Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

should work out for Nolan to. Assuming he doesn't have any moments like last time around. He can show the NHL that he can help build a team and develop players. If TM still wants to bring in "his" guy, someone will give Nolan a shot at a playoff roster.

Also I meant to hit quote and I went spastic and hit report instead............ sorry Shrader, mods please disregard or remeve or whatever needs to be done with that thanks.

Would work for me.

I like Nolan, but ultimately I like the Sabres more, so if it means better results, sure bring in another coach.

And like you said, barring any stupid incidents, he could easily have salvaged his NHL career through his return to the Sabres.

I see very little downside for anyone here, even though we're talking pure speculation.

I believe it already has.

Yup - that's my concern too. Cronyism isn't an issue if the cronies in question are competent, experienced, and are focused on getting a job done. Sometimes the boss hires people he KNOWS are good and can get the job done.

However, if there just there to polish their desk sign, collect a huge paycheck without doing anything productive and make trouble behind the scenes - well then that's an issue for everyone.

Was talking to Goose this past weekend (ran into him at the dog park) and he told me that the players don't even know why Pat LaFontaine resigned. But, some rumors that he had a bit of a "Jeckyl and Hyde" personality. Supposedly you never quite knew what you were going to get from day to day...

Was talking to Goose this past weekend (ran into him at the dog park) and he told me that the players don't even know why Pat LaFontaine resigned. But, some rumors that he had a bit of a "Jeckyl and Hyde" personality. Supposedly you never quite knew what you were going to get from day to day...

Interesting.

Did the players SAY that, because that was their experience with him...or is that what they heard as the reasoning from others?

Right voice but not nearly as effeminate or intelligent. He sounded a little more dem, dere, doze kinda guy.

I don't want to ram-rod this guy, because in all honesty....my impression is a lot like yours. I think he would have liked being around Lafontaine because he seems to revert to being a fan. He had to have been thrilled going out on the road with him. I don't think Battista is an a-hole. I don't know what he can bring to player evaluation at an NHL level.....but he is fine to have around otherwise. He needs to decide if he wants to be an agent of the Sabres...or a fan though. I can say crap because I make $0.00 from the Sabres or any entity covering them. He's probably hauling in $200K+....and if he wants to point out his contributions to "The Hockey Operations Department".....he probably shouldn't be so flippant in his commentary.

Did the players SAY that, because that was their experience with him...or is that what they heard as the reasoning from others?

Seemed that he covered it pretty clearly to me.

But, some rumors that he had a bit of a "Jeckyl and Hyde" personality. Supposedly you never quite knew what you were going to get from day to day...

I don't want to ram-rod this guy, because in all honesty....my impression is a lot like yours. I think he would have liked being around Lafontaine because he seems to revert to being a fan. He had to have been thrilled going out on the road with him. I don't think Battista is an a-hole. I don't know what he can bring to player evaluation at an NHL level.....but he is fine to have around otherwise. He needs to decide if he wants to be an agent of the Sabres...or a fan though. I can say crap because I make $0.00 from the Sabres or any entity covering them. He's probably hauling in $200K+....and if he wants to point out his contributions to "The Hockey Operations Department".....he probably shouldn't be so flippant in his commentary.

Please let the ramming begin. I thought Batista (and who pronounces it the way he does FFS, have a little pride in your ethnicity) sounded like an uneducated dirtball. The kind I expect a right place right time billionaire to latch onto. He'll do Terry's dirty work...and I'm not certain what that's limited to.

I think this is what the players heard from others in the front office. I assume they didn't deal directly with Patty much. But, that would support why he lasted only months in two different front office jobs.

I think this is what the players heard from others in the front office. I assume they didn't deal directly with Patty much. But, that would support why he lasted only months in two different front office jobs.

It kind of reminds me of my boss: he's 100% behind his people and rarely has anything bad to say, but he has no issues getting into it with his peers or superiors and telling it like it is. I've only seen that side when I've been in a meeting with him and his peers and superiors, which I doubt the players would be. Apparently some of the west-coast folks in my org used to refer to him and "The Hammer" (although he's mellowed out a bit in the last couple years).

So this solves nothing. The players had no bad interactions with him but are being fed stories from management. Lafontaine left the most dysfunctional NHL franchise last time around and took the job because he played for the team. Seems like he just completed a repeat.

When you are a billionaire and surrounded by Yes-Men....an intelligent, charming guy who will stand up for what he believes in no matter who you are just may seem Jeckell and Hyde.

Thanks for the info though....

Please let the ramming begin. I thought Batista (and who pronounces it the way he does FFS, have a little pride in your ethnicity) sounded like an uneducated dirtball. The kind I expect a right place right time billionaire to latch onto. He'll do Terry's dirty work...and I'm not certain what that's limited to.

Is that Sylvester or himself calling himself Batista instead of Bateeeesta? I agree with you.

He dropped about 20 names on 8 different subjects....then made it a point to go on a roll about finding players with character and this quality and that quality, "And that's my job and the job of the guys with me in the Hockey Operations Department". So he basically wanted to make clear that he IS evaluating players and making hockey decisions......for all those that were making fun of people for questioning what he was doing involved in the whole process and poo-pooing those who raised concerns.

He can't help but talk talk talk.......which is great for us fans who want to hold guys accountable. He let a couple doozies go on this interview.

Why was Battista brought in? In his own words, to restructure the organization and put the right pieces in place behind the scenes. Sure sounds like what a team president does.

Sometimes we all think too much. The LaFontaine affair is not hard to understand. Battista throwing his weight around on deadline day was the tell.

I am not convinced that Pegula would choose for the best of the team over "the old boys network "

That should be pretty clear by now. He has untold wealth and (allegedly) a desire to win Cups. Instead of scouring the globe to find the best hockey minds, he went with the comfortable, the crony. You know what they say about ######.

FTLOG, in cest.

JFC - I gotta listen to the Battista thing, as time allows. (It won't for several days -- weeks, perhaps.)

I'm not sure the PLF departure was directly causally tied to Battista, but I'm sure Battista-creep had a piece to play in the debacle (as did PLF's being sorta hot and cold).

Fak, fak, fak.

JFC - I gotta listen to the Battista thing, as time allows. (It won't for several days -- weeks, perhaps.)

I'm not sure the PLF departure was directly causally tied to Battista, but I'm sure Battista-creep had a piece to play in the debacle (as did PLF's being sorta hot and cold).

Fak, fak, fak.

You're saying this based solely on this thread, without listening to the interview?

Et tu, Brutus?

So this solves nothing. The players had no bad interactions with him but are being fed stories from management. Lafontaine left the most dysfunctional NHL franchise last time around and took the job because he played for the team. Seems like he just completed a repeat.

When you are a billionaire and surrounded by Yes-Men....an intelligent, charming guy who will stand up for what he believes in no matter who you are just may seem Jeckell and Hyde.

Thanks for the info though....

I choose not to believe because it goes against the preconceived notion I've been nursing for months.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.