Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

You're saying this based solely on this thread, without listening to the interview?

Et tu, Brutus?

I know, I know -- but It's not just this thread.

To be clear, I think the main driver on PLF's departure was his personality and the inability of others (including Pegula) to abide it.

But I would bet that PLF would've included in his grievances the fact that Battista was encroaching on the hockey side of the house. Remember that Tweet I linked from JoeBa about how he liked the look of the future of the Sabres D? The one where he included the name of one Chad Rooweedel [sic]?

Lots of head scratching over Batista.

My take: He's a generalist. Learning the organization and waiting for a Harbor Center. Just happy to be here.

He'll be much more about organizing the bottom of the organization rather than the top.

I do think this is all correct. He may publicly comment on hockey stuff, but that does not mean that he's got any role or say in it.

Other than calling on the I.T. guy to suit up as a backup goalie.

I do think this is all correct. He may publicly comment on hockey stuff, but that does not mean that he's got any role or say in it.

Do we take people at their word? According to Joe, he's not "learning" the organization, he was brought in to restructure it and put management pieces in place. Given that he described himself as V.P. of hockey operations (and not hockey-related businesses), it's reasonable to assume he stepped on the actual president's toes — and won the pissing contest. He's on HH. He had a speaking part on the deadline day Blue and Gold episode. He's telling Nolan not to dress Miller.

Smoke, meet fire.

No worries, though. The longtime club coach and Pegula buddy could very well do a bang up job in the big leagues. It doesn't mean operating your NHL franchise like a rerun of Teenie Talent Time is the right way to go about winning a Cup.

Do we take people at their word? According to Joe, he's not "learning" the organization, he was brought in to restructure it and put management pieces in place. Given that he described himself as V.P. of hockey operations (and not hockey-related businesses), it's reasonable to assume he stepped on the actual president's toes — and won the pissing contest. He's on HH. He had a speaking part on the deadline day Blue and Gold episode. He's telling Nolan not to dress Miller.

Smoke, meet fire.

No worries, though. The longtime club coach and Pegula buddy could very well do a bang up job in the big leagues. It doesn't mean operating your NHL franchise like a rerun of Teenie Talent Time is the right way to go about winning a Cup.

If they get in the way of Tim Murray doing his job then we need to be concerned but if Battista says hey Pegs wants Callahan do what it takes and Murray just says nope, well then I am not that worried. If Timmy gets forced or brow beaten into something like that then I say we sharpen pitchforks and get some torches.

If they get in the way of Tim Murray doing his job then we need to be concerned but if Battista says hey Pegs wants Callahan do what it takes and Murray just says nope, well then I am not that worried. If Timmy gets forced or brow beaten into something like that then I say we sharpen pitchforks and get some torches.

Yeah, I think we need to save our outrage for when it's needed. If GMTM gets pressured or pushed into doing things he disagrees with, or ends up leaving the organization early, then let it fly.

Smoke, meet fire.

He says in the interview....(not looking up exact) "I think you need players that are hard workers and have some grit and are team players. IT'S MY JOB TO FIND THOSE PLAYERS AND THE JOB OF MY HOCKEY OPERATIONS DEPARTMENT!!!!!!!!!"

He also said point blank Terry brought him here to look at things at the top and bring in the right people. Then he pumped up Murray.

I still don't think Battista had the goal in mind to screw Lafontaine over. I think he probably honestly admired Patty and got his kicks by hanging with him. Lafontaine probably just saw the whole show for the amateur hour that it is, told Murray, "Good luck buddy", and went home one last time and made 4 martinis.

I just hope if Murray shows to be a success...he isn't out of here on the first flight to a higher profile, more efficient city. He finally sounded like a Sabre at the end of the season press conference, so that is encouraging.

As long as Battista clearly realizes that his department is subordinate to GMTM, and that his responsibility is to find talent to feed the leads to GMTM for further evaluation/disposition, I'm fine with the above. But if he starts making decisions, or "going to Terry" because he doesn't like what GMTM decides about a prospect, well that would be real trouble right there.

Hope that doesn't happen.

It seemed to me from the interview that much of what Battista will be focused on, is as liaison between the Sabres organization and college hockey, and trying to identify young and upcoming talent early. That would be a good thing, as long as he doesn't butt heads with GMTM.

If you can only listen to 3 minutes....listen from 5:00-6:30 and from 11:00-13:00

He also mentions that the Ice Arena came in under budget.......which is nice. I guess when Terry bumped the donation to $100 million it will allow that to go to other areas of the athletic department?

In that second part - 11:00 to 13:00 - I felt like he almost took credit for GMTM being hired. I also got the distinct impression that GMTM isn't his boss - that he's Terry's "guy", and that Battista is supposed to be the guy who gets things turned around for "Terry".

That could make for a bad dynamic in the office. In terms of building the on-ice product, the chain of command should be GM>>>everybody else. Emphasis on the word "Could". We'll see how it plays out.

I should look at how other successful franchises like Chicago, Boston, Detroit, etc, are structured internally. Do they have their own Battistas floating around, overlapping the GM's role?

Edited by Jsixspd

If you can only listen to 3 minutes....listen from 5:00-6:30 and from 11:00-13:00

Thanks for the direction as to where to focus my attention.

This guy is bad news, IMO.

Direct ties to Penn State athletics and fundraising ... yuck. Slime ball.

Mark my words, I will be very surprised if our GM is still around for the 2015 draft.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I wished Sylvester had asked him exactly what his relationship with GMTM is. Is he subordinate to GMTM, or is he independent? Is GMTM's the final word on personnel decisions or does Battista have a vote/say in what's done?

I wished Sylvester had asked him exactly what his relationship with GMTM is. Is he subordinate to GMTM, or is he independent? Is GMTM's the final word on personnel decisions or does Battista have a vote/say in what's done?

Sylvester needs to buy that fancy new $400 driver in time for the good weather.....he ain't touching on anything that's going to shut the direct deposit down....

Thanks for the direction as to where to focus my attention.

Mark my words, I will be very surprised if our GM is still around for the 2015 draft.

No problem.

It isn't Battista himself that scares me. I don't think he has bad intentions. He just wants to feel part of being "one of the boys". It's that the true hockey guys have Pegula's favored son roaming around. It is going to shut down honest communication and turn things political. If you are a scout and think Battista is full of it, and you want to go to bat for something that goes against him....is he going to go to Terry and rat on the guy? Tim Murray can like the guy, Battista can get butthurt from this guy taking him on.....and then where do things end?

I've said it before.....some people get into horseracing so they can go into the winner's circle and take a picture. Some do it because they enjoy the puzzle and finding hidden gems and couldn't care less about notoriety. Murray seems like the latter.

Battista sounds every bit like a development guy -- a guy who's very, very skilled at ingratiating himself to those in power.

Yeah, I think we need to save our outrage for when it's needed. If GMTM gets pressured or pushed into doing things he disagrees with, or ends up leaving the organization early, then let it fly.

That's where I'm at.

I will agree that he does not sound like good news. Whether he's actually bad news, I hold out some hope that he's just boppin' around, happy to be there, and not doing any harm,

It isn't Battista himself that scares me. I don't think he has bad intentions. He just wants to feel part of being "one of the boys". It's that the true hockey guys have Pegula's favored son roaming around. It is going to shut down honest communication and turn things political. If you are a scout and think Battista is full of it, and you want to go to bat for something that goes against him....is he going to go to Terry and rat on the guy? Tim Murray can like the guy, Battista can get butthurt from this guy taking him on.....and then where do things end?

This is a very well-stated and well-founded concern. Imagine Battista stumping like hell prior to a draft for some NCAA guy whom he saw undress Penn State, and there's a scout responsible for the WHL (or whatever) who's stumping for a guy from the Kootenay whoevers. Both players have about the same GMTM "value" -- how's that turn out?

Hmmm.

EDIT: One last thought. When he spoke about GMTM, he seemed duly deferential to what TM was going to do, what TM was going to be doing.

EDIT: One last, last thought: My take on him is encapsulated in his memory of leading a pep rally in front of 30,000 people at the Rose Bowl -- "... I told my brother, that's the closest I'll come to being a rock star!" Makes me think of the Ghost take on why people get into horse racing.

Edited by That Aud Smell

EDIT: One last, last thought: My take on him is encapsulated in his memory of leading a pep rally in front of 30,000 people at the Rose Bowl -- "... I told my brother, that's the closest I'll come to being a rock star!" Makes me think of the Ghost take on why people get into horse racing.

The tweet about "signing" Ryan Whatshisface to a goalie contract comes to mind as well.

His take on that event is disgustingly self indulgent

His take on that event is disgustingly self indulgent

it's self a lot of things.

i heard him crow in that segment about how he's a humble guy by nature.

good rule of thumb: when a guy (or gal) talks about how humble he/she is? s/he ain't.

Right!!?? Like anyone there gave a flyin f*** about him. Clown statement.

send in the clowns ...

Listen guys! You're deaf. "If you listen to A LOT of the other GMs, and ANY of the people in hockey, they KNOW that what we're doing, takes A LOT of COURAGE! uh, but it is... They're ALMOST envious that we're ABLE to DO IT!, and that's because the COMMITMENT that TERRY and Kim PEGULA have made to, to do this the RIGHT WAY!" Joe Battista, Sabres, '13-'14, (21-51-10).

Edited by Marcellus

Was talking to Goose this past weekend (ran into him at the dog park) and he told me that the players don't even know why Pat LaFontaine resigned. But, some rumors that he had a bit of a "Jeckyl and Hyde" personality. Supposedly you never quite knew what you were going to get from day to day...

Post-concussion syndrome.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.