Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

I agree, but you think they would want to bust their humps so that they may be part of this team going forward. We can't be this bad forever.

I think it's contagious, and I don't think there are very many players who will be part of the process going forward who aren't already signed long term. Which is why Ennis and Stafford seem to be playing slightly harder than everyone else.

I believe it already has.

Patty left under a cloud of secrecy that stinks. TB sounding more and more clueless with each utterance. No one knows what Batista is really up too. Can't tell who is really running the hockey department. Nolan's reluctance to sign a contract extension that seems to be on the table for some time now. Many players not seeming to give a _ _ _ _ ...

Well, we'll see. TM and CP are still new to their jobs. If TM continues to go about his business in a quiet and vaguely grumpy way, we'll know all is well (at least, insofar as the meddlesome cronies go). Others have said it: TM is probably our canary in the coal mine. If that guy bolts before he has a chance to do his work, then we will know we're fairly doomed.

The thing I find most amusing about all of this is that half the people who act like they know what's the best way to run a franchise and think they could do the job much better at it then those in charge believe there is no way TP, CB, TB or JB or any of the inner circle could possibly have a clue.

Indeed. And if they were in charge, they'd recruit various posters here and friends as advisors much in the same way TP has.

I believe it already has.

Patty left under a cloud of secrecy that stinks. TB sounding more and more clueless with each utterance. No one knows what Batista is really up too. Can't tell who is really running the hockey department. Nolan's reluctance to sign a contract extension that seems to be on the table for some time now. Many players not seeming to give a _ _ _ _ ...

Who takes the first contract offer they're given? I think it would be a mistake to assume he's reluctant to sign because of any internal issues when the far more likely explanation is it's standard negotiating procedure.

Who takes the first contract offer they're given? I think it would be a mistake to assume he's reluctant to sign because of any internal issues when the far more likely explanation is it's standard negotiating procedure.

They've gotten to you, man (slaps TBPhD on the cheek). Calm down, you're hysterical.

Ok, but do you have a counter for my other points? I'm guessing no, Mr. Smarty Pants, since you did not address them.

Oh, and I'm not buying what you are selling concerning coach Nolan either. So, there.

They've gotten to you, man (slaps TBPhD on the cheek). Calm down, you're hysterical.

Ok, but do you have a counter for my other points? I'm guessing no, Mr. Smarty Pants, since you did not address them.

Oh, and I'm not buying what you are selling concerning coach Nolan either. So, there.

There was nothing else to respond to and it's all been discussed ad nauseam. We don't know anything...nor have we known anything about the internal dynamics of any other ownership group. LaFontaine did leave under a cloud of secrecy, and that cloud isn't getting lifted anytime soon, if ever. There's nothing to be said that hasn't been said, it's all just opining on something we know basically nothing about. I personally don't find Black to sound clueless at all, although I can see how his style may rub some the wrong way. We don't know what Battista is "up to" and we probably won't. Did we know what every person with a title did under Golisano, Rigas (insert joke here) or the Knoxes? We don't know who really runs the hockey department, but the evidence points to Murray; anything beyond that is rampant speculation.

What we know about Nolan's contract situation is Murray offered him a deal, Nolan took time to have people look over it, and both sides hope to have it taken care of in the near future. That doesn't sound to me like a guy who is bouncing on moral/personal grounds, it sounds like a typical negotiation.

Edit: Last point I didn't address was the players not caring, because I agreed with the poster formerly known as LPF's interpretation, so I had nothing to add.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

If I let fear of corporate cronyism prevent me from consuming I'd be living under some pine branches in the woods wearing the pelts of the animals I've killed for food.

Is this a feasible option? Because if it is, I'm in.

I agree, but you think they would want to bust their humps so that they may be part of this team going forward.

Why? Seriously, better to get waived and try with another, more successful, franchise.

I think much of what I read here is the byproduct of The Tank. People say they want the Sabres to stink it up for the #1 pick but the reality makes us crazy.

...as foretold by the prophecy.

I like how some always seem to give a pass and say "nobody knows".

Have you not read the board? When Pegula first came in, some were laying out the carnage about to take place because Pegula was comfortable with Regier and Darcy has a history of rolling over. It happened. Here we are going on 4 years later.

Does Pegula and the front office cronies not have a very public history with Penn State? Can you not take cues from the interlocking circle that ALWAYS gets the contracts, be it management, real estate, construction, donations, etc.? It is plain as day, and they have no shame. I'm not saying there need be in some of the cases, but when Lafontaine left, WRGZ had a quote from Pegula's inner circle saying, "nobody will care if we are winning.".....yep....that seemed to be the MO at Penn State too. Throw money at stuff, shred documents, play dumb, and just make sure the machine keeps rolling. How anyone can fail to look at the dozens of case studies in how things happen there and logically apply the same potential here, is either crazy or lazy. I'm not just talking about the Paterno/Sandusky stuff....just the woven web. It happens everywhere, but not like this. Almost cult like.

"We don't know".......no, just laid out that when Battista was brought in, it was encouraging that Darcy would soon be gone. And when Lafontaine was hired, that if there really was meddling going on, Lafontaine would leave in a heartbeat. You have Lafontaine on video himself saying Battista was on interviews with him and going on trips with him. It's there....the concern, the actions, and the result, all laid out ahead of time and completed in short order.

As a Sabre fan I want to bury my head and hope all is well just like anyone else. When concern after concern gets presented, and people scoff, then things DO take place and this franchise is where it is....why should I listen to anyone with a straight face who wants to give the benefit of the doubt?

Have you not read the board? When Pegula first came in, some were laying out the carnage about to take place because Pegula was comfortable with Regier and Darcy has a history of rolling over. It happened. Here we are going on 4 years later.

Does Pegula and the front office cronies not have a very public history with Penn State? Can you not take cues from the interlocking circle that ALWAYS gets the contracts, be it management, real estate, construction, donations, etc.? It is plain as day, and they have no shame. I'm not saying there need be in some of the cases, but when Lafontaine left, WRGZ had a quote from Pegula's inner circle saying, "nobody will care if we are winning.".....yep....that seemed to be the MO at Penn State too. Throw money at stuff, shred documents, play dumb, and just make sure the machine keeps rolling. How anyone can fail to look at the dozens of case studies in how things happen there and logically apply the same potential here, is either crazy or lazy. I'm not just talking about the Paterno/Sandusky stuff....just the woven web. It happens everywhere, but not like this. Almost cult like.

"We don't know".......no, just laid out that when Battista was brought in, it was encouraging that Darcy would soon be gone. And when Lafontaine was hired, that if there really was meddling going on, Lafontaine would leave in a heartbeat. You have Lafontaine on video himself saying Battista was on interviews with him and going on trips with him. It's there....the concern, the actions, and the result, all laid out ahead of time and completed in short order.

As a Sabre fan I want to bury my head and hope all is well just like anyone else. When concern after concern gets presented, and people scoff, then things DO take place and this franchise is where it is....why should I listen to anyone with a straight face who wants to give the benefit of the doubt?

I'm more in the "I'm not sure it really matters" camp. I agree that there seems to be a pattern of behavior that is dysfunctional and while we don't really know all the juicy details and facts we can make certain assumptions.

Again, though, I'm not sure it matters and I agree with the rather arrogant belief that winning will cure all their ills.

I'm old enough to have seen stranger things. Some of the best run companies that I have been a part of have failed and success and dysfunction have not always been mutually exclusive.

I know it's almost anti American and definitely anti capitalist but while hard work and an intelligent and efficient management structure are important a lot of success was built on just being in the right place, making sure the right people know who you are and/or just being lucky.

So I'll go ahead and say it. I don't think Murray wants Nolan.

Well, we'll see. TM and CP are still new to their jobs. If TM continues to go about his business in a quiet and vaguely grumpy way, we'll know all is well (at least, insofar as the meddlesome cronies go). Others have said it: TM is probably our canary in the coal mine. If that guy bolts before he has a chance to do his work, then we will know we're fairly doomed.

Hard to disagree.

My only problem is, that's how I felt about LaFontaine 5 weeks ago!

So I'll go ahead and say it. I don't think Murray wants Nolan.

I agree that he probably wants his own guy long term. That said, I think he's aware he needs a short term guy to cover the next abysmal year or two. An inherited coach is the perfect guy for the job.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Doesn't make it right and doesn't mean we should accept it.

It may not be right, but accept it: it's in every team and every business. If you don't want to accept it--if you want to fight nepotism and "friendism" your whole life--well, good luck, my man.

yeah I'm cynical about the new ownership too. especially with that scummy Penn State connection. :sick:

It may not be right, but accept it: it's in every team and every business. If you don't want to accept it--if you want to fight nepotism and "friendism" your whole life--well, good luck, my man.

Does it not frustrate you? We could have the perfect situation and an advantage unmatched in all of sports: a filthy rich owner, fan of the team before he had two nickels to his name, one who cares and wants to win, willing to spend — and yet between his meddling and his friendism, it's no advantage at all.

We could have the perfect situation and an advantage unmatched in all of sports: a filthy rich owner, fan of the team before he had two nickels to his name, one who cares and wants to win, willing to spend — and yet between his meddling and his friendism, it's no advantage at all.

Professor Pangloss strikes again.

I agree that he probably wants his own guy long term. That said, I think he's aware he needs a short term guy to cover the next abysmal year or two. An inherited coach is the perfect guy for the job.

It really is the near perfect situation for Murray. The team gets to flounder for a couple more years under Nolan and then as they're starting to return to respectability, he gets to bring in his own guy.

It really is the near perfect situation for Murray. The team gets to flounder for a couple more years under Nolan and then as they're starting to return to respectability, he gets to bring in his own guy.

should work out for Nolan to. Assuming he doesn't have any moments like last time around. He can show the NHL that he can help build a team and develop players. If TM still wants to bring in "his" guy, someone will give Nolan a shot at a playoff roster.

Also I meant to hit quote and I went spastic and hit report instead............ sorry Shrader, mods please disregard or remeve or whatever needs to be done with that thanks.

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.