Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

The Vinz thing as a whole is just plain goofy. They might as well have fun with it. I wonder if Vinz was a guy that reported directly to Battista. That would explain him being the one to post it.

I'm not making too much out of it. But it's possibly a little hint into what kind of guy Battista is. Bucky's point is valid — Murray signs players, not Battista. The nugget about an alleged email from Battista referrring to himself as vice president of hockey operations, when that's not his title, is also weird.

I'm not making too much out of it. But it's possibly a little hint into what kind of guy Battista is. Bucky's point is valid — Murray signs players, not Battista. The nugget about an alleged email from Battista referrring to himself as vice president of hockey operations, when that's not his title, is also weird.

Weird indeed. Really bad form to be enjoying this too much at the height of the turmoil last week. It's great to have fun, but there's also a time and place. And that time and place was a time for class and careful reflection. I get the impression Battista lacks class. This guy sounds like a classic pro sports wannabe. I can only hope TP can recognize this and give Battista a CLEARLY defined, UNOBSTRUCTIVE role.

GO SABRES!!!

Okay I read and heard some things and my own personal theory,

PLF went to Pegula and told him to get Black and that crew out because they know dick about hockey. Pegula got all pissed about that because he is friends with those guys and PLF and Pegs had a huge argument. In the end PLF wanted nothing to do with that so he left. PLF however thinks Tim Murray is the perfect guy for the Sabres and is going to be a good GM.

GREAT column by Bucky this morning:

http://www.buffalone...d-rift-20140304

I am sure the "blame-the-media" crowd will be out with their long knives as usual...for whatever reasons they can dredge up. But sorry, the guy's opinions are legit because (despite what others have intimated in this thread), he DOES have sources and connections, and he DOES know what's going on better than the frequent visitors of an internet message board. His opinions are only opinions, but they are better informed than 99.9% of fans. That s a fact.

Takes the Vinz tweet and turns it into an act of insurrection. <_<. Puh-leeze. Gleason is more interested into stoking flames than reporting news.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Takes the Vinz tweet and turns it into an act of insurrection. <_<. Puh-leeze. Gleason is more interested into stoking flames than reporting news.

PTR

Mole hill meet mountain. It is funny how he cannot resist the snark. He took what I presume was intended as an attempt at humor (and interpreted as such by everyone in the world -- outside of the Buffalo News building).

I have little understanding as to what Battista does. In the end, it does not make any difference. Tim Murray is the GM and is in charge -- not Battista.

Edited by Peter

Mole hill meet mountain. It is funny how he cannot resist the snark. He took what I presume was intended as an attempt at humor (and interpreted as such by everyone in the world -- outside of the Buffalo News building).

I have little understanding as to what Battista does. In the end, it does not make any difference. Tim Murray is the GM and is in charge -- not Battista.

What Battista was doing could be at the heart of why LaFontaine left. Could. That's the importance of these little clues. Why did Pegula hire him in the first place? Was he lurking around LaFontaine as Pegula's eyes and ears? (He did accompany LaFontaine on a trip to interview GMs.) Running around notifying Nolan, telling Vinz he was playing and claiming he "signed" him, potentially exaggerating his title in an email, they're just some wafts of smoke. We're all trying to piece things together.

Edited by PASabreFan

What Battista was doing could be at the heart of why LaFontaine left. Could. That's the importance of these little clues. Why did Pegula hire him in the first place? Was he lurking around LaFontaine as Pegula's eyes and ears? (He did accompany LaFontaine on a trip to interview GMs.) Running around notifying Nolan, telling Vinz he was playing and claiming he "signed" him, potentially exaggerating his title in an email, they're just some wafts of smoke. We're all trying to piece things together.

The impression I had at the time was that TP wanted someone with some hockey knowledge to assess whether or not to get rid of Darcy. So if that's the case, we shouldn't be unhappy with the results of Battista's first assignment.

So then, is it safe to assume they aren't worth the emotional investment necessary to continue the assault on the organization? Can you let it go?

GO SABRES!!!

When the organization stops it's assault on the intelligence of the fans and begins to understand their fiduciary responsibility in owning a prized community asset, I will then stop analyzing their dysfunction. I thought the enemy occupation was over. I was in full support the past few months. I DON'T have it in me anymore going forward if Nolan leaves. Sometimes you just have to cut your loses and retreat. If Ted has a 3 year deal sitting there and turns it down, that is all I need to know.

Everyone is different.

You are just inventing stuff now. Please stop....or get a job at the News.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think that the guy just got a job in which he supports and reports to the hockey people. Nothing more than that. The fact that he was the guy to run down to tell Ted Nolan to get Miller and Ott off the ice was just a function of who was around to do it because Murray was busy doing his job. It could have been you or me if we had been standing around. The fact that guys at the News elevated what was something an errand boy does into something else is humorous and sadly typical.

There are rumblings that Battista and Black's involvement in hockey related decisions directly lead to PLF quitting.

And the Vinz tweet is supposed to be a smoking gun?

There very well may have been friction between PLF and "Pegula's people" but those pushing that line assume that PLF was some kind of saint or someone who is a proven builder of franchises. He was neither. If anything Pat has a history of being difficult. And the fact that he threw such a public snit at a critical moment like trade deadline shows an appalling lack of professionalism. Funny how Bucky misses that. No matter how bad it might have been, you don't show up your team.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

There are rumblings that Battista and Black's involvement in hockey related decisions directly lead to PLF quitting.

Black is on the business side of things. He has said time and time again that he reports to Pegula and PLF reported to Pegula - PLF did not report to Black. If what you, others, and guys at the news have suggested were true, I seriously doubt that either Tim Murray or Craig Patrick would still be with the team. Regarding Battista, as I posted in response to another, he essentially ran an errand for Tim Murray by running down to tell Ted Nolan to take Miller/Ott off the ice because of the trade. There is no reason to elevate that into something else as others have done. The fact that Battista was running an errand for Tim Murray demonstrates the opposite.

And the Vinz tweet is supposed to be a smoking gun?

There very well may have been friction between PLF and "Pegula's people" but those pushing that line assume that PLF was some kind of saint or someone who is a proven builder of franchises. He was neither. If anything Pat has a history of being difficult. And the fact that he threw such a public snit at a critical moment like trade deadline shows an appalling lack of professionalism. Funny how Bucky misses that. No matter how bad it might have been, you don't show up your team.

PTR

And here you go doing the same thing your complaining about everyone else doing, making stuff up or using rumors to make your theory. He had a history of being dificult?

Also he didn't throw any "public snit", he just resigned from his position. He didn't run to the media to make announcements or anything. Also, if what some here believe is true, who cares if he did it now or in a few weeks or the summer, he isn't the GM or making player moves, so it shouldn't disrupt the team from doing anything. Its not like Murray has to stop what he is doing to handle all of this, or PLF was in the process of making deals then quit. TP, Black and the other head guys are the ones that should be handling it.

When the organization stops it's assault on the intelligence of the fans and begins to understand their fiduciary responsibility in owning a prized community asset, I will then stop analyzing their dysfunction. I thought the enemy occupation was over. I was in full support the past few months. I DON'T have it in me anymore going forward if Nolan leaves. Sometimes you just have to cut your loses and retreat. If Ted has a 3 year deal sitting there and turns it down, that is all I need to know.

Everyone is different.

Perfectly understandable and rational. We all hope Ted Nolan stays. He does wonders with a young team and that's what's needed at the moment.

For health reasons, you may want to let it go in the meantime.

GO SABRES!!!

There are also rumblings that PLF wanted to do some things that DID require TP and other front office buy-in, but he pissed some people off when he decided not to check with them first and he didn't like it when TP asked why.

GO SABRES!!!

And here you go doing the same thing your complaining about everyone else doing, making stuff up or using rumors to make your theory. He had a history of being dificult?

Also he didn't throw any "public snit", he just resigned from his position. He didn't run to the media to make announcements or anything. Also, if what some here believe is true, who cares if he did it now or in a few weeks or the summer, he isn't the GM or making player moves, so it shouldn't disrupt the team from doing anything. Its not like Murray has to stop what he is doing to handle all of this, or PLF was in the process of making deals then quit. TP, Black and the other head guys are the ones that should be handling it.

PLF stopped reporting to work. That was his way of showing everyone he was p.o'd. Then he resigns in the middle of trade deadline. The guy couldn't wait a week or two? The fact he did this while Murray was trying to swing deals is bad form, whether he was involved or not. You don't make a scene in your workplace.

And his history is full of examples of him pitching tantrums since he was a player. I'm not making anything up. There is not a single "what if.." in my story.

PTR

Perfectly understandable and rational. We all hope Ted Nolan stays. He does wonders with a young team and that's what's needed at the moment.

For health reasons, you may want to let it go in the meantime.

GO SABRES!!!

What is there to let go? We're discussing stuff.

Today should be like Christmas Eve for hockey fans....trying to sleep, but waiting to see what is under the tree. Well for me at least, opening the presents today is going to be lackluster because Grandpa just died the other day. The sad thing is, there is some reason to believe Dad pulled the plug on him to inherit his assets. It makes for a very conflicting situation.

What is there to let go? We're discussing stuff.

Today should be like Christmas Eve for hockey fans....trying to sleep, but waiting to see what is under the tree. Well for me at least, opening the presents today is going to be lackluster because Grandpa just died the other day. The sad thing is, there is some reason to believe Dad pulled the plug on him to inherit his assets. It makes for a very conflicting situation.

Carry on.

GO SABRES!!!

The obvious question(s) the Buffalo media did NOT ask Ted Black, and has yet to be answered

Was PLF asked to resign?

Was PLF PRESSURED to resign?

The Sabres with their non-disclosure agreement about the very terms of his resignation seem very very much in damage control mode, and trying to 'shape the dialog'.

The very next time Terry Pegula steps in front of a microphone, he should be hit with these questions, and probing follow up questions that don't allow him to avoid a direct answer.

I would still love to see the entire Sabresspace forum march in front of FNC. We could even split into two factions on site, under our own banners;

1 - The faction who think that PFL is an evil twisted lunatic, suffering from wild and erratic concussion related mental illnesses, who was wisely gotten rid of to save life and limb at FNC, as well as the virtue of the management's wives, who he was trying to seduce at will.

2 - The faction who think that Saint Patrick was wrongly martyred by the Devil's own dark and malevolent representative on Earth, Terry Pegula.

But we would be UNITED in our unwavering demand for answers and juicy details from the team's management!

PLF stopped reporting to work. That was his way of showing everyone he was p.o'd. Then he resigns in the middle of trade deadline. The guy couldn't wait a week or two? The fact he did this while Murray was trying to swing deals is bad form, whether he was involved or not. You don't make a scene in your workplace.

And his history is full of examples of him pitching tantrums since he was a player. I'm not making anything up. There is not a single "what if.." in my story.

PTR

there's several inferences (what if's) in your story. PLF stopped coming to work. has that been reported as fact? i honestly don't know.

he did it to show everyone he was PO'd. is that a fact? no. that's an inference. maybe the FO told him to stay away. maybe he was honestly not feeling well.

then he chooses to resign right before the trade deadline, refusing to wait a week or two. facts? no. especially given the appearance, or at least the possibility, that he was forced to resign and the timing was not of his choosing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.