Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

I know Vanek is a sniper but I could never warm up to the guy. I think he is selfish; it was all about him. Vanish might be able to carry a team on his back for awhile and he has amazing hands but I got tired of how unenthusiastic he always was and his cryptic comments. And he'd disappear for long stretches, his endurance is suspect and I got the feeling he never wanted to be in Buffalo, especially after signing an offer sheet with Edmonton of all teams so long ago. I feel like even though we gave him a huge contract, he was some kind of elitist, like Hasek, somehow above Buffalo.

FU Vanek. I think a black cloak has been lifted on this team since his departure and the arrival of the much more affable, and very talented Moulson is the same difference and will greatly add to team chemistry.

F Vanek, I like Moulson better. :P

(I'm only half kidding, I always really liked Matt Moulson.)

Vanek never seemed like the "heart and soul" guy who wills his team to a championship through blood, sweat, and tears. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just never got the impression he was that sort of player. Talented for sure, but if he wants out, he wants out. Build around guys who want to be a Sabre.

I like you Potato. You say it the way it is.

What impresses me about Moulson, even in this 1 outting so far, he appears to want to be a game changer just by viewing his desire to win. I never saw that in Vanek.

I'd like them to keep Moulson, and keep that Hodgson, Moulson, Ennis line together. Then build another line with a couple of all star players. And do it in 2 to 3 seasons at the most.

But my wants put aside for a moment, I really like Moulson on this team.

Wonder if Vanek's agent is the source for the Vogl tweet?

I am confident that's the case.

What impresses me about Moulson, even in this 1 outting so far, he appears to want to be a game changer just by viewing his desire to win. I never saw that in Vanek.

I'd like them to keep Moulson, and keep that Hodgson, Moulson, Ennis line together. Then build another line with a couple of all star players. And do it in 2 to 3 seasons at the most.

But my wants put aside for a moment, I really like Moulson on this team.

Steve Bernier says temper your expectations based on a scintillating debut game.

LULZ re Harry Neale's proclaiming the start of Bernier's Sabres career.

I've seen some pretty ridiculous statements on here, and this is most likely the worst. Not even close to the right number.

Leaving aside the entirety of the group of posters here, I can think of several that you've authored that are substantially more ridiculous. In fact, there are a couple in this thread.

I agree with all of this. People seem to fail to realize he signed the offer sheet to leave. He was leaving. He didn't come back to the team and say look this is what I've got or anything just signed. So none of the current situation should surprise anyone. I did enjoy some of his time and often felt let down by him. As good as he is you there's more that he can give but chooses to coast etc. Good luck TV.

Good post.

F Vanek, I like Moulson better. :P

(I'm only half kidding, I always really liked Matt Moulson.)

Vanek never seemed like the "heart and soul" guy who wills his team to a championship through blood, sweat, and tears. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just never got the impression he was that sort of player. Talented for sure, but if he wants out, he wants out. Build around guys who want to be a Sabre.

+1

Keep going and get it closer to 100 and then I'll relax. Because that was more what I was calling out. It's somewhere between 40-70. Nowhere near 100.

Koivu (age), Eriksson (talent), Shattenkirk (position), OEL (position), Seguin (still unproven), Backstrom (talent) are not worth more than Vanek.

The point wasn't wrong, but the number was an exaggeration.

There is no "maximum salary." Nobody is paying him over $8 mill. I'd expect him to get something like 7 years, $49 mill or 8 and $53 million or so if extending.

Well there is a max, but Vanek isn't getting it. So I just pushed it aside.

It might be useful to think before you talk.

He's probably worth 6 for $45....someone will give him 7 for $56 if a crap team...and 7 for $50 if good. The Sabres would have had to give him 7 for $69 if reports are correct....

That's apesh!t crazy!!!

I agree with all of this, and I can actually see him getting $60MM+.

Malcontent in that you can't leave a guy on your roster for 3/4 of a year when everyone in the room knows he doesn't want to be there. That Vanek wanted out was the worst kept secret in the world. IMHO, you are best off with guys like that out of the room sooner rather than later (certainly Darcy could have moved him this summer).

Yes.

yeah but vanek is less "moveable" because of his huge contract. And they won't move him if he and tavares find chemistry and are in a playoff spot.

The cap impact declines as we approach the deadline. You are likely right about them not moving him in those circumstances though.

Wonder if Vanek's agent is the source for the Vogl tweet?

Good call. It probably didn't come from the Sabres.

Well, there is a lot to talk about in this thread. Some really good posts but a ton of dribble and stupidity as well. To keep it short I will say three things.

1) the 2014 draft is not as deep as the 2013 however do not confuse that with the assumption that the 2014 class lacks talent. Truth be told at this time last year the draft was all about mackinnon and jones and that turned into a conversation about 5-7 guys. We won't really have a decent idea until the midterm rankings and won't have a good idea until the final rankings. Getting another 2014 1st is a good thing. It gives us a lot of possibilities.

2) Thomas Vanek wasn't staying and we all knew that. This trade is actually better than the pominvile deal impo. We got 1st line NHL talent for 1st line NHL talent plus we got the picks. Now I doubt NYI miss the playofFs. I would guess that first is in the 15-20 range but that doesn't mean we can't use it to move up. Lots of options there.

3) Matt Moulson is a good player. He has good hands and a quick shot. I wouldn't mind signing him to a deal but if we can't or don't. Trade him at the deadline. He has multiple 30goal seasons and I think will hit that plateau again even without Tavares. Don't look down to much on Moulson as he has the ability to contribute n different ways. I would be interested to see how he fairs with Hodgson as his center because I think they would compliment each other.

So all and all great trade for Buffalo impo. Let's see how it plays out. Resigning or trading Moulson is a win for this team because he is a legitimate top 6 forward. If we trade him at the deadline that is easily another first rounder, if we sign him then we can keep a player who Hodgson can dish the puck too. I will miss Vanek and I dislike Darcy but it is a good trade.

O one last thought. Moulson has a cap hit 4million less than Vanek, which means he is much easier to trade at this years deadline.

Here's the take from my friend who's an Islander fan...

Buffalo won the trade but has a chance to be good for both teams - I always liked Moulson but he drove me crazy when watching games. He has a sniper mentality and a nose for the net but in the other 2 zones painfully weak . He's soft and non-existent in defensive and neutral zones.. he struggles to carry the puck out of own end and depended on JT to carry the load. Once in scoring position very comfortable but anywhere else on ice would hide from puck ... On top of that soon to be 30 years old and was looking for big pay day next year.

Isles desperate to have someone with JT as never had a guy with the talent Vanek has. If works out those two can put up serious numbers and make a push in payoffs, if not we can trade Vanek at deadline and at least get the 1st rounder back. Isles been playing poorly this season already and something had to be done ..

yeah but vanek is less "moveable" because of his huge contract. And they won't move him if he and tavares find chemistry and are in a playoff spot.

A few things to think about when we talk about how easy it is to move a player.. especially one who will be a UFA at year's end.

The Sabres have $8mm in cap space, the Isles have $11mm in cap space. If they are going nowhere they could offer Vanek to another team and absorb 50% of the cap hit (isn't that the max?) for the other team. So a team with $3.5mm of cap space wants Vanek? No problem. The Isles retain $3.5mm in salary and the other team trades them $1mm in salary and boom.. Vanek is gone.

The Sabres can do the same with Moulson, but more importantly, they cleared $3+mm in cap space by moving Vanek. Why does this matter? Because now they can eat a full 50% of Miller's contract to move him to another team who wouldn't want to take on his $6.1mm hit.

As for Moulson not wanting to sign here.. I love how we all just assume to know what a player wants. Where did Horton end up? He chose Columbus, a team that has middled around for quite some time. Bottom line, if Moulson performs the Sabres will make an offer. If he wants it, he will sign. If not, he will get moved. The Sabres own this situation.

As for Vanek? We'll see what happens. I think there were times that he definitely was a downer for the team. He has the ability to do great things, he just didn't always follow through with that.

A few things to think about when we talk about how easy it is to move a player.. especially one who will be a UFA at year's end.

The Sabres have $8mm in cap space, the Isles have $11mm in cap space. If they are going nowhere they could offer Vanek to another team and absorb 50% of the cap hit (isn't that the max?) for the other team. So a team with $3.5mm of cap space wants Vanek? No problem. The Isles retain $3.5mm in salary and the other team trades them $1mm in salary and boom.. Vanek is gone.

The Sabres can do the same with Moulson, but more importantly, they cleared $3+mm in cap space by moving Vanek. Why does this matter? Because now they can eat a full 50% of Miller's contract to move him to another team who wouldn't want to take on his $6.1mm hit.

It is important to remember that there are cumulative limits to how much money you can retain in trades and also how many times you can do it (can only retain money from 3 traded contracts at the same time). This is going to get in the way sooner or later if we keep saying "trade this guy and retain XX% of his salary". We've already got Pominville on the books, so we can only take on money from two more players.

Vanek could of milked the Sabres and Darcy of a big contract to finish up his career, I give him credit for wanting to be somewhere where winning is going to be more important to him than being paid more money.

Honestly he is going to get an elite level contract no matter where he goes

Vanek was the only guy on the current roster who could speak German with The Hoff. Now The Hoff is lonely. ;)

They should convince Hecht to unretire from the NHL for that reason alone.

BRING BACK HECHT!!

EDIT TO ADD:

And why was The Sound of Music in English?

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

@TSNBobMcKenzie

BUF retained approx $1.4M, give or take a few thousand $, or roughly 20 per cent of Thomas Vanek's remaining salary, as part of NYI trade.

@DarrenDreger

As per @TSNBobMcKenzie Buf retains roughly $1.4 mil of Vanek's salary. Sabres offered Vanek to Toronto along with willingness to eat salary.

@DarrenDreger

Vanek offer to Leafs was made 3-4 days ago, but, told there was no deal to be made.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@TSNBobMcKenzie

BUF retained approx $1.4M, give or take a few thousand $, or roughly 20 per cent of Thomas Vanek's remaining salary, as part of NYI trade.

@DarrenDreger

As per @TSNBobMcKenzie Buf retains roughly $1.4 mil of Vanek's salary. Sabres offered Vanek to Toronto along with willingness to eat salary.

I would have freaked out if Vanek ended up on the leafs.....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.