I'm sure they'll sign some token free agents, but as for seeing better hockey next year I highly doubt it. It just doesn't make any sense to be this bad this year and to not be this bad or worse next year. Next years draft is a lot better than this years top to bottom and has McDavid and Eichel which appear to be franchise players. To sign enough free agents to not finish last would be quite silly. Finish last, hope NYI defer their pick to next year and they finish next to last. At worst we get pick 2 and 3 in the draft get one of McDavid or Eichel and the next best player in the draft. After next season the Sabres then sign a couple of free agents and make the playoffs in 2015-2016 season and go up from there.

Yeah I meant 2nds, lol. Sorry about that.

No worries. I think to your other point about why did Murray do it... It seems from the Murray interviews he did it because they got back those 2 2nd's with the Moulson trade, he thinks Deslauriers and Fasching are currently worth a 2nd round pick each, and finally he wanted to move some future picks for current prospects to help the rebuild move along. If they pan out than excellent.

I'll give Murray props for being active yesterday. Outside of Neuvirth, I have not heard of any of the players he targeted.

His resume is starting to fill out though:

Carrier

Stewart

Mitchell

Conacher

Fasching

Deslauriers

Neuvirth

Klesla

At least we will have something tangible to evaluate.

I generally agree, although I wouldn't include Klesla or Mitchell in that list. Klesla s a UFA after this year and both guys were salary dumps in their respective trades. The other 6 guys though are definitely the first batch of TM's guys. I'm looking forward to seeing how he did in choosing them.

In the past six days, the Sabres turned Moulson, Miller, Steve Ott, Brayden McNabb, Cody McCormick, two second-rounders, a third-round pick and the newly acquired Jaroslav Halak into Chris Stewart, Michal Neuvirth, Rostislav Klesla, prospects William Carrier, Hudson Fasching and Nicolas Deslauriers, Torrey Mitchell and three picks (a first and a pair of seconds). In the next two drafts, the Sabres have a staggering 10 picks in the first two rounds. This is coupled with a tremendous amount of cap flexibility going forward.

well done.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445398

...also, counting Carrier (2nd rounder last year), we had 6 1st/2nd round picks last year. We're adding a ton of guys to the system... hopefully some will turn into stars.

I've posted this elsewhere, but Murry isn't fumbling around like Darcy with a minor trade here-and-there. He is radically altering the team and its propsects. That is something we haven't seen around here since the Muckler days.

What Murray is gonna do like he said at the press conference is he wants to create competition at all positions. With all these picks coming up in the next two years there is no doubt this team will be stack plus u have all the picks from the last two drafts as well. I know people don't want to hear patience but we need another full year of being at the bottom to complete the overhaul.

I love this guy's way of communicating with the press, straightforward with good honest answers. I hope to see his lighter-side come out like it did more in the post-deadline conference. Best of all he shows passion, something DR rarely if ever showed. If Lafontaine and Murray had any problems, it would of have to of been on the fact they are both very passionate for what they feel is right.

Yes! The passion. "you know me I can't really enjoy things, I try to...". The fact that he's been on the road, still scouting. Mad scientist like. Obsessed. Love it.

Though Black on WGR said he needs to spend time with TN now (this week). Sounds like that will be his biggest challenge, the other responsibilities of the job (relationship with coach, etc). If he and TN build trust I'm very bullish on the future.

We'll let the Isles do our tanking for us ;)

I'm thinking the isles will try super hard in the off season to sign a few ufa just so Snow can keep his job.

Now he needs to lock up John Scott, and we're set.

Yeah, I know your kidding but I have to admit the guy is just lucky to be collecting an nhl paycheck.

The biggest thing I took away from his post deadline presser is the comment about not being afraid to make mistakes. If he likes what he sees in the return, he trusts his scouting/instinct and makes the deal. It sounded like he couldn't give two sh!ts if McNabb turns out great in LA, because he thinks Fasching and Delaurier will be worth it.

I think the fear of losing a trade or making a mistake prevented our previous team from making the kind of drastic moves that can truly change a roster. It may not work out, but GMTM certainly won't be afraid to try.

The biggest thing I took away from his post deadline presser is the comment about not being afraid to make mistakes. If he likes what he sees in the return, he trusts his scouting/instinct and makes the deal. It sounded like he couldn't give two sh!ts if McNabb turns out great in LA, because he thinks Fasching and Delaurier will be worth it.

I think the fear of losing a trade or making a mistake prevented our previous team from making the kind of drastic moves that can truly change a roster. It may not work out, but GMTM certainly won't be afraid to try.

You WANT the guys you trade away to do well if you are a GM. If all you do is try and win a trade, you end up not making many over the years and people don't want to deal with you. We've seen it. If you are fair with a team and give them value back without trying to kill them, they will be willing to work with you in the future. When the time comes that the Buffalo Sabres are a top contender, Murray will have the entire league and their rosters at his disposal to try and make deals with to put the Sabres over the top. It's an insecure thought process to want your old property to not do well.

That's fine as long as he gets his offensive touch back. Like Murray said he a complimentary player.

If I'm Murray I'm going one more year of the tank especially with McDavid sitting there plus who knows what the Islanders do with that 1st they traded us. We could possibly have 2 picks in the top 5. Not many teams ever get that. I think it could be a fast turn around if that happens.

Odds are pretty damn good that we get two of the top 5 picks either this year or next.

I have no opinion of TM yet, need to see more work.

From Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts:

9. Now that the Buffalo Sabres have collected prospects and draft picks, look for them to start building some professional blocks. GM Tim Murray said the team will begin conversations with potential restricted free agents Tyler Ennis and Marcus Foligno, gauging their interest in signing long-term.

10. Asked about other teams being interested in Tyler Myers, Murray said there was no offer remotely close enough to make him consider dealing either Myers or Christian Ehrhoff. The GM added the "cap recapture" possibilities at the end of Ehrhoff's contract (eg., a $10-million penalty if he retires with one year remaining) are a concern and affect trade scenarios.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.