I'd rather he play 1st line minutes in Ra-cha-cha than 4th line & pp in Buffalo.

Would not be surprised to see Sam down @ the end of 9 and Grigs taking that spot. He seems to be maturing; let's see how he plays the 1st 3 weeks in the A and hope he earns the callup.

IMHO it'd be a waste playing him on a checking or energy line. And these guys don't have enough good wingers at present to have 3 offensively solid lines. Hopefully in a year or 2 they can replicate the Kings / Bruins sort of model.

Guess im coming to terms with this a bit, lets just try to see this as a move helping out the 2015-2016 team.

But somethign just doesn't feel right about Grigs getting send back. Anyways when he lights the NHL up, he'll be fan favorite, this has buffalo written all over it :P

(if he doesn't get traded :cry: )

I agree that it looks bad when the coach is throwing out the hard work and earn it lines and he goes back on it. Nolan was buttering up that grigs toast big time all preseason. I understand it was the safe move and could be said to be the best move, but this is the kind of thing that could lead to future problems. Grig might only be a prospect and have a low ranking on the pecking order. But I am betting the other guys in the locker room will remember it if something like this plays out with a more established player down the road.

The interesting this is Grigs is a RFA at the end of the season. I feel bad for the guy but it's best for the organization long term and good for him if he continues to put in the work and doesn't dwell on it. The contract between the CHL and the NHL sucks because Reinhart to me doesn't deserve to get 9 games when I thought Grigs was better than him in the games I watched. I know the reason why but if your preaching earn your spot and work hard then he shouldn't get games but I get it. Both should be in the AHL playing against better competition and developing.

Did Samson do something to show he wasn't serious or working hard? Did Nikita? I hadn't heard that. I did hear that less than twelve months ago Mikhail was not taking his job seriously enough nor working hard enough. I had not heard that about the other two. I assume that their effort and dedication are independent of Grigorenko's improvement in those areas.

Did Samson do something to show he wasn't serious or working hard? Did Nikita? I hadn't heard that. I did hear that less than twelve months ago Mikhail was not taking his job seriously enough nor working hard enough. I had not heard that about the other two. I assume that their effort and dedication are independent of Grigorenko's improvement in those areas.

yes like one month ago

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.