Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

12 years ago today my little boy (who is now 5'3") was born.  He was born at 5:48pm which some of you will recognize as 17:48.  Later that night, JP Dumont (#17) sent the Sabres to OT and Danny Briere (#48) beat the Hurricanes in OT to force Game 7 in the ECF.  JP Dumont shares my birthday (4/1/78).

All coincidences I realize, but fun nonetheless.

My son is also now a defenseman which if you remember anything about that series is also funny.  Sorry boys, I couldn't grow him fast enough for game 7.

Does he get injured all the time though?  Do us all a favor and wash those damn shin pads.

My son graduated from HS today. It was a very happy occasion but when we got home he became pretty sad about leaving his friends. It’s sweet and sad and beautiful. I remember at that age, when this kind of thing felt like the end of the world.

My son graduated from HS today. It was a very happy occasion but when we got home he became pretty sad about leaving his friends. It’s sweet and sad and beautiful. I remember at that age, when this kind of thing felt like the end of the world.

I can still taste how that felt, five years out. Congrats to your son!

Edited by Randall Flagg

Oh man, I couldn't wait to leave home. Leaving friends wasn't a big deal. We all knew we'd come visit each other to see whose school partied the best. (St. Lawrence, btw, and it's not even close)

And it’s funny when you think back on it and realize how crazy that is. It really is just a couple seconds in your life. I still think back fondly on those days, but it’s half a lifetime ago at this point.

My grandson graduated from HS today. It was a very happy occasion but when we got home he became pretty sad about leaving his friends. It’s sweet and sad and beautiful. I remember at that age, when this kind of thing felt like the end of the world.

I think it's wonderful that you're so involved in your grandchildren's lives.  He'll be ok.

Edited by Eleven

It's amazing, I had them cut me a roast at Martin's last week when I was seeing family, I seared the outside with garlic butter, thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Then let it smoke/slow cook for a few hours until 110 degrees internally, then covered with foil and towel and let it rest for 25 minutes. I'm sad I don't have anymore to eat

I have be into smoking for years now, I am okay at it, my ribs and beer can chicken comeout the best, but I have never smoked a prime roast.  what kind of wood do you use?  i generally lean towards the milder fruity wood like cherry or apple, what do you suggest for prime rib?  also, does it take as long as a brisket?  i find it hard to dedicate 12 hours of a weekend to smoking a brisket.

I have be into smoking for years now, I am okay at it, my ribs and beer can chicken comeout the best, but I have never smoked a prime roast. what kind of wood do you use? i generally lean towards the milder fruity wood like cherry or apple, what do you suggest for prime rib? also, does it take as long as a brisket? i find it hard to dedicate 12 hours of a weekend to smoking a brisket.

I actually used a blend of apple/cherry, hickory would kill the flavor of this kind of meat. The way I cook it, I actually sear the outside for 15 minutes and then it's about 25 min a lb give or take thereafter, depending on your smoking temp, so a decent roast should take all day. The key is to monitor the middle of the meat, I have a wifi meat thermometer that I can see the temp from anywhere while I'm cooking. I get it to 110 and as long as you rest the meat after for 30 minutes, it'll go up to 130 in the foil, for medium rare perfection :)

I thought they only put screens on submarines.

I don't think so, I have a 60" flat one in my living room

By the way I went to the Paul Simon Farewell tour concert Saturday. That was as awesome as the 12th row seats I had just off center stage. Sweet.

I have be into smoking for years now, I am okay at it, my ribs and beer can chicken comeout the best, but I have never smoked a prime roast. what kind of wood do you use? i generally lean towards the milder fruity wood like cherry or apple, what do you suggest for prime rib? also, does it take as long as a brisket? i find it hard to dedicate 12 hours of a weekend to smoking a brisket.

Fruit woods are perfect for chicken and pork.I like a little stronger flavored wood for beef. Oak, or another nut wood is perfect.

Smoking prime rib is pretty easy and definitely worth the effort. I like temps in the 250-275 range. Monitor meat temp in the thickest part of the roast. When it hits you’re desired doneness pull it and let it rest for 20-30 minutes before carving.

Way less time consuming than brisket. Brisket is cooked at lower temp to a higher level of doneness. Brisket is an overnight and into the next day cook. Prime rib is done in an afternoon.

And Inky, iI know you’re dying to comment here. Just do it.

Knock on wood he's been pretty durable. Averaging 1 missed game per year, usually because he's with me at a Bills game.

2 major outcomes from my Sabre fandom. 

1.  He has ALWAYS worn a neck guard, every practice, every game since his first day in Mites.

2.  His gear is immaculately clean.

Hallmark of a cup winner there.  Amirite, Jay McKee?

Knock on wood he's been pretty durable. Averaging 1 missed game per year, usually because he's with me at a Bills game.

2 major outcomes from my Sabre fandom. 

1.  He has ALWAYS worn a neck guard, every practice, every game since his first day in Mites.

2.  His gear is immaculately clean.

They don't require the neck guards at that age?  They did when I was playing.

And you make him skip a hockey game to go to a Bills game?  Most years, that probably qualifies as abuse.