Funny you say that, I was just thinking that could be possible as well to avoid the potential $10MM cap hit down the road.

When Murray spoke about the risk involved with moving Ehrhoff at the deadline (if he retires before the deal runs its course) my first thought was, he's a buyout candidate. I really believe Ehrhoff would have been gone at the deadline if it weren't for the risk of him retiring early. I'm more convinced now than ever that we will use our two buyouts this offseason, one on Ehrhoff and the other on Leino.

I really don't see why Ehrhoff would be bought out or restructured (even if they could). As of right now, he has a great contract. And if he wants to be a part of the rebuild, he's a great asset moving forward.

Murray specifically mentioned those three. Glad to hear Myers is on the list.

Ehrhoff has not played at all like he wants to be here. I can't see Murray keeping him around when he's playing uninspired in front of all those kids.

I really don't see why Ehrhoff would be bought out or restructured (even if they could). As of right now, he has a great contract. And if he wants to be a part of the rebuild, he's a great asset moving forward.

Murray specifically mentioned those three. Glad to hear Myers is on the list.

Did he say that on XM, GR, or both?

Agreed on Myers.

When Murray spoke about the risk involved with moving Ehrhoff at the deadline (if he retires before the deal runs its course) my first thought was, he's a buyout candidate. I really believe Ehrhoff would have been gone at the deadline if it weren't for the risk of him retiring early. I'm more convinced now than ever that we will use our two buyouts this offseason, one on Ehrhoff and the other on Leino.

Ehrhoff has not played at all like he wants to be here. I can't see Murray keeping him around when he's playing uninspired in front of all those kids.

Which is why I thought he could be an unmovable piece. Turns out, he's most likely an unkeepable piece.

Quite a statement by the GM. Just where is he going to find all the people to fill out the roster?

Well, there's 24 skaters w/ the big club today. If only 10 of them are gone, they only need 7 new bodies and Pysyk would likely be 1 of them.

I was asking about 6 because those would likely be the new 'core.' (Man, am I sick of that term.)

Buying out Ehrhoff just doesn't make sense, unless it is tied to some convoluted way to circumventing the cap clawback, and is, in essence, a trade. He's a good player on a good cap hit.

As for the three untouchables that's a tough one. It's not clear if they are talking about players on the team right now, or not.

I don't have any untouchables, but my picks would be Risto, Zads and Girgs. On the team, it would be Myers, Girgs and..?

I do expect half the team gone, but I expect he was talking veterans. The other half doesn't include guys like Risto or Larsson, who have barely played for Murray.

Stafford, Girgensons, Stewart, Foligno, Ennis, Hodgson, Myers, Ehrhoff, Neuvirth and Enroth (pending trades) are the only veteran players on the roster capable of playing above the bottom six.

Which leaves five defence and seven forward spots to fill, most of which should be kids and/or fresh faces.

God knows it's needed.

Tim Murray on the top 5 NA Prospects

Aaron Ekblad

"At the end of the day could become a frachise defenseman. He may be a solid, very solid 2way defensemen who plays a lot of minutes. I'm not sure if he has the dynamic kind of pace to him to be a franchise player but he's going to be a hell of a player."

Leon Draisaitl

"Big strong center iceman. Tremendous offensive zone player. Great hockey sense, great vision. Protects the puck real well, sticks his @ss out, guys roll off him, he knows where they are without looking at them."

Sam Reinhart

"Tremendous vision. He's the smartest player on the ice in every game I see him play. I don't know if that says a lot playing other guys his own age or a little older then him but he's extremely smart. Does everything for the most part right. Tremendous vision and passes the puck unbelievably well.

Michael Dal Colle

"Probably has the best release we've seen in a long time. Can really shoot the puck, needs a centerman to get him the puck. He's going to score goals at the national hockey league level.

Sam Bennett

"Has a lot of what the other two guys, centermen have and he's tenacious. He's a bulldog. He's on you, he will hit you, he will spear you, he will score on you, he will do what it takes to win."

Tim Murray on how important is position.

"If we go into our meetings and as a group Ekblad is the #1 player, he will be the #1 player. I am a firm believer in best player available but you also decide who the best player available is. There are all kinds of ways to come to that."

He doesn't sound interested in Ekblad.

Buying out Ehrhoff just doesn't make sense, unless it is tied to some convoluted way to circumventing the cap clawback, and is, in essence, a trade. He's a good player on a good cap hit.

He's a good player with a good cap hit putting in a half assed effort.

Leino is a gimme, but that is some perceptive stuff on Ehrhoff. As I said above it seems like the waste of an asset, but Murray also said he didn't want any players that don't want to be here. Ehrhoff may have indicated he doesn't.

I could see him deciding a buyout is the only safe path.

CBA experts, can we let him negotiate a deal with another team, then buy him out on the condition he signs with that team and that team sends us an asset in exchange? I realize it's against the spirit of the CBA, but it's Tim's job to find loopholes.

Edited by dudacek

There is no way to rework the deal outside of buying him out and signing a new deal.

Thanks for the info. So does that apply to extending deals? Normally, you tear up the prior paper and roll it into the new contract.

Ehrhoff has not played at all like he wants to be here.

Agree fully with that. For a supposed $10 million player, he doesn't make enough good plays...he makes weak passes and takes bad shots from the point. He seems demoralized.

As for the three untouchables that's a tough one. It's not clear if they are talking about players on the team right now, or not.

I don't have any untouchables, but my picks would be Risto, Zads and Girgs. On the team, it would be Myers, Girgs and..?

I do expect half the team gone, but I expect he was talking veterans. The other half doesn't include guys like Risto or Larsson, who have barely played for Murray.

Stafford, Girgensons, Stewart, Foligno, Ennis, Hodgson, Myers, Ehrhoff, Neuvirth and Enroth (pending trades) are the only veteran players on the roster capable of playing above the bottom six.

Which leaves five defence and seven forward spots to fill, most of which should be kids and/or fresh faces.

God knows it's needed.

I agree with all of this.

Regarding Ehrhoff, while he seems to be in the run-for-the-bus group, he is hardly the only one. More importantly, he's a good player on a team with very few of them, and an asset that I would not expect them to give away for nothing. So while I would not be at all surprised if he were traded, I would be pretty surprised with a buyout.

As for the 3 untouchables, I would guess that he was referring to NHL roster guys, and that the 3 are Myers, Zemgus and Ennis (or perhaps Foligno instead of Ennis).

I agree with all of this.

Regarding Ehrhoff, while he seems to be in the run-for-the-bus group, he is hardly the only one. More importantly, he's a good player on a team with very few of them, and an asset that I would not expect them to give away for nothing. So while I would not be at all surprised if he were traded, I would be pretty surprised with a buyout.

As for the 3 untouchables, I would guess that he was referring to NHL roster guys, and that the 3 are Myers, Zemgus and Ennis (or perhaps Foligno instead of Ennis).

I would say Neuvirth, Myers, Girgensons.

So while I would not be at all surprised if he were traded, I would be pretty surprised with a buyout.

TM already addressed trading him. They really can't because of the risk of him retiring before his contract ends. Should he retire we'd be hit with a hefty cap hit right around the time we hope to be gunning for a long playoff run., He's either a keeper or a buyout candidate.

Ehrhoff will be bought out this offseason.

You heard it here first.

Lol it has been mentioned many times that this will happen. So you're not the first or the last to suggest it. But hey, get over yourself!

And yes, I've been waiting to say that to you :=)

Personally at first I laughed. Now I want it to happen because I see Erhoff as aloof a lot of times. But then again, if he is a bottom three d man he is probably just fine. But here and now he is obviously positioned higher than that and that may be MY problem with him. Feed him less minutes, make him a second PP guy and he may very well be worth his price. And with the length of his contract it won't take that long to position him in the proper role. Maybe as early as next season actually.

Myers and possibly Risto and Zadorov as early as next year already ahead of him. If not just add one year and add Jake to that mix as well. Maybe not next year but the year after he will be ready. Erhoff is really frustrating me lately and I don't know if it's bonehead plays or my expectations of him, but his constant gaffes and lack of size/physical ability make me weary mor and more each day of him.

starting to think Myers is too fragile to be an untouchable.

Lol it has been mentioned many times that this will happen. So you're not the first or the last to suggest it. But hey, get over yourself!

And yes, I've been waiting to say that to you :=)

Personally at first I laughed. Now I want it to happen because I see Erhoff as aloof a lot of times. But then again, if he is a bottom three d man he is probably just fine. But here and now he is obviously positioned higher than that and that may be MY problem with him. Feed him less minutes, make him a second PP guy and he may very well be worth his price. And with the length of his contract it won't take that long to position him in the proper role. Maybe as early as next season actually.

Myers and possibly Risto and Zadorov as early as next year already ahead of him. If not just add one year and add Jake to that mix as well. Maybe not next year but the year after he will be ready. Erhoff is really frustrating me lately and I don't know if it's bonehead plays or my expectations of him, but his constant gaffes and lack of size/physical ability make me weary mor and more each day of him.

I thought he handled Jagr quite well tonight. At times he seemed to be bating Jagr to go one way and then just shut him down. The other Dmen seemed like they couldn't figure him out, but the Hoff had Jagr's number tonight.

I thought he handled Jagr quite well tonight. At times he seemed to be bating Jagr to go one way and then just shut him down. The other Dmen seemed like they couldn't figure him out, but the Hoff had Jagr's number tonight.

I will give you that. He did a good job containing Jagr tonight.

starting to think Myers is too fragile to be an untouchable.

I don't know for sure, but I think if you ran full speed (on skates) into an iron post you wouldn't be able to play some games afterwards as well. Just a guess, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.