Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Paul Bissonnette and Ryan Whitney do an interview with Barstool and tell some stories of NHL night life. Definitely worth a listen to, very funny stuff

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pardon-my-take/e/54506536?autoplay=true

Edit: Apparently Putin hands out unlimited credit cards to the big Russian stars for them to use and party with; wonder why they want to play in the Olympics so badly and like Putin...

Edited by WildCard

BLOODY HELL!!

Is nothing sacred?  This is a disaster.  Any self-respecting Queen fan will boycott.  I will.

Appears to be sanctioned by Queen.  Freddie would not be pleased, IMO.

Getting the movie done was a disaster, apparently.

Sacha Baron Cohen was playing Mercury, but left the project because he wanted a more true biopic done. Then the director quit. Evidently, the stakeholders of Queen (Inc.) wanted a brighter and happier homage -- there's a word for that that I can't call to mind. Where you're just lionizing your subject uncritically.

It's fairly craven sounding. Those who stand to profit from Queen's legacy and brand wanted a film done that would promote the brand, not tarnish it.

The making of the film and the end product are two different things.  I don't understand the strong negative reaction.

Just to be clear ... the end product is also a disaster, just from watching the trailer.

There are countless real and proper documentaries out there that do a much better job of this.  When I look for information on Queen I look to be informed not entertained.  If I want to be entertained I will watch a real Queen video.

Officially full time at my job now :) I can breathe a little easier on that front. 

I cannot think of better news to send me off onto my Ramadan fast.

Congrats!!

The making of the film and the end product are two different things.  I don't understand the strong negative reaction.

Huh?

If the production house decided, in the midst of making a highly anticipated biopic, that the film is going to gloss over ugly details and provide a rosy, sunny view of its subject matter, how is that something separate and apart from the end product?

Just to be clear ... the end product is also a disaster, just from watching the trailer.

There are countless real and proper documentaries out there that do a much better job of this.  When I look for information on Queen I look to be informed not entertained.  If I want to be entertained I will watch a real Queen video.

I guess I'm looking at this differently.  I see the film as a juxtaposition of Queen's music with the context in which is was made.  I realize it takes some artistic license.  I don't see a problem with being entertained while getting some information on the band, or that the film isn't entirely accurate.  It looks fun and entertaining.  If it captures the spirit behind the creation of the music while omitting some of the drama that was happening at the same time, I'm still okay with that.

It is just an utter disaster ... see Smell's post above.

I heard that they omitted AIDS from the biopic. AND his sexuality. I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous. Freddie opening up about it (it only went public the day before he died, but the admission was a huge step at the time) helped put a face on a ravaging disease full of stigma and hatred. Leaving it out is irresponsible. He was well known to be bi... you don't have to make it a huge deal, but it was definitely a cornerstone of his image and personality. 

It's a biopic, he died tragically... it would be like taking Selena's biopic and leaving out the whole getting shot by the president of her fan club thing, she just passed away in a random drive by oops. Or Janis and ODing. Cobain suicide/potential murder/drug use. Focus on the feeling of the band, the life, the love, for the majority of the film but you can't leave that stuff out. 

I will be a skeptic of it being worth a watch until convinced otherwise haha

Seems to me like there is a little bit of revisionist history going on here. Freddy's sexuality may have been well known, but it was never a part of who they were as a band or even who he was until his death.

I for one couldn't and don't give two shits about it. And I am interested in seeing the story of the music and the band.

My insurance broker is awesome. He is tireless and dedicated. He has my blessing to change whatever is necessary to find the best deal.

I noticed my yearly auto policy went up a hundred bucks but I trust the guy and I had an opportunity to test my purchase.

I backed into another truck in a crowded parking lot causing only very minor damage. The claims were filed and I learned what kind of policy this dude had found me....

$100 deductible, $1 million in covered damage, $50/day rental. No rate increase for the incident. The insurer even set up everything for me. The rental place is treating me like a high roller.

I’m guessing they’ll be confused and/or disappointed when I show up tomorrow.