Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

FWIW, he was not talking about us.

TBD? (But does he write about football?)

He is a pure hypocrite. Next week he'll be tossing out the personal attacks and name-calling to anybody that questions him on Twitter. I'm so glad I stopped following him.

He doesn't do too much of that. Or maybe I just don't catch it.

You don't create a position like team president for one guy.

Why not?

It's a major strategic decision.

Sez you. It may have been a tactical level decision just to get PLF on the payroll since Patty didn't want to be GM. Make up a title just for him, to give him the room he needed to do what he had to do. It may have always been a "special consultant" kind of position that was never going to be refilled once PLF resigned. On the other hand, maybe they thought he would last a while in the position so they gave him a lofty title.

But I don't see creating that position just for him a violation of any sacred rule of business, especially a business as full of exceptions as hockey.

TBD? (But does he write about football?)

He doesn't do too much of that. Or maybe I just don't catch it.

I stopped following him last April. He may have toned it down since then. It was the reason I stopped following him though.

Black confirmed on WGR this morning that they created the position of president for Pat. They are, indeed, making it up as they go.

Why not?

Sez you. It may have been a tactical level decision just to get PLF on the payroll since Patty didn't want to be GM. Make up a title just for him, to give him the room he needed to do what he had to do. It may have always been a "special consultant" kind of position that was never going to be refilled once PLF resigned. On the other hand, maybe they thought he would last a while in the position so they gave him a lofty title.

But I don't see creating that position just for him a violation of any sacred rule of business, especially a business as full of exceptions as hockey.

It was announced at PLF's introductory press conference that the position was created solely for PLF. TP appreciated Patty's honesty about his readiness for the GM position so TP created a new position for him. You do that for guys of PLF's stature after they spent time on your yacht talking about your team's direction.

GO SABRES!!!

It was announced at PLF's introductory press conference that the position was created solely for PLF. TP appreciated Patty's honesty about his readiness for the GM position so TP created a new position for him. You do that for guys of PLF's stature after they spent time on your yacht talking about your team's direction.

GO SABRES!!!

A position created specifically for LaFontaine really makes it sound like he was intended to be a figurehead.

Got it.

Also, which one of you folks is responsible for this:

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington 9m

People point out a certain message board 2 me from time to time and it's astounding the things alleged adults write. Your families are proud

What a bozo he is.

I think one of his tweets today started with "I was right."

News flash: if you're right about something, you don't need to point it out to other people. Let them figure it out and then you might develop some credibility.

I've said it many times, but it bears repeating: There is no person in the world whom I don't know personally that I dislike as much as Mike Harrington. I no longer read anything he writes, at least not willingly (sometimes he'll end up retweeted in my newsfeed by the BN or Vogl--I like to think that they've had to support him that way because there's a cadre of people who have unfollowed him). This has inconvenienced me sometimes, as there is content that he reports about the team that I don't see/learn in a timely manner. Whatever.

Edited by SDS
Inappropriate

I wonder if the driving force behind Ted Nolan's hesitancy to sign - is wait and see how GMTM's first draft goes? Right now, other than a paycheck, what coach who wants to win, would want to coach the gutted line up that's on the ice?

How would you feel if you know you are suppose to coach a team that is tanking it next year?

Makes sense. Does it bring into question who really hired Tim Murray and Craig Patrick?

I think his connections, expertise along with his stature were used sort of like a consultant. Just a guess. He probably left over the fact they plan on tanking it next year and he didnt want any part of that

I think his connections, expertise along with his stature were used sort of like a consultant. Just a guess. He probably left over the fact they plan on tanking it next year and he didnt want any part of that

likely the most logical and underrated explanation of all of this.

How would you feel if you know you are suppose to coach a team that is tanking it next year?

Now that the dust has settled a bit after the departure of PLF, it seems like a probable reason why he isn't anxious to sign. Or maybe he's waiting to see if there's some hope for the future, or if it's just gonna be more of the same cycle of fail as before?

Makes sense. Does it bring into question who really hired Tim Murray and Craig Patrick?

I had an interesting theory floated my way yesterday, by a Bruins fan, of all people. He said he thought maybe the league (Bettman) was seeing the clusterfluge taking place in Buffalo and sent PLF here as a cleaner (think Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction). Once everything was in place, they used the convenient excuse of the Miller trade to extract him and send him back to the NHL mothership.

I don't know if I buy it, but it's at least thoughtful and interesting.

I had an interesting theory floated my way yesterday, by a Bruins fan, of all people. He said he thought maybe the league (Bettman) was seeing the clusterfluge taking place in Buffalo and sent PLF here as a cleaner (think Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction). Once everything was in place, they used the convenient excuse of the Miller trade to extract him and send him back to the NHL mothership.

Pat left because pegulas boys had as much say in hockey decisions as he did and when he told Pegula to get his boys out pegs said nope.

Tim Murray just ignores them because he knows black and battista know less than him.

I've said it many times, but it bears repeating: There is no person in the world whom I don't know personally that I dislike as much as Mike Harrington. I no longer read anything he writes, at least not willingly (sometimes he'll end up retweeted in my newsfeed by the BN or Vogl--I like to think that they've had to support him that way because there's a cadre of people who have unfollowed him). This has inconvenienced me sometimes, as there is content that he reports about the team that I don't see/learn in a timely manner. Whatever.

We didn't really need to go there.

A position created specifically for LaFontaine really makes it sound like he was intended to be a figurehead.

I disagree. A position created for PLF makes it sound like TP really valued his potential contributions to the organization and seeing as how Patty turned down the GM job and TP was determined to have him on board, it makes perfect sense.

The very nature of PLF's stature in the game of hockey almost makes him a figurehead by default.

GO SABRES!!!

Patty is Mr. Wolf.

GO SABRES!!!

You figured that out, but PLF didn't. Once GMTM was hired PLF was shocked, shocked I say, that his role diminished. So he took his ball and went home.

I'm okay with that really, if that's how it went down. The Sabres needed a stabilizing influence, a fan favorite that would placate the fan base, and someone who could find the next GM. PLF was entirely successful at that, or so it appears at this point. I'd much rather that, once he realized he had no further duties of any significance, he decided to leave instead of staying on and trying to influence Murray. Now *that* would have been dysfunctional. The professional thing to do was to leave and let GMTM get on with the rebuild.

We didn't really need to go there.

It's your playground, Scott, and I'm sorry if you feel I crossed a line. But, dammit, that is how I feel.

EDIT: Ha. Or at least it was how I felt until my characterizations of Harrington were deleted by an admin.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Black confirmed on WGR this morning that they created the position of president for Pat. They are, indeed, making it up as they go.

Or,

they demonstrated the flexibility and agility requried to address the challenges presented by an organizational restructuring to better position themselves for sustainable success.

It's all a matter of perpective...

It's your playground, Scott, and I'm sorry if you feel I crossed a line. But, dammit, that is how I feel.

EDIT: Ha. Or at least it was how I felt until my characterizations of Harrington were deleted by an admin.

I just don't want to go down the road you went. He's just a columnist and it's just a game.

http://www.trendingb...ines-departure/

Anyone post this yet?

Summary?

No way I'm listening for 19 min.

It's impossible for me to believe that the concept of tanking for next year was not discussed ad nauseum during the GM hiring, was one of the biggest questions, and that PLF didn't know Murray's entire viewpoint of the concept before he hired him.

I don't know, it could have been something they arrived at later, but who knows. I'm still kind of struck they admitted that is what they are doing

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.