Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

I can't believe that such a successful businessman would be this stupid. No one signals to an employee that it's over. And it's inconsistent with prior action (firing Regier).

well, what i meant, i think, is that the ownership group decided it was over, wanted to wait until after the trade deadline to announce the departure, told PLF as much, and then had it go sideways. i dunno. i'm already drifting away from being interested in this.

which is exactly how TB planned it!

Remember how heading into the Superbowl this year, the most important story regarding the Seahawks wasn't the sophomore mid-round quarterback, it was the antics of a veteran defensive back?

It took a lot of the spotlight off Wilson.

It's interesting how this story is taking all the spotlight off the worst roster in franchise history having just jettisoned it's only face since 2007.

Well, I think the interview does put to rest one theory; that being Pat left because he decided he was happier in his role working for the league. If that were the case, why wouldn't he say it? The Sabres certainly wouldn't mind that being disclosed.... If Pat had said "You know, Bucky, I accomplished my main goals for the team, but I found that I missed my role in the league, and my lifestyle, and decided it wasn't the direction I wanted to take my life in, so I tendered my resignation".

And if it was an amicable parting of ways, Nolan certainly wouldn't be distressed... especially since the new GM was offering him a 3 year contract.

To me it seems that the only reason for silence would be "drama" of some sort - egregious misconduct of some sort on his own part that necessitated his termination, or some kind of Romanesque power play in the executive offices that forced him out.

But we'll probably never know, much like the reasons for Nolan's first departure. 10 years from now, there will still be conjecture and questions surrounding it.

Nolan is a cool dude. It will be a shame when he's fired next year. Someone will have to take the blame for the losses though, and there are about 150 people between Nolan and Pegula. So if Nolan has to take the responsibility, that means that Pegula will survive. I figure we'll bring back Lindy, and the masses will rejoice.

Nolan is a cool dude. It will be a shame when he's fired next year. Someone will have to take the blame for the losses though, and there are about 150 people between Nolan and Pegula. So if Nolan has to take the responsibility, that means that Pegula will survive. I figure we'll bring back Lindy, and the masses will rejoice.

I heard that Terry told Lindy, look, things are going to get ugly. We'll air quote fire you, you go to Dallas and win a bit, stay sharp, then when things are looking more hunky dory (Terry says this, you all know it) here and less easy peasy there, we'll fire the placeholder coach and reinstall you after you get shitcanned.

I meant to post this few days ago. Here's Bob Koshinski's take of Patty's firing...

This is a combination of what I know, what I’ve been told and what my gut tells me about the Pat LaFontaine situation. After eleven days LaFontaine has publically spoken only to Bucky Gleason of the News and of the Bucky & Sully Show. Even then he added nothing new to the situation and offered not a hint as to what went down, so here is my final take on the situation.

Pat LaFontaine believed he was the boss on the hockey side when he accepted the position of President of Hockey Operations for the Buffalo Sabres. In that, LaFontaine believed only owner Terry Pegula had final say over his decisions and even then Pat believed Pegula had full trust in his judgment and hockey sense.

Soon after arriving in Buffalo LaFontaine had expressed to those close to him that the Sabres front office had problems. Still, Pat believed he had been hired to straighten out those problems and take command of the direction of the franchise. Pat found out soon enough that he was not given that type of power and control by Pegula, despite his title of President.

As LaFontaine’s frustration grew he was perceived by some as over stepping his bounds and getting involved in areas that were not under his supervision. Pat would not back down from the resistance he was getting or perceived to be getting from within and outside his department.

Rest- http://www.allsportswny.com/putting-ribbon-pat-lafontaine-story/

Once they start talking about him not agreeing with moving certain players, they lose me. He was originally offered a position that he felt he was not qualified for so he passed on that. Instead he winds up in a position where he believes he is above the GM, that same "lower level" position that he said he wasn't qualified for? It doesn't make sense.

Once they start talking about him not agreeing with moving certain players, they lose me. He was originally offered a position that he felt he was not qualified for so he passed on that. Instead he winds up in a position where he believes he is above the GM, that same "lower level" position that he said he wasn't qualified for? It doesn't make sense.

Definitely. Makes you wonder about all the rumblings from the media during the GM search that many started to believe that LaFontaine was just going to name himself as GM? It seems to me, when LaFontaine was interviewing people for the job, he was making it known that he has approval/veto power on the hockey department.

Where there's smoke theres fire, right?

A question unanswered from Koshinski's story; Was it GMTM that PTF was chaffing against, or was it the Inner Circle/Penn State Boys? If it's the latter, then hopefully GMTM won't run afoul of them, or his time at FNC could be shortened too. Is it common in the NHL for the owner to have a bunch of buddies working in the front office, doing jobs no one is quite sure exactly what they do, except drawing lucrative pay checks?

Doesn't make it right and doesn't mean we should accept it.

What, pray tell, do you suggest we do? Reject it? How? For what purpose? If you actually managed to start a crusade and run Pegula out of town, we'd just have another owner with other cronies doing the exact same things. Same story, different names.

The thing I find most amusing about all of this is that half the people who act like they know what's the best way to run a franchise and think they could do the job much better at it then those in charge believe there is no way TP, CB, TB or JB or any of the inner circle could possibly have a clue.

The thing I find most amusing about all of this is that half the people who act like they know what's the best way to run a franchise and think they could do the job much better at it then those in charge believe there is no way TP, CB, TB or JB or any of the inner circle could possibly have a clue.

Curtis Brown?

I've got no real beef with Pegula's cronyism, unless and until it starts to affect the franchise itself.

I believe it already has.

Patty left under a cloud of secrecy that stinks. TB sounding more and more clueless with each utterance. No one knows what Batista is really up too. Can't tell who is really running the hockey department. Nolan's reluctance to sign a contract extension that seems to be on the table for some time now. Many players not seeming to give a _ _ _ _ ...

I believe it already has.

Patty left under a cloud of secrecy that stinks. TB sounding more and more clueless with each utterance. No one knows what Batista is really up too. Can't tell who is really running the hockey department. Nolan's reluctance to sign a contract extension that seems to be on the table for some time now. Many players not seeming to give a _ _ _ _ ...

I think the last part is just the natural end of a tank season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.