Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

If I answer this question, do I have to answer two more before I can cross the bridge?

I edited my post. Please delete the quote before someone gets his panties in a bunch and cries to the mods.

All of the credit now and none of the blame when it drops.

[Maybe if we say positive things toward the GOP they'll unban political discussion]

Same request.

Interesting fact: economists kind of hate the Dow. It's been the same since time began, which on one hand is good, but it doesn't always accurately represent today's economic mix. And no, I'm not saying this as sour grapes.

Surely you agree that the Dow surpassing 21k for the first time ever is not a bad thing?

Surely you agree that the Dow surpassing 21k for the first time ever is not a bad thing?

Just so you know, we've been in a bull market since 2009. It just took a whole group of people until Jan 20th to be able to admit it.

As to the value of 21K, I'm not retiring and I'm not allowed to trade stocks so it meens nothing to me. Might get some overtime, though, if we do a special about it.

It depends on how you look at it. I don't think it's bad, unless it convinces people things are awesome when it might be a false indicator. In hockey terms, I think it's like +/-. If you have some gaudy +20 or something that's cool, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're better than the guy with a +12.

These are the companies on the Dow:

http://money.cnn.com/data/dow30/

In theory, these guys could be going like gang-busters with small-medium (and large but not huge) businesses failing at record pace and the Dow would keep going up.

Edited by MattPie

Except for everyone that has a 401(k) or similar plan.

But even so, I have a 401(k) and I'm not retiring for another 23 or so years, so the Dow at 21K now means nothing to me except lower purchasing power on the money I'm currently contributing.  By the time I retire it could be far less than 21K.  At this point in time, I'm more interested in purchasing more shares because the value will inevitably go down and fluctuate at times a lot over 23 years.

Senators McCain and Graham on CNNs Town Hall were awesome. Excellent job by the moderator, the Senators, and the audience members who asked the hand picked questions. Great job all around.

What's awesome is that I have no idea what you are talking about. It's even more awesomer that I don't care one bit.

The basketball team at the poor-ass high school were my wife teaches took on the team from the affluent whitey part of town in their first playoff game in several years.  The coach sat his best player because he thought he could act like a turd the day of the big game but the coach rightly disciplined him and let him ride the pine for the whole game.  It took overtime, but the team from my wife's school won!

And they keep winning.  They have a regional semifinal against a team from El Paso on Friday, and if they win that they play in the regional final on Saturday.

Interesting tidbit:  El Paso and Fort Worth are in the same "region" for high school sports.  The two cities are 600 miles apart.  Luckily the games Friday and Saturday are at a neutral site (in some small town I've never heard of) *only* 230 miles away.

If they win those two games they will be in the final four of the state tournament and will play in San Antonio the following weekend.

Daylight savings time ends at 2am. That means I only have to work 7 hours tomorrow. 7 hours, that I'm sure I can turn into 5 hours and 30 minutes. Plus I don't lose an hour of sleep! Spring ahead :) awesome.

Standard Time ends and Daylight Saving Time starts.

;)

It's all smoke and mirrors anyway.  It really doesn't matter what we say it is .. it is what it is and the changing is silly.  Keep it on Standard Time year round I say.

Worked some OT today. Super friggin cold and super squirrelly work. I fell and banged my head fairly hard. My face is bright red, somewhat like I've survived a nuclear blast from a distance. Anyways I'm still here and the awesome part is making 12 hrs pay for 6 hrs toil. I'm drinking beers and soaking in my bacta tank... Giggidy.

Going to both BUF@LAK and BUF@ANA.

Bonus: Mom emailed me today and pointed out Harrington's article that mentioned the Sabres are "practicing in suburban El Segundo" today.  That's the Kings' practice facility around the corner from work where I play pickup once in a while.  I called them up, Sabres are on the ice at 1pm.  It has a restaurant/bar upstairs overlooking the ice, and will make for a nice lunch.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Got my first animation freelance gig! Just a little thing, but I'm excited. It involves jets and space and cool stuff I love with a client I've worked with quite a bit. Honestly, I'm not doing too badly for not having a full time job. I'm just about making ends meet, and if I get a part time once I move to Buffalo and the freelance keeps up, I'll be ok. Still feel a little nauseous not having a solid 9-5 with benefits, though. Time will tell...