Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

Bucky has had a vendetta against the Sabres for so long (Harrington also has had an ax to grind). Neither one of these guys comes anywhere close to the standard that Jim Kelley set.

Sigh... who does come close to that standard?

Thanks, but I disagree. He did say something. In connection with explaining PLF's resignation, he said there was no discord within the FO. As others have noted, that statement can only be a Clintonian truth ("Well, see, that depends on what the meaning of 'is' is ... ."). A more reasonable view of TB's claim of "no discord" is that it was an outright lie.

I will be among the last to defend Black, but, what if there really was no discord that led to his "resignation"? Everyone is so focused on this being a Sabres matter, when, everyone who can speak about it factually has denied that. The only people saying it was "internal discord" are the people speculating.

I will be among the last to defend Black, but, what if there really was no discord that led to his "resignation"? Everyone is so focused on this being a Sabres matter, when, everyone who can speak about it factually has denied that. The only people saying it was "internal discord" are the people speculating.

I guess anything is possible.

But, when a guy who claims he has his dream job abruptly resigns after 3 months on the job, and he's paid to keep quiet about the circumstances surrounding his departure, and his hand-picked coach and close affiliate uses words and a tone that leave little to no doubt that the guy was done wrong, and the whole thing gets announced in a hastily staged fire drill, I say it's absurd to conclude that there was no "discord" (a fancy word for a disagreement among people (usually a group)) that gave rise to the "resignation."

I also like your observation about how "everyone who can speak about it factually has denied that" there was discord. And who from that FO group cannot now speak about it without forfeiting his severance package? Right.

And I have no beef with the fact that there were disagreements and PLF left because of them. Just acknowledge THE TRUTH in a sanitized, vague way, and move on. Don't insult our intelligence with "nothing to see here ... pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." Because it is insulting.

I don't know if I would say Everyone, Nolan didn't make it sound that it was just PLF deciding to leave on his own. Also, theres to many things comming out about this that make it appear theres more to this then what they are letting out. If this was just PLF deciding his job was done and he is out, why did he not speak about it to the media with TP and the rest of the front office? Why would they settle the remainder of his contract if its his decision to leave and make him sign a contract saying he can't speak about it?

Of course the inside guys are going to deny it was anything big, do you really think Black, or anyone else in the front office is going to come out and say 'Yeah, PLF left because he fought with someone and there were many disagreements"

This is so frustrating. It was Tweeted, so it must be so. Nolan didn't say anything that anyone could hang their hat on. Obviously there is a cover up of something.

It seems most people are content to keep hunting down the paths laid out for us by the "leaks", despite the clear fact that those paths lead to dead ends. But since it was said, it must be so...why? Few people seem to be willing to even consider thinking outside the box on this matter.

There are so many parallels to political and social manipulation it's disgusting, but, what's more disgusting is if I bring up any examples of that, guaranteed that a few people will be distracted by the content of the example, accuse me of bringing up politics, and totally miss the point that it's only an example to illustrate a greater point.

Edited by sizzlemeister

Thanks, but I disagree. He did say something. In connection with explaining PLF's resignation, he said there was no discord within the FO. As others have noted, that statement can only be a Clintonian truth ("Well, see, that depends on what the meaning of 'is' is ... ."). A more reasonable view of TB's claim of "no discord" is that it was an outright lie.

I agree that he's charged with selling the brand. I happen to think he's bad at it, and that his habit of shading the truth plays very poorly in a town that, as much as anything, wants honesty and hard work. (I am sure TB has "hard work" covered.)

I guess anything is possible.

But, when a guy who claims he has his dream job abruptly resigns after 3 months on the job, and he's paid to keep quiet about the circumstances surrounding his departure, and his hand-picked coach and close affiliate uses words and a tone that leave little to no doubt that the guy was done wrong, and the whole thing gets announced in a hastily staged fire drill, I say it's absurd to conclude that there was no "discord" (a fancy word for a disagreement among people (usually a group)) that gave rise to the "resignation."

I also like your observation about how "everyone who can speak about it factually has denied that" there was discord. And who from that FO group cannot now speak about it without forfeiting his severance package? Right.

And I have no beef with the fact that there were disagreements and PLF left because of them. Just acknowledge THE TRUTH in a sanitized, vague way, and move on. Don't insult our intelligence with "nothing to see here ... pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." Because it is insulting.

Both of these.

Don't look me in the eye and lie to me. And don't pretend "there is no sexual relationship" isn't a lie based on some tortured interpretation.

This is so frustrating. It was Tweeted, so it must be so. Nolan didn't say anything that anyone could hang their hat on. Obviously there is a cover up of something.

It seems most people are content to keep hunting down the paths laid out for us by the "leaks", despite the clear fact that those paths lead to dead ends. But since it was said, it must be so...why? Few people seem to be willing to even consider thinking outside the box on this matter.

There are so many parallels to political and social manipulation it's disgusting, but, what's more disgusting is if I bring up any examples of that, guaranteed that a few people will be distracted by the content of the example, accuse me of bringing up politics, and totally miss the point that it's only an example to illustrate a greater point.

How are you supposed to think outside the box if you can only use the "facts" that are being said by the front office? The people thinking that theres more to this then being led on and that theres a coverup are thinking outside the box

How are you supposed to think outside the box if you can only use the "facts" that are being said by the front office? The people thinking that theres more to this then being led on and that theres a coverup are thinking outside the box

Has anyone ever considered the "coverup" is more to protect PLF than the Sabres?

Okay, here's an example: cause: PLF has a drinking or drug dependency problem. That would go farther to explain everything we know than an internal rift would (but admittedly not by much).

Be advised, I don't think this is the issue, I just present it as a way of trying to help tie together the "facts" of the matter.

Okay, here's an example: cause: PLF has a drinking or drug dependency problem. That would go farther to explain everything we know than an internal rift would (but admittedly not by much).

Be advised, I don't think this is the issue, I just present it as a way of trying to help tie together the "facts" of the matter.

Or how about struggling with CTE?

Hoo boy. This from a TO hockey writer:

After talking to a number of people close to LaFontaine and others in the Sabres organization, it is clear the situation is the result of a toxic mix of an owner who is too much of a fan for his team’s good, who surrounded himself with a surplus of advisers whose motives must be questioned, and a former NHLer who needed neither the job nor the salary, nor the headaches of dealing with a fan-boy owner and his cronies.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/shoalts-nolans-future-is-uncertain-in-the-wake-of-lafontaines-departure/article17255427/#dashboard/follows/

After talking to a number of people close to LaFontaine and others in the Sabres organization, it is clear the situation is the result of a toxic mix of an owner who is too much of a fan for his team’s good, who surrounded himself with a surplus of advisers whose motives must be questioned, and a former NHLer who needed neither the job nor the salary, nor the headaches of dealing with a fan-boy owner and his cronies.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/shoalts-nolans-future-is-uncertain-in-the-wake-of-lafontaines-departure/article17255427/#dashboard/follows/

Ya don't say?

That's an ironic follow up comment....

Hey kettle! You've been on a roll for 3 years.

Ya don't say?

You're going to buy that. Because it's so easy to assimilate. For all we know, they developed the "crony" narrative by visiting this site, reading your theories. Anything to put this behind us.

http://www.theglobea...hboard/follows/

That's a lot of setup with no payoff. If things are that toxic, what issue sent PLF for the exits? The Miller/Ott trade? If he had that much of a disagreement with Murray on that matter why wasn't it discussed BEFORE he hired him as GM, considering that topic was was simmering even before Murray was brought in. Was it telling Ott and Miller to get off the ice? Telling VInz to suit up?

Why would the Sabres have to negotiate a deal for the remainder of his contract with them AND have him sign a Confidentiality agreement if it is to protect Lafontaine?

Agreements go both ways, don't they?

Ya don't say?

You know, I wanted to read the article with an open mind, but starting with "If there were a trophy for worst owner in professional sports, Terry Pegula would have that thing locked down tighter than the Buffalo Sabres’ grip on last place in the NHL." I just can't do it. This certainly sounds ugly, but I'd be interested in hearing more. Two sides to every story and whatnot.

Has anyone put forth the scenario where *Pegula* didn't want Miller/Ott traded and Murray/LaFontaine decided to any ways?

You're going to buy that. Because it's so easy to assimilate. For all we know, they developed the "crony" narrative by visiting this site, reading your theories. Anything to put this behind us.

Will you and others please stop the ridiculous suggestions that the entire world of sports media is reading this site? First of all, there are other Sabres boards.

All of these respected hockey voices are wrong? They're all making up ######? Shoalts is a serious guy who's been around a long time and almost certainly has good sources.

Will you and others please stop the ridiculous suggestions that the entire world of sports media is reading this site? First of all, there are other Sabres boards.

All of these respected hockey voices are wrong? They're all making up ######? Shoalts is a serious guy who's been around a long time and almost certainly has good sources.

Okay. You've told me. You're right.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I liked this part:

After the latest shocker to hit the Sabres – the resignation of Pat LaFontaine as president of hockey operations this past weekend, just 3 1/2 months after he took the job – Pegula can take his place on the dishonour roll beside such meddling luminaries as Harold Ballard, Bill Wirtz, Charles Wang, Donald Sterling, Ted Stepien and at least two generations of the Bidwell and Glieberman families.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/shoalts-nolans-future-is-uncertain-in-the-wake-of-lafontaines-departure/article17255427/

Name one.

Like Bucky Gleason?

That's a lot of setup with no payoff.

I do agree that the material wound up being thinner than I thought it would be. The paragraph that jumped out at me was the one I quoted. He said he has sources, and that's the picture they painted. Not good.

You know, I wanted to read the article with an open mind, but starting with "If there were a trophy for worst owner in professional sports, Terry Pegula would have that thing locked down tighter than the Buffalo Sabres’ grip on last place in the NHL." I just can't do it.

I agree with this as well. The guy's looking to drive clicks, for sure. As are they all.

Shoalts is a serious guy who's been around a long time and almost certainly has good sources.

I have no idea who he is. But it does strike me that those who are sympathetic to PLF are working to get his side of the story out, one way or another.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.