Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

Hey kettle! You've been on a roll for 3 years.

Sorry...it was a Lindy joke about something he said today.

And there's nothing to buy on Lafontaine. I laid out what could happen when Battista first came on. It happened. Pegula protected Darcy tooth and nail for 3 years as 90% of the fans were screaming for his head....if he really is the guy he says he is, he would go to bat for Patty or help him through any problems. That's how I know a few of the stories getting floated are bubkus. Fool me once, shame on you....fool me 17 times......

Hoo boy. This from a TO hockey writer:

After talking to a number of people close to LaFontaine and others in the Sabres organization, it is clear the situation is the result of a toxic mix of an owner who is too much of a fan for his team’s good, who surrounded himself with a surplus of advisers whose motives must be questioned, and a former NHLer who needed neither the job nor the salary, nor the headaches of dealing with a fan-boy owner and his cronies.

http://www.theglobea...hboard/follows/

Ghost is a writer for The Globe?

GO SABRES!!!

Bucky has had a vendetta against the Sabres for so long (Harrington also has had an ax to grind). Neither one of these guys comes anywhere close to the standard that Jim Kelley set.

It is clear that Bucky has "taken sides" - he did so a long time ago.

Regarding PLF, one thing that sticks out to me is that the Islanders have erased all mention of one of their greatest players. Whether PLF was an unpaid assistant and only in that role for 40 days, one wonders what a guy could have done to cause an organization to go out of their way to to act as though the guy never existed.

On the other hand, the Pegulas have a reputation for being wonderful people to work for. Ask people such as Lindy Ruff or Steve Ott (people no longer with the team) what they think of the Pegulas. The Pegulas were the ones that went out of their way and had the idea to hire PLF. You do not go and hire someone to be an executive with the team (someone who was not on anyone's radar other than the Pegulas) with the desire to screw the guy over.

Nevertheless, the guys from the News always have the knee jerk reaction to "choose sides" against the Sabres and its ownership -- because it fits the narrative that they have been pushing for so long.

The Pegulas even kept Darcy around when guys like Sully (and the rest) were clamoring for them to fire Darcy on day one. Given their track record of showing loyalty to people such as Darcy (when they could have fired him as their first move to garner PR points with the News and others), one wonders what could have happened to cause this to end so quickly (as with the Islanders). Perhaps, Paul Hamilton's comments about the public and private personas are correct.

Given the above, I am going to give the benefit of any doubt to the people who have put their money where their mouths are both in terms of the hockey team and the community.

On the other hand, we know that guys like Bucky and Harrington and Sully are not going to give them the benefit of the doubt because it simply does not fit their narrative.

Just my two cents.

:worthy:

Hoo boy. This from a TO hockey writer:

After talking to a number of people close to LaFontaine and others in the Sabres organization, it is clear the situation is the result of a toxic mix of an owner who is too much of a fan for his team’s good, who surrounded himself with a surplus of advisers whose motives must be questioned, and a former NHLer who needed neither the job nor the salary, nor the headaches of dealing with a fan-boy owner and his cronies.

http://www.theglobea...hboard/follows/

Will you and others please stop the ridiculous suggestions that the entire world of sports media is reading this site? First of all, there are other Sabres boards.

All of these respected hockey voices are wrong? They're all making up ######? Shoalts is a serious guy who's been around a long time and almost certainly has good sources.

Actually, Shoalts is a blowhard who is not among the G&M's better writers. If James Mirtle or Eric Duhatschek had said it, I would've given it more credence. But Mirtle or Duhatschek wouldn't have written a column so heavy on bombast and so light on specifics.

Actually, Shoalts is a blowhard who is not among the G&M's better writers. If James Mirtle or Eric Duhatschek had said it, I would've given it more credence. But Mirtle or Duhatschek wouldn't have written a column so heavy on bombast and so light on specifics.

Fair. I have no idea who this guy is.

Even so. He writes about hockey in a major market. He said he has sources close to PLF and the Sabres FO, and he characterized his take-away from those conversations. Like I said, it wasn't good.

Even so. He writes about hockey in a major market. He said he has sources close to PLF and the Sabres FO, and he characterized his take-away from those conversations. Like I said, it wasn't good.

Bucky can claim to have sources close to PLF and the Sabres.

don't really think Shoalts writing about the goings on of the Buffalo Sabres read as breathlessly in Toronto, nation, (globe a national paper) as it is in Buffalo. This article hardly bent to the sensational to sell newspapers. It simply a reporter doing his job. Not a surprise some would jump to trash him... many of you have really reached a number of lows thus far, siting mental problems, drinking, cte, ect as to why Pat Lafontaine would have resigned. Disgraceful, you are better than this . Nature of forums is to have opinion, to agree , to disagree , but lows have been met here. imo

I'm missing something here.

30 minutes since the last PLF post. 30 MINUTES!!

don't really think Shoalts writing about the goings on of the Buffalo Sabres read as breathlessly in Toronto, nation, (globe a national paper) as it is in Buffalo. This article hardly bent to the sensational to sell newspapers. It simply a reporter doing his job. Not a surprise some would jump to trash him... many of you have really reached a number of lows thus far, siting mental problems, drinking, cte, ect as to why Pat Lafontaine would have resigned. Disgraceful, you are better than this . Nature of forums is to have opinion, to agree , to disagree , but lows have been met here. imo

In a vacuum of facts opinions made from whole cloth will emerge. When people have nothing to go on except reports from people with agendas, what do you expect? How are we supposed to know who's at fault here?

Bucky can claim to have sources close to PLF and the Sabres.

Here's the deal now with all this Pegula hiring of Alumni....There are probably 30 guys on the payroll that are downtown for various reasons...scouts, coaches, broadcast, foundation, hockey academy, etc. The majority of them played with Lafontaine or were in the league when he was. While you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you, and even I will agree it is great how Pegula wants these guys around and treats them....they aren't going to sit back and let Patty get shelled. They have to be careful about it, and some may know more than others, but you can only tote company line with a straight face for so long.

30 minutes since the last PLF post. 30 MINUTES!!

In a vacuum of facts opinions made from whole cloth will emerge. When people have nothing to go on except reports from people with agendas, what do you expect? How are we supposed to know who's at fault here?

having opinions agreeing disagreeing gaining information is what is done here. My disappointment lay in some of the low level of trash discourse. Regarding personal decisions there does not need to be a fault. Sometimes a choice needs be made, one side is happy the other is not. It obvious neither need make any apologies , you win you happy, you lose , you are not. Those at top as they say it is lonely , often they make decisions that at first blush make more unhappy than not, or at least as many. The search for a villain a idle one in my view.

"Disgraceful, you are better than this"?...who anointed you lord and master of the moral high ground? You sound like the Seattle City Council, who took it upon themselves to ban the words "brown bag", as in brown bag lunch, from the local lexicon because the PC blockheads, in their we-know-better-than-you omniscience, decided the term was racially disparaging.

Edited by phil_soisson

"Disgraceful, you are better than this"?...who anointed you lord and master of the moral high ground? You sound like the Seattle City Council, who took it upon themselves to ban the words "brown bag", as in brown bag lunch, from the local lexicon because the PC blockheads in their we-know-better-than-you omniscience decided the term was racially disparaging.

Go easy on millbank. He's a class act and is just suggesting we take a look at ourselves before we throw words out there.

Regarding the bold text, is that true? Did Seattle really do that? Unbelievable.

GO SABRES!!!

many of you have really reached a number of lows thus far, siting mental problems, drinking, cte, ect as to why Pat Lafontaine would have resigned.

i don't think this sort of speculation is beyond the pale. this is what happens when there is a vacuum of information. it's a rational process, really. no one wants to engage in such talk (well, almost no one), but it's what we're left with: theories.

The search for a villain a idle one in my view.

now, there's a chestnut of wisdom.

i don't think this sort of speculation is beyond the pale. this is what happens when there is a vacuum of information. it's a rational process, really. no one wants to engage in such talk (well, almost no one), but it's what we're left with: theories.

now, there's a chestnut of wisdom.

stand by what I said, call me as you wish. It disgraceful and low to throw out mental illness, drunkeness, cte, ect it fact shameful.

Regarding my thoughts ect, if they be chestnuts of wisdom , it noted by many I not cared for or respected, I can live with that.

I do like this ...... Lions do not lose sleep over the opinions of sheep

Edited by millbank

With all due respect, I don't think you read the thread and understood the context. If you could point out, say, where anyone cited mental problems or drinking as THE reason this occurred, then you can say what you said and be fair doing so. However, no one declared those as the reason for PLF's departure, and, especially the drinking, wasn't even proposed as a possibility; that was just an example of trying to find other reasons for the departure.

But I wonder why we, in your world, can be "disgraceful" in discussing the parameters within which the PLF departure occurred as a manner or course, but PLF can not be similarly human and be the sole reason for having to depart.

stand by what I said, call me as you wish. It disgraceful and low to throw out mental illness, drunkeness, cte, ect it fact shameful.

Regarding my thoughts ect, if they be chestnuts of wisdom , it noted by many I not cared for or respected, I can live with that.

I do like this ...... Lions do not lose sleep over the opinions of sheep

If I am not mistaken, "chestnut of wisdom" was intended to be a compliment regarding what you posted.

I'm with Millibank here. Way too much rumor mongering and useless speculation. It all is nothing but speculation. The facts will show themselves in time. They always do. And when they do the conversation will be much more worthwhile.

If I am not mistaken, "chestnut of wisdom" was intended to be a compliment regarding what you posted.

I'm with Millibank here. Way too much rumor mongering and useless speculation. It all is nothing but speculation. The facts will show themselves in time. They always do. And when they do the conversation will be much more worthwhile.

"Way too much" doesn't come close to describing it properly. The thread is 99.999% speculation.

Mouse potatoes gonna mouse.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.