Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Of course it would be less than Pommers as Vanek has less than a year left and everyone and their grandmothers know he's signing with the wild. Question is, why would the Isles make this trade? They're giving up a guy who put up 30 goal seasons in each of the last 3 full years. Plus their 1st and 2nd? I think we came out on top because now we can still flip Moulson at the deadline if need be.

I'll have to pass judgment on this trade until i see how a few things pan out

1)Moulson's future here

A) Does he resign? If he does, and produces similar numbers, I'm on board with it. But he won't have Tavaras, and if he doesn't plan on resigning to a rebuild, he may book.

B) If it looks like he'll leave, and we trade him at the deadline, what do we get for him? We clearly have enough draft picks, it's time to shoot in another direction

2) How bad/good the Isles will be

If the picks we received end up a top 10, which i doubt, then this is a fleece. Hopefully it's at least a top 15

3) Where does Vanek go

It wasn't likely at all that he'd resign here, but he's going to a contender, so perhaps he'll change his mind if they contend this year. But if he looks across to Pommers, sees a good team, and leaves the Isles, what're we complaining about? The assumption, I had thought at least, was that Vanek was going to Minny next year, end of story. If the other GM's knew that, they clearly weren't gonna give up a lot for a two month rental. Darcy needed to trade him sooner rather than later in order for any team to be interested in sending a decent return. For a rental player, this doesn't seem like the worst thing ever.

Edited by WildCard

Of course it would be less than Pommers as Vanek has less than a year left and everyone and their grandmothers know he's signing with the wild. Question is, why would the Isles make this trade? They're giving up a guy who put up 30 goal seasons in each of the last 3 full years. Plus their 1st and 2nd? I think we came out on top because now we can still flip Moulson at the deadline if need be.

Just picture Vanek now that he will be skating with an elite center. This is going to be fun to watch.

Exactly. This was a ripoff. Moulson will be 34 by the time this team even means anything again.

I doubt Moulson has much of a future here, he's in the last year of his deal as well, so the comparisons to the Pominville trade will have to include what they return for Moulson if he's dealt as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.