If he's playing elsewhere he is, and if they're paying a portion of his salary it is reducing the overall cap advantage gained. Therefore reducing the penalty.

Maybe you're right, just a thought.

Here's the CBA section that refers to that. I'll leave it to the legal minds around here to interpret that, but I get the impression that retaining salary would only serve to actually increase the amount of recapture (depending on the structure of the contract of course).

All Retained Salary obligations created by a Retained Salary

Transaction (with respect to Averaged Amount and Salary and

Bonus) shall apply to any Cap Advantage Recapture amounts

applicable to a Retained Salary SPC (e.g., if Club A agrees to

retain thirty (30) percent of a Player's Averaged Amount as part of

a Trade to Club B and such Player has a Cap Advantage Recapture

of $5 million due to years spent with Club B, Club A shall be

responsible for $1.5 million of Club B's Cap Advantage Recapture

of $5 million.)

Think of it this way:

Our cap advantage on his contract is $10M (His salary was $6M above his cap hit ($4M) in '11-'12, $4M above in '12-'13, and they are even now)

If he plays out his contract here, we pay that $10M back in the last 4 years of the contract. In '17-'18 we pay him $3M, so we "pay back" $1M of the cap advantage. Each of the final 3 years, we pay him $1M so we pay back $3M per year.

If he retires at any point before that payback is complete, we have to pay whatever cap advantage we still owe, over however many years are left on the contract. The worst case scenario, he retires in the 2018 off-season, we end up with a $3M recapture penalty for 3 years. For reference, the league minimum salary by then will probably be around $1M and the cap will likely be well over $100M. There is no situation where our recapture penalty is greater than $3M if we don't trade him.

In other words, Erhoff is not a recapture nightmare contract if we keep him.

Now, if we trade him, and retain max salary, now we're eating cap hit starting immediately (around $1.3M per year, every year he stays in the league) and not getting full advantage payback when he plays the final 4 years of the contract. In this scenario, if he were to retire before the final year of the contract we would owe a $7.7M, one year recapture penalty. This after we've already penalized ourselves for half a decade paying $1.3M/yr in retained salary/caphit.

If we trade him without retaining salary we would automatically owe a $10M recapture penalty spread out over however many seasons he has remaining. If he retires in the summer of 2020, we owe a $10M recapture penalty for the 2020-2021 season. Which would be deadly, even with a $100M cap.

Ehrhoff will not be traded for the above reasons, and he will not be bought out, because as long as he stays here, the recapture penalties aren't that bad.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

If we buy him out though, doesn't the recapture disappear?

Yes. They only question is why? He is a good-not-great player being paid right in line with his talent/production. He's an asset with no reason to buy him out. He's only 31. Lots of good $4M seasons left in him.

Yes. They only question is why? He is a good-not-great player being paid right in line with his talent/production. He's an asset with no reason to buy him out. He's only 31. Lots of good $4M seasons left in him.

He's not going to play out this contract. I can't see him sticking around for those last 3 years at $1 million per. It all comes down to whether or not they think that $3 million in dead space will be worth it at that point.

He's not going to play out this contract. I can't see him sticking around for those last 3 years at $1 million per. It all comes down to whether or not they think that $3 million in dead space will be worth it at that point.

Or, if they think we'll be in contention and he'll play be playing for the cup.

At this point, I think you almost have to be thinking that way.

Or, if they think we'll be in contention and he'll play be playing for the cup.

At this point, I think you almost have to be thinking that way.

It's also right at the time where we will probably be looking at extensions for a lot of these young guys, especially this and next year's first round picks. If these guys live up to the hype, they may very well need every penny they can get.

But I still don't think he'll be willing to play for $1 million. I think to Kiprusoff right away. He had the chance to be traded away to a winner but instead retired and walked away from that tiny contract. I really don't think it comes down to winning for most at that point when you have a contract so far below your true value.

The reason for buying him out isn't related to recapture penalty if we hang on to him, it is related to his less than full desire to be here during the learning process for the young players.

My $0.02 anyway.

Inside the NHL / Murray sees no change coming in lottery

What Murray isn’t preparing for is a change to the lottery system.

The 2015 draft will be top heavy with franchise forwards Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel, and rumors recently flew that the NHL would take significant steps to discourage tanking next season. Reports suggested the league might use a lottery process for the first five picks, or it would base the lottery odds on teams’ performances over the last three to five seasons.

Since the Sabres are expected to be near the bottom again next year, fans didn’t take kindly to the proposed changes. Murray doesn’t expect any changes, based on his talks around the league.

“We’ve all heard that talk of the five-team, five-year rotation, things like that, but there’s been really no appetite to do that,” Murray said. “They don’t think there’s any appetite right now to change it. I believe if there is an appetite to change it, if they’re going to make a drastic change, it has to be something like three to five years out so it doesn’t affect somebody that’s in that position now.

“From what I understand, they’re not worried about tanking for McDavid and Eichel.”

As for this year’s draft, Murray said there are four players in the conversation to be drafted at the top. The GM will meet with the scouting department in May to determine who should head the Sabres’ list.

Number four is definitely Draisaitl.

He has been compared to Kopitar and is the only big, powerful first-line centre available.

I would not be surprised to see him as our top pick.

Well when Murray was talking about him, he was very specific that he might be the best offensive zone player in the draft. That tells me there's defensive issues, which doesn't exactly scream Anze Kopitar. I'd be very surprised if we took him #1.

Well when Murray was talking about him, he was very specific that he might be the best offensive zone player in the draft. That tells me there's defensive issues, which doesn't exactly scream Anze Kopitar. I'd be very surprised if we took him #1.

<crosses fingers>

Is Rob Murphy joining Murray as an Asst GM?

52ad629f7b54362195c9fb996da1a009_normal.pngDefenseMinister @DefenseMinister · 41m ago

What I've heard re: Sens front office moves, scout Rob Murphy is probably headed to Sabres this summer to be with Tim, will get promotion.

RETWEETED 39M AGO

52ad629f7b54362195c9fb996da1a009_normal.pngDefenseMinister @DefenseMinister · 40m ago

It's believed Tim was trying to have Murphy come with him at the time of his hire but Sens fought it. Surprise, surprise: looking for comp.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Garrioch: Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray ‘open for business’ when it comes to dealing players

Tim Murray will be a busy man in the off-season. He’s willing to play Let’s Make a Deal just about anybody.

The Buffalo Sabres’ GM has hung the ‘For Sale’ sign outside the club’s office and he’s willing to move just about anybody as the off-season officially gets underway Monday for non-playoff teams.

Sources say Murray has been shopping RW Chris Stewart, D Christian Erhoff, C Luke Adam and RW Drew Stafford.

It doesn’t stop there, either. The Sabres will also listen to see what they can get for LW Marcus Foligno, LW Johan Larsson and D Chad Ruhwedel.

The last three are young players that are still considered prospects so it’s a little surprising Murray would be willing to move any of those guys given the club’s current state and direction.

“He’s just open for business,” said a league executive about Murray before the weekend. “He hasn’t drafted any of these current guys.”

Murray was amongst the NHL’s busiest GMs at the deadline by dealing goalie Ryan Miller and captain Steve Ott. The Sabres aren’t done by any stretch and are moving into the next rebuild phase.

Time to wipe the dog-doo that is the Sabres organization off the sneakers, but the stench will linger. The Sabres used to be a smart, small market team but have been very dumb, especially when the new owner arrived. Maybe Murray can fix that but with Uncle Terry and his minions pulling the strings, I highly doubt it. I'm also nervous to think about who Ted Nolan (who has "free reign") is going to bring in next year too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.