Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

It doesn't really matter. It's a "win-win" for the Sabres. If it's not top 10 this year then they get a first rounder this year. If it is top 10 then it moves to a "stronger" draft next year. I think the chances of them trading the pick at the deadline are about 5% anyways, so who really cares?

It's an asset that doesn't have a true value until the Islanders declare. It's like playing poker without looking at one of the cards. Like Regier or not, the Sabres need to maximize all assets and opportunities as they present themselves. The trade deadline is an opportunity.

It's an asset that doesn't have a true value until the Islanders declare. It's like playing poker without looking at one of the cards. Like Regier or not, the Sabres need to maximize all assets and opportunities as they present themselves. The trade deadline is an opportunity.

So does this mean you think this was a bad deal? Because the Islanders probably don't do it without this stipulation. It just saves them the immediate embarrassment of absolutely stinking it up and then losing Vanek AND a top 10 pick in one offseason. Teams know what the pick stipulation is.

You don't know what a pick's TRUE value is until either the end of the season or at the draft lottery. That's well after the deadline. Picks are potential with no defined value.

Edited by DStebb

Vanek didn't have a very auspicious debut with the Islanders - only 1 shot and 0 points in 20 minutes of ice time, which is pretty much how he's played for a while around here. By comparision Moulson scored 2 goals in his first game here!

Part of me wants to think Darcy is an evil genius. Think about it for a minute, he floats Vanek to the Leafs to get the Islanders to bite. He knows that not only will Vanek get him good value, but that Vanek is in no way suited to the Islanders high tempo system, which means he'll be underwhelming and his value drops league wide making Darcy look brilliant.

Part of me wants to think Darcy is an evil genius. Think about it for a minute, he floats Vanek to the Leafs to get the Islanders to bite. He knows that not only will Vanek get him good value, but that Vanek is in no way suited to the Islanders high tempo system, which means he'll be underwhelming and his value drops league wide making Darcy look brilliant.

Damn near 2 decades of genius. Tell that little part of you to pipe down.

On phone=no friendly chiding emoticon.

I watched 2 periods of the Isles game last night. Vanek played exactly how he did in Buffalo. He was on the top line with a real center and he was only noticeable to me because he was wearing a strange color of blue.

Edited by wjag

Everyone on this board must be smoking something. Vanek is going to be fine on the Island and I bet he lights it up on a really good line. His conditioning will catch up quickly if it needs to at all.

For everyone that is now bashing him that he is gone that makes no sense. He gave us a lot of good years and has been one of the most consistent scorers league wide.

Moulson is a good hockey player but he does not have the talent that Vanek does.

Everyone on this board must be smoking something. Vanek is going to be fine on the Island and I bet he lights it up on a really good line. His conditioning will catch up quickly if it needs to at all.

For everyone that is now bashing him that he is gone that makes no sense. He gave us a lot of good years and has been one of the most consistent scorers league wide.

Moulson is a good hockey player but he does not have the talent that Vanek does.

A lot of people that are bashing him now bashed him when he was here. Yes he has talent. That is indisputable. He will have his streaks where he scores a bunch of goals. He will also have more games than not where he is unnoticeable and lazy.

Your highest paid player has to be your best player night in and night out. He did not do that. He was not a natural leader and was part of the culture problem we are trying to fix.

Look at every teams highest paid player and then ask yourself who you would rather have leading your team. I will not miss him and think he should have been gone a long time ago.

Edited by sicknfla

So does this mean you think this was a bad deal? Because the Islanders probably don't do it without this stipulation. It just saves them the immediate embarrassment of absolutely stinking it up and then losing Vanek AND a top 10 pick in one offseason. Teams know what the pick stipulation is.

You don't know what a pick's TRUE value is until either the end of the season or at the draft lottery. That's well after the deadline. Picks are potential with no defined value.

Considering the position the Sabres are in, it's a decent return. I would have preferred a player much younger than Moulson with years left on a contract or years until UFA is reached. Overall it will depend on what the Islanders decide and what the Sabres can get in return for Moulson at the deadline.

Vanek didn't have a very auspicious debut with the Islanders - only 1 shot and 0 points in 20 minutes of ice time, which is pretty much how he's played for a while around here. By comparision Moulson scored 2 goals in his first game here!

Wonder what Tavares really thinks of his new line mate ....

Vanek was a disgruntled hockey player in Buffalo. I don't think I ever saw him smile the whole time he was here, just grimace. He must've been a locker room cancer especially this year. And now he's been thrown to the lions. The NY market can be tough for a "superstar" who doesn't produce, especially if he got traded for a fan favorite.. So it's put up or shut up time for Thomas. I'm sure he'll succeed to some degree and have his hot streaks but will his goals mean increased wins for the Isles? I doubt it with their defense and goalie situation. There's no telling if he'll have the same chemistry that Moulson did with Tavares who were inseperable buddies, much like Vanek and Pominville. Tavares was at Moulson's house hanging out with his family the night Moulson got traded. The first game seemed forced. There was a shot of the two talking on the bench; looks like they were seriously discussing some kind of strategy. It didn't look like fun. So the trade may backfire on the Isle and only serve to submarine Tavares.

Edited by 716

And if the Islanders fail this year and it does wind up as a top 10 pick, they'll Tavares won't have Moulson or Vanek on his wing next year. Who knows how or if they replace that.

Top 10 As of Yet-Unannounced Additional Unpleasant Addendums to the Vanek-Moulson Trade 10. Sabres must use second-round pick on still another player whose last name is a major brand of beer 9. Islanders receive all net proceeds of "Shields vs. Snow, The Rematch" on PPV 8. Butch Goring gets to use Vanek's "Around the World" move on his wife (swirl, not twist, at the end) 7. Tartar sauce only approved condiment at First Niagara Center concession stands 6. Pegula to pay Wang $100 million cash or certain "wang photos" will be released to TMZ 5. Billy Smith gets to butt-end Ron Rolston — one time, but he's going to make it good 4. ..... Help.

It's good to get a periodic reminder of why this message board is the best thing going when it comes to being a fan of the Sabres (and the NHL for that matter).

3.) If New York reclaims its top 10 pick in 2014, Islanders must host "Vanek Face" night when Sabres and/or team for which Vanek plays visits in 2014-2015.

thomas-vanek-drew-stafford-2009-10-2-10-43-34.jpg

I think it was Rob Ray on the pre-game yesterday that said, directly, that Vanek's conditioning will have to get up to speed for him to play like they'll expect him to on the Islanders.

really? :w00t:

Edited by That Aud Smell

I wish Vanek all the best and I do think he's a great offensive player. But his best year ever was when he played on a 3rd line that seldom faced other teams' best checking or offensive lines. Yes, that has something to do with our dearth of top flight centers for him to play with, but I think it has more to do with teams getting better matchups against him as well.

GO SABRES!!!

Let us take a look at 2009 to present. In 2009 Matt Moulson finally made the permanent transition from the AHL to the NHL which is the reason I am starting with that year. I am not counting this seasons stats so it ends with the regular season stats of the 2012/2013 season.

From 2009-2013:

Thomas Vanek - 106g, 122a, for 228pts

Matt Moulson - 112g, 102a, for 214pts

What this seems to equate to is that we traded Vanek's goal scoring prowess for better goal scorer with less assists plus we added picks. Now in the media and around the board a lot ppl have said that Tavares has inflated Moulson's numbers and that he is a average player who will see a big drop in his production. Until that does indeed happen, which I think is unlikely given how Hodgson passes, it seems Moulson may give us a little more in the goals department but overall Darcy got a very similar player back. Now obviously they have different styles of play but this trade is very interesting given that we saw Moulson's scoring already and the instant chemistry he generated with Hodgson.

Leadership, maybe. He's very responsible in his own end.

This I think is the major draw back to Moulson is that he isn't as much of a two-way guy. Vanek definitely is better in his own end.

Let us take a look at 2009 to present. In 2009 Matt Moulson finally made the permanent transition from the AHL to the NHL which is the reason I am starting with that year. I am not counting this seasons stats so it ends with the regular season stats of the 2012/2013 season.

From 2009-2013:

Thomas Vanek - 106g, 122a, for 228pts

Matt Moulson - 112g, 102a, for 214pts

What this seems to equate to is that we traded Vanek's goal scoring prowess for better goal scorer with less assists plus we added picks. Now in the media and around the board a lot ppl have said that Tavares has inflated Moulson's numbers and that he is a average player who will see a big drop in his production. Until that does indeed happen, which I think is unlikely given how Hodgson passes, it seems Moulson may give us a little more in the goals department but overall Darcy got a very similar player back. Now obviously they have different styles of play but this trade is very interesting given that we saw Moulson's scoring already and the instant chemistry he generated with Hodgson.

This I think is the major draw back to Moulson is that he isn't as much of a two-way guy. Vanek definitely is better in his own end.

I would hold off on talking about the instant chemistry they have after a few games, It seems like every player that gets moved always has one of their best games in the first game they play in with their new team. If he continues scoring like he did on Monday, then we can talk about chemistry.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.