Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Moulson's story as told from the Island.

http://www.lighthous...-buffalo-sabres

and some perspective on Matt Moulson... the Islanders on Oct 11 planned on resigning him... lol

http://espn.go.com/n...e-big-pay-raise

After reading those two articles I can not fathom a good reason to trade Moulson for Vanek. Garth Snow is an idiot.

Really enjoyed both of these. Thanks for posting them. :thumbsup:

Just a quick note on Moulson. Right now he is shooting at .214% where as his average is .141% thus I would expect his scoring pace to slow and regress towards his average. Note that his season high sh% since he made it full time is .164%

For those of you who are math challenged like myself it means that currently Moulson is scoring on 21.4 out of 100 shots where as his average is 14.1 out of 100. Roughly speaking for a guy who takes a little over 200 shots a year this means he is on pace to score 10more goals than average. That seems unlikely but he could theoretically do it.

At his current pace based on shot percentage he would net 46.8goals on 218.6shots.

If you used his average shot percentage (.141) he would have 30.8goals and if you used his best (.164) 35.8goals. Both of which are very probable given his last 3 full seasons and even counting the lockout shortened season from last year.

Edit: Note that if you used his current GPGA he would get roughly 54.6goals this season which IMPO is not plausible.

Math Smath.

All that jumbo adds up to a simple well known formula that occurs when guys start performing above their career average. Contract year! Simple math really.

I hope.

1. Do we have a prayer of even signing him? If any question at all, deal.

2. Is he going to be what he is now when the kids are ready to compete? If not sure, deal.

3. Is his price at the deadline going to be elevated to the point where it simply makes the most sense? Deal.

I agree that he may very well be the type of player we want to hang on to. But this is a total rebuild from the ground up. There will be other Moulson's to grab when the time is right if this one doesn't make sense.

I agree with most of that, except that a total rebuild from the ground up still requires having several veterans in the lineup. Why wait for another Moulson to come around when he's already here? It would make one less thing to worry about for Darcy.

I hope.

I agree with most of that, except that a total rebuild from the ground up still requires having several veterans in the lineup. Why wait for another Moulson to come around when he's already here? It would make one less thing to worry about for Darcy.

Because I'm not sure having a Moulson is going to matter next season. Season after, maybe.

If Moulson can prove to be a guy that will consistently be at or near 30 goals with Hodgson and plays well in other facets of the game, then I'm willing to overpay to a Jason Pominville type deal. If he wants more or doesn't want to go through the rebuild then move him.

Just a quick note on Moulson. Right now he is shooting at .214% where as his average is .141% thus I would expect his scoring pace to slow and regress towards his average. Note that his season high sh% since he made it full time is .164%

For those of you who are math challenged like myself it means that currently Moulson is scoring on 21.4 out of 100 shots where as his average is 14.1 out of 100. Roughly speaking for a guy who takes a little over 200 shots a year this means he is on pace to score 10more goals than average. That seems unlikely but he could theoretically do it.

At his current pace based on shot percentage he would net 46.8goals on 218.6shots.

If you used his average shot percentage (.141) he would have 30.8goals and if you used his best (.164) 35.8goals. Both of which are very probable given his last 3 full seasons and even counting the lockout shortened season from last year.

Edit: Note that if you used his current GPGA he would get roughly 54.6goals this season which IMPO is not plausible.

dont mean to get too picky.....but its not .214% or .141%---its 21.4% or 14.1%

NHL.com Link related to the Vanek-Moulson deal and The Sabres rebuild process: Super 16: Plethora of picks could key Sabres' rebuild

There are 25 players who have scored 30 goals in a season at least three times since the start of the 2006-07 season.

Not counting 2012-13, when only Alex Ovechkin scored at least 30 goals, this group of players all scored at least 30 three times in a six-season span. Six of those players have been traded in the past 15 months, including two who moved in the same deal Tuesday when the New York Islanders sent Matt Moulson and two draft picks to the Buffalo Sabres for Thomas Vanek.

Among deals where proven offensive commodities switched sides, it is the biggest trade since Marian Hossa went to the Atlanta Thrashers from the Ottawa Senators for Dany Heatley in 2005. Rick Nash and Marian Gaborik essentially were traded for each other (eventually), but that doesn't count.

There has been plenty of debate about the Moulson-Vanek transaction, and it's likely going to continue for years to come. Let's be clear though: The Islanders are better in 2013-14 because of this trade, but this deal was an undeniable long-term victory for the rebuilding project in Buffalo.

@SunGarrioch

Vanek on RPT BUF would make him NHL's top paid."I never once got a contract offer from them. That story, I’m not sure where it came from.”

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Well if the Vanek report didn't come from the agent, who's left? Didn't the Sabres say something similar after Drury and Briere left, that they were willing to match any offer?

It's quite possible that it came from the agent -- i.e. planting the "highest paid player in the NHL" concept for harvesting this July.

I heard. I'm actually partying with the game on and missed this one. But BOY has Nabakov been terrible. Why didn't they go for Miller again?

Head scratcher.

Vanek's no look pass to Tavares: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=2013020194-486-a

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

They were bad but this team might go down as one of the worst of all time

Also on pace for the fewest goals scored in the history of the NHL

Since the Flyers are scoring less than the Sabres right now it might be a case where they still won't get that record. :)

Well if the Vanek report didn't come from the agent, who's left? Didn't the Sabres say something similar after Drury and Briere left, that they were willing to match any offer?

It's all in the wording. He said he didn't receive a contract offer. That doesn't mean he wasn't told that they would make him the highest paid player in the NHL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.