Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I'm pumped, I just booked a long trip in may/June, flying into Azerijban, gonna head to fire mountain then to Tbilisi, Georgia; renting a car and driving around Georgia and Armenia for a week. Back to Cappadocia for hot air balloon ride and some 4 wheeling, a day in Istanbul for Turkish delight and Turkish bath. 

Heading to Havana in 2 weeks and scuba diving in Bahamas in April. 2020 is gonna be a good year ?

On 1/20/2020 at 10:13 AM, josie said:

Spent the weekend in Philly with my best friend. The main purpose was to go to the Mütter Museum. 

Loved it. 

Loved it so much. A great time with good food, good drink, good wandering, good nerding out, and laughing till my abs hurt.

Also, Gritty everywhere. Amazing. 

82695323_10216451976918448_8763045237435138048_n.jpg

82751487_10216454421899571_295788865757642752_o.jpg

1). awesome

2). I love the word gritty applied to an urban environment.  New Orleans!

@ubkev I've become obsessed with skiing. Been 4 times so far (3 Bristol, 1 HV), can do everything on them pretty easily; I know they're not wild mountains but still, not bad for 4 times ? Doing HV one last time this weekend to close out the season, and then I'm getting all my gear in the offseason and prepping a few trips to Vermont and Whiteface, not sure when the best time to get gear is though lol. Ever been to those?

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@ubkev I've become obsessed with skiing. Been 4 times so far (3 Bristol, 1 HV), can do everything on them pretty easily; I know they're not wild mountains but still, not bad for 4 times ? Doing HV one last time this weekend to close out the season, and then I'm getting all my gear in the offseason and prepping a few trips to Vermont and Whiteface, not sure when the best time to get gear is though lol. Ever been to those?

Keep an eye out for gear swaps (although those are in the fall most of the time). And buying "last year's" stuff is always a good plan.

Additionally, there will be bigger stuff in NE and out west, but generally it's not that different than HV. The runs are just a lot longer.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Keep an eye out for gear swaps (although those are in the fall most of the time). And buying "last year's" stuff is always a good plan.

Additionally, there will be bigger stuff in NE and out west, but generally it's not that different than HV. The runs are just a lot longer.

Yeah that's what it kind of looks like. My friends all call the ones around here 'hills' so I'm itching to try some real mountains now lol how did you like the ones out in the NE/West?

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Yeah that's what it kind of looks like. My friends all call the ones around here 'hills' so I'm itching to try some real mountains now lol how did you like the ones out in the NE/West?

I never got around to skiing out west, but did a bunch in NE. Friends that did said west the snow is way better but the terrain is similar unless you're really in the weeds. I liked Sunday River a lot, and Cannon Mountain to name a few of the lesser-known places. I closer gem is Plattekill in the Catskills, really laid back place with good terrain.

3 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I never got around to skiing out west, but did a bunch in NE. Friends that did said west the snow is way better but the terrain is similar unless you're really in the weeds. I liked Sunday River a lot, and Cannon Mountain to name a few of the lesser-known places. I closer gem is Plattekill in the Catskills, really laid back place with good terrain.

Cannon is actually where my gf spends a week every summer so that's pretty high on my list.

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Cannon is actually where my gf spends a week every summer so that's pretty high on my list.

I just looked at the trail map, seems like they've expanded in the long time since I've been there. The other peak at the time was abandoned, but people would hike along the ridge and ski down the trails cutting back over to the active area before the bottom. It was awful for out-of-shape me; I had a cough for weeks after as my lungs repaired themselves.

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Awesome! Best time to buy gear: End of ski season/summer. I'll give recommendations if you like. Best time to hit Whiteface: right now. End of February/beginning of March is always the best time for ski trips on the east coast. The mountains are filled in and everything is finally open. I skied in 5 states last season from February to April. Whiteface truly is a gem. The terrain rivals any mountain from Sugarloaf to Jay Peak to Smugglers' Notch and Stowe. Plus Lake Placid is a great vacation town. Love it!

Let me know where you're thinking of going in VT. Chances are I've been there.(northern VT is more challenging and less crowded, Southern VT has their grooming perfected, but NYC empties out into southern VT on the weekend) Oh and if you do go to New Hampshire, yeah, Cannon is awesome. Franconia Notch is beautiful! Plus, Cannon is one of only 2 resorts in the east with a tram.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, darksabre said:

What's the subject matter? There's a guy I follow on twitter who's an Army vet who writes Sci-fi and he publishes with Kyanite.

https://kyanitepublishing.com/authors/

Who's the author?

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Thanks. Probably not a fit.

Its a memoir dealing with our crazy kid.

Has she considered self-publishing?

• Like (+1) 1