Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Let's say fortune smiles on us and the Islanders finish last and/or win the lottery and McDavid/Eichel turn into everything they're hyped to be. Does this go down as the greatest trade in franchise history? It has to be top-3 (Hasek,LaFontaine), right?

It could rank right up there with the Herschel Walker trade for the Cowboys in 1989 I believe

Let's say fortune smiles on us and the Islanders finish last and/or win the lottery and McDavid/Eichel turn into everything they're hyped to be. Does this go down as the greatest trade in franchise history? It has to be top-3 (Hasek,LaFontaine), right?

If that happens, this would almost certainly go down as the greatest trade in franchise history.

If that happens AND Moulson and Gorges are still contributing in 2018 when we win the cup, this would go down as the greatest trade in Hockey History.

It's probably top 2 (w/ Hasek) & definitely top 6 (Webster for Crozier, Shack for Robert, & Whimpley for Ducks) are up there as well. Too many honorable mentions to mention.

If that happens, this would almost certainly go down as the greatest trade in franchise history.

If that happens AND Moulson and Gorges are still contributing in 2018 when we win the cup, this would go down as the greatest trade in Hockey History.

Best goalie in league history for Ruuttu & 4th rounder is #1 until that upcoming #1 pans out, and IMHO it's still debatable.

It's probably top 2 (w/ Hasek) & definitely top 6 (Webster for Crozier, Shack for Robert, & Whimpley for Ducks) are up there as well. Too many honorable mentions to mention.

Best goalie in league history for Ruuttu & 4th rounder is #1 until that upcoming #1 pans out, and IMHO it's still debatable.

Agreed, but the question assumes the #1 pick is "everything they are hyped to be" which is far more important in today's game that a goalie, even Hasek, ever was.

Turgeon scored over 500 goals and had a long, fantastic career. That was a pretty even hockey trade. Some of Darcy's heists in the early days of his tenure — Wilson for Warrener and a pick that turned into Miller; Grosek for Gilmour and Dumont — would rank ahead of OohLaLa4LaLa.

I've always viewed the LaFontaine trade as a good trade, but not a great trade. Fun fact. LaFontaine scored 385 points as a Sabre, and 447 total NHL points, after the trade to Buffalo. Turgeon scored 1,004 NHL Points after the trade to the NYI.

LaFontaine is iconic. He was expensive.

Oops, just saw PA's comment. Same sentiment.

Edited by Neo

I've always viewed the LaFontaine trade as a good trade, but not a great trade. Fun fact. LaFontaine scored 385 points as a Sabre, and 447 total NHL points, after the trade to Buffalo. Turgeon scored 1,004 NHL Points after the trade to the NYI.

LaFontaine is iconic. He was expensive.

Oops, just saw PA's comment. Same sentiment.

Yes. I also think there was an intangible quality to the trade for Buffalo. The franchise was in doldrums that wouldn't be seen again until The Core, and LaFontaine was exactly what was needed. The Knoxes were trying to get a new arena built, and suddenly the Sabres were back on the map.

Yes. I also think there was an intangible quality to the trade for Buffalo. The franchise was in doldrums that wouldn't be seen again until The Core, and LaFontaine was exactly what was needed. The Knoxes were trying to get a new arena built, and suddenly the Sabres were back on the map.

I agree with you 100%.

not following. :blush:

Leading scorer on the Sabres in '97, '98, & '99. Sabres don't see the playoffs much less the Finals w/out Hasek who was picked up for their #3 center and a 4th round pick.

If things go as hoped, that Vanek trade will be up w/ that, but not necessarily as good/better. If they end up w/ McDavid and he's another Crosby (as hyped) but his head meets Lucic's elbow in 2016 the trade is definitely not better than the Dom trade. If they land McDavid and he leads them to a few SC's and he's truly generational, then it likely is their best trade ever.

For my 400th post, I shall declare: I dig that. I noticed the phrase in PA's sentence referring not to a group of guys, but an era. LGR, perfect encapsulation.

I hope someone photoshops Roy, Vanek, Pommers, Miller, and I'd guess Stafford/Gaustad onto that poster.

Darcy will be considered a genious :D

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.