Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Was able to bring my 12 year old step daughter home from the pediatric psych ward today.  She'd been there since Monday.  We're looking forward to getting her some needed help in dealing with some issues she keeps carrying around with her regarding her biological father who took off when she was 3.  I've been with her for 6 years now, so I'm "dad," but I understand her feelings when she sees me interact with her 3 year old sister.  I'd love to adopt her and make it official, but we don't have the extra $5,000 laying around that we keep getting quoted from various attorneys.  She'll also begin an online middle school that is now offered in our county, which will eliminate all of the problems with bullying she's experienced since starting 6th grade. I'm glad to have these options available now, which weren't possible just a few years ago.

That's great CSB. She's lucky to have you.

I just caught the tail end of a Carol Burnett Show 50th anniversary show. What great memories, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who fondly recalls that show, since a lot of us are in the same wheelhouse of age.

Harry Connick, Jr. came on at the end and he and Carol sang the show's theme song. He teared up, Carol could barely get through it, then I lost it. That show was so important to me and my mom especially. I have vivid memories of the both of us cracking up during the famous Went With the Wind sketch when Carol came down the steps wearing the drapes, curtain rod and all. And Tim Conway as the dentist who accidentally injected himself in various places with Novocaine!

Good times. Ain't we lucky we had 'em.

Went bowling with my girlfriend tonight.  Dinner was over too quickly, and we didn't feel like going to bars or for coffee.  

Some background before the awesomeness:  I have a Grade II SLAP tear in my right shoulder.  I'll leave that to the docs to explain, because I don't fully understand it myself.  I do know that it means I shouldn't use my right arm to bowl.  I am right-handed.  I also am not, by any means, expert at bowling.  I suck.  I don't think I ever have broken 100.

She went first, I don't know, like seven pins or something with her two shots.

I get up and bowl a strike with my left hand.  She's looking at me like I've been hiding something from her.

My second frame, a spare. 9 with the first ball and I picked up the remaining pin.  Left-handed again.  Now she's really looking at me like I'm from Mars.

Three frames later, I converted a 3-7 split.  (Yes, I had to google a bowling pin diagram in order to write this.)  

Next frame, I screw up my left elbow, which clearly is not used to moving like this at all, much less with a sixteen pound bowling ball in the hand attached to it.  I was hesitant to continue, but I decided that if I bowled very slowly, I could use my right.

So to my right arm I go.  I was determined to bowl a strike with each arm.

I did.

And she won both freaking games.

EDIT:  And MODO, I just scrolled up.  That is wonderful.

Edited by Eleven

A very Happy Birthday to our very own The Dominator.  You young pup.

Also, some guy (?) with 1 post since 2013, but I will put it here since the avatar appears to be the Georgia Bulldog.  Maybe some of you guys would know better, so check it out on the main Forum page.

Youtube. Sure there's garbage, but you can also find professional performances of almost any classical music you can think of, often several versions. RosePIe took an interest in the Nutcracker ballet (from a Daniel Tiger episode), and 10 minutes later, incredibly beautiful performance that she can watch and mimic. I've been on a kick of playing various symphonies and whatnot; all stuff I've either heard or heard of in the past but now it's at my fingertips to enjoy. Incredible.

This video is pretty awesome.

Nice. Thanks. Make it a new thread, maybe?

Two corrections: The Sabres and Bruins first met in the playoffs in 1982, not 1983. And the infamous Brad Park goal was not in double overtime, Phil.

"Bob Sweeney comes back to haunt his former teammates!"

Four years ago, whilst going though a divorce with three kids, our beloved family dog died of basically old age, albeit we were not expecting it. It was a difficult time. 

Flash forward to today. I'm remarried and my wife and youngest daughter and I will go this afternoon to adopt a rescue St. Bernard mix and bring her home to be part of the family.  She's 3 years old, unwanted by a puppy mill in Ohio as she couldn't produce pups. She seems to have a great personality and a lot of potential for growth into a great family pet. It's going to be a lot of work but I believe it will be worth it.