I agree with all of this.

Regarding Ehrhoff, while he seems to be in the run-for-the-bus group, he is hardly the only one. More importantly, he's a good player on a team with very few of them, and an asset that I would not expect them to give away for nothing. So while I would not be at all surprised if he were traded, I would be pretty surprised with a buyout.

As for the 3 untouchables, I would guess that he was referring to NHL roster guys, and that the 3 are Myers, Zemgus and Ennis (or perhaps Foligno instead of Ennis).

Myers, Risto and Girgensons are the untouchables.

Murray specifically mentioned those three. Glad to hear Myers is on the list.

I will give you that. He did a good job containing Jagr tonight.

Did you notice a few times that Hoff actually seemed to lean one way, inducing Jagr to go the other way, then was very quick to close him off? I saw him do it at least three times. I think he knows Jagr's tendencies and gave him certain looks know which way Jagr would go, then quickly adjusted back to the hole he'd created.

Who knows... maybe he's a silent partner in Tank Nation, protecting his long term health during what's obviously a bust season. Let's see how he plays when it matters.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Tim Murray on the top 5 NA Prospects

Aaron Ekblad

"At the end of the day could become a frachise defenseman. He may be a solid, very solid 2way defensemen who plays a lot of minutes. I'm not sure if he has the dynamic kind of pace to him to be a franchise player but he's going to be a hell of a player."

Leon Draisaitl

"Big strong center iceman. Tremendous offensive zone player. Great hockey sense, great vision. Protects the puck real well, sticks his @ss out, guys roll off him, he knows where they are without looking at them."

Sam Reinhart

"Tremendous vision. He's the smartest player on the ice in every game I see him play. I don't know if that says a lot playing other guys his own age or a little older then him but he's extremely smart. Does everything for the most part right. Tremendous vision and passes the puck unbelievably well.

Michael Dal Colle

"Probably has the best release we've seen in a long time. Can really shoot the puck, needs a centerman to get him the puck. He's going to score goals at the national hockey league level.

Sam Bennett

"Has a lot of what the other two guys, centermen have and he's tenacious. He's a bulldog. He's on you, he will hit you, he will spear you, he will score on you, he will do what it takes to win."

Tim Murray on how important is position.

"If we go into our meetings and as a group Ekblad is the #1 player, he will be the #1 player. I am a firm believer in best player available but you also decide who the best player available is. There are all kinds of ways to come to that."

You had me at "Big strong center iceman".

Maybe he can trade down to 3 or 4 and pick up a middling top 6 forward and a future 1st?

Intriguing. Generally I like using a high pick to take the guy you want, even if it's reaching a couple of picks. BUT, if trading down a couple of picks still gets us a great player AND another spin at the Connor McDavid roulette wheel next year or another pick in that "better" draft, that doesn't immediately sound like a bad opportunity.

Ah, but who leverages a first in next year's draft to move up a couple of spots in this year's draft? Who does that?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Intriguing. Generally I like using a high pick to take the guy you want, even if it's reaching a couple of picks. BUT, if trading down a couple of picks still gets us a great player AND another spin at the Connor McDavid roulette wheel next year or another pick in that "better" draft, that doesn't immediately sound like a bad opportunity.

Ah, but who leverages a first in next year's draft to move up a couple of spots in this year's draft? Who does that?

Oilers and islanders have the right GM's for it :D

Say Edmonton is at 3 and Buffalo 1. If they want the Dman, maybe you do something like #1, a 2nd, and Foligno for #3, Gagner, and their 2016 1st.....

I'm somewhat surprised nobody has discussed the analytics stuff at the end of the interview. Could be confirmation bias taking, but sure sounded to me like Murray thinks they have value...and more importantly, did a nice job outlining how they should be used.

Regarding Ehrhoff, if they buy him our that's a major strike against Murray in my book. This is a top pairing Dman whose game is one that should age very well. I think buying him out just because he's unhappy with the current team would be very short sighted.

I'm somewhat surprised nobody has discussed the analytics stuff at the end of the interview. Could be confirmation bias taking, but sure sounded to me like Murray thinks they have value...and more importantly, did a nice job outlining how they should be used.

Regarding Ehrhoff, if they buy him our that's a major strike against Murray in my book. This is a top pairing Dman whose game is one that should age very well. I think buying him out just because he's unhappy with the current team would be very short sighted.

Schopp has been talking about the analytics bit.

I caught TM's comments re: analytics. They sounded to me like he sees value in it.

I caught TM's comments re: analytics. They sounded to me like he sees value in it.

IIRC from his other interviews, he won't dismiss analytics because he likes receiving as much feed back as possible from his coworkers, but he places more emphasis on conventional scouting than saber-metrics.

IIRC from his other interviews, he won't dismiss analytics because he likes receiving as much feed back as possible from his coworkers, but he places more emphasis on conventional scouting than saber-metrics.

If I remember correctly, what he said was, you evaluate a player with your eyes and see if the data matches what you think you saw, and it usually does. But sometimes it doesn't and when it doesn't you talk about it among the group doing the evaluations. He said there are times where good numbers mislead lead you, but that it wasn't often. Then he said he didn't want to get into further depth on his theories about it. Basically he seems to be using it for confirmation of what his eyes are telling him.

If I remember correctly, what he said was, you evaluate a player with your eyes and see if the data matches what you think you saw, and it usually does. But sometimes it doesn't and when it doesn't you talk about it among the group doing the evaluations. He said there are times where good numbers mislead lead you, but that it wasn't often. Then he said he didn't want to get into further depth on his theories about it. Basically he seems to be using it for confirmation of what his eyes are telling him.

Agreed.

When he had his first interview on WGR, with the morning show people, White asked him about analytics. TM said advanced stats were useful, and that the less you know about the art of evaluating a player's hockey sense from watching the player, the more useful analytics is.

To me, that implied the view that, if you're a blogosphere fan without NHL scouting chops, analytics can be very useful, and if you're a 25-year NHL scout who's logged 1000s of hours of scouting time, analytics is less useful (but still useful).

So, as you say, he seems to use the numbers to confirm more traditional observations. To the extent the numbers don't square with a traditional assessment (not clear how often they do, in his mind), it's a point of discussion.

TM already addressed trading him. They really can't because of the risk of him retiring before his contract ends. Should he retire we'd be hit with a hefty cap hit right around the time we hope to be gunning for a long playoff run., He's either a keeper or a buyout candidate.

After the season they'll have the ability to retain salary in trades, retaining some of Ehrhoff's potentially could reduce the cap hit if the recapture penalty were to come into play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.