Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I get the 10 points back for making my minions do my research for me. bwwwwahahaha

Doesn't "economically depressed" here or there get a little old? I mean, yeah, it is. But depressed is a pretty strong word. Maybe I just don't notice it anymore. I can't think of a time in my lifetime that this region hasn't been let's say recessed, or recessed-feeling. But, jeez, it's not like it's Calcutta. We're not all eating dirt, and liking it.

I feel like that term really can't be accurately applied to american cities not named Detroit or Youngstown.

I have a friend. This is my friend. He emails me this stuff on a regular basis, and I kick myself constantly for not saving all of it and putting it into a book, or a Twitter feed. This is ###### my friend says:

Subject line was DMWTFAF

It is an acronym for the title of my next book: “Defecating my way to fame and fortune.”

Yesterday morning, I shat out a horseshoe. Not an actual horsehoe, mind you; just a turd shaped like a horseshoe.

I took it as a sign that I should either: (1) buy a lottery ticket; or (2) lay big coin in Vegas on the Colts to win Super Bowl XLIX. So I did both. Pretty sure that will work out for me.

This morning I shat no interesting shapes, just regular logs. However, I did crap them onto a Pittsburgh Steelers logo that I’d strategically taped to the bottom-center of the toilet bowl. What a tremendous way to start the day!

I have a conference call later this morning with the NFL marketing gurus and the U.S. Patent Office. I’m pretty sure by the end of August you’ll see toilet-bowl logos of every NFL and major college football team available at all your finer retail and drinking establishments.

Thanks for the welcomes back and the send offs as Ramadan started.

=====

So, freeman has gone over to the dark side ... I better mind my p's and q's.

Yes, 11. There is always some debate as to when Ramadan starts and ends. Most calendars are printed using the moon phase calculation method, but most people actually use the traditional sighting of the new moon to signal the start / end of each month ... especially Ramadan. The new moon was calculated to emerge at 7:42 PM on July 26th, but the moon set that evening about a half hour later, which was about half an hour before sunset ... Islamic days run from sunset to sunset ... same as Jewish days.

Anyway, there was no moon sighted anywhere on the planet before it set on the 26th (our Imam even went to Peggy's Cove to see if he could see it before it set). That meant that we fasted one more day ... 27th.

Ramadan actually started a day earlier than calculated, as the new moon was sighted before the calculated time ... don't ask me how.

=====

I see the Sabres did some things. We shall see how it all works out. I am happy with the pick a #2.

Ghost,

Don't pack up your toys.

I see some crazy stuff happening all over the world.

Oh, Grigorenko will be fine. He will be a good player for the Sabres I just know it.

Because there is no such thing as an original idea anymore.

That and, as always, money ruins everything. Investors want to back large budget films that have a guaranteed return. Remakes are almost proven sources of return. Not to mention that by exposing the content to an entirely new generation of movie-watchers, they can sell merchandising, toys, and television rights to the new generation.

Just like fashion and music, films will experience a 20-25 year cycle. Expect to see each and every Marvel film made this decade remade by the 2040s.

Tomorrow is my last day. Start the new gig on Monday. This morning my boss approached me and said she wanted to make sure that she talked to me before I left. She thanked me for my efforts and told me if things don't work out with the new job all I had to do was call and they'd happily take me back. Said the owners were thrilled with my work and abilities. Wished me the best but reiterated that the door would always be open if I wanted it.

Felt damned good to hear.

A cocoa farmer tasting chocolate for the first time: http://boingboing.ne...hoco.html?fk_bb

Thank you for sharing that.

Tomorrow is my last day. Start the new gig on Monday. This morning my boss approached me and said she wanted to make sure that she talked to me before I left. She thanked me for my efforts and told me if things don't work out with the new job all I had to do was call and they'd happily take me back. Said the owners were thrilled with my work and abilities. Wished me the best but reiterated that the door would always be open if I wanted it.

I missed all the background on this, but I take it something awesome has happened in your life.

Congrats. I'm happy for you and your family, weave.

:thumbsup: :beer:

Congrats! no coffee on Sunday, you'll barely be able to sleep as is. :)

That and, as always, money ruins everything. Investors want to back large budget films that have a guaranteed return. Remakes are almost proven sources of return. Not to mention that by exposing the content to an entirely new generation of movie-watchers, they can sell merchandising, toys, and television rights to the new generation.

Just like fashion and music, films will experience a 20-25 year cycle. Expect to see each and every Marvel film made this decade remade by the 2040s.

Are you one of my former students? :)

I highly recommend: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0809328844

Thank you for sharing that.

I missed all the background on this, but I take it something awesome has happened in your life.

Congrats. I'm happy for you and your family, weave.

New job. Raise. Better bennies. Doing work I enjoy. In an industry I used to work in and miss badly. Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

That's awesome, weave. Always feels good to know you are/were appreciated.

I meant to post this last week, but shrader's post in the Complaint thread reminded me: Simple.tv is pretty awesome so far:

https://us.simple.tv/

http://www.cnet.com/...by-silicondust/

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-tv-Network-Lifetime-Premier-Subscription/dp/B00BF2M21C

While it does require some money up front and its utility is heavily dependent on your antenna and local channels available (check here to see what's in your area: http://www.antennaweb.org/), it really is a neat interface that gives some extra capabilities missing with just my Roku.