F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

Finally got into the Kirsch center for Ollie's official ASD diagnosis. 

non-shocking news: Ollie has Autism. The doc described him as exactly medium on the spectrum.

Fantastic: the care team at Kirsch was head and shoulders better than the intake staff we had to deal with while trying to set up the appointment over the past year.

F'N Fantastic: Despite the initial testing done last january, the doctors don't believe Ollie has any cognitive disabilities, in other words, his ability to learn isn't compromised, and his Autism is exclusively affecting his speech and social brain functions. He also doesn't have any other complicating factors (it's common for kids with ASD to have other brain disorders that tag along with Autism), except possibly ADHD, but even that they said he was borderline. They explained that "Cognitive Disabilities" and "Complicating Factors" are the key indicators for long term success, along with responsiveness to intervention. His scores on the developmental testing have improved greatly this year, so that indicates that he is very responsive to the interventions. So they gave Ollie a pretty awesome prognosis. He's ALWAYS going to have social interaction problems and trouble with speech, but those things can be overcome a bit with coping skills that his therapists can teach him over the next 15 years. When describing the potential long term goals for Ollie she used words like "College" and "Job" and "Married". My wife and I made it out of the hospital ok, but once she called her sister, and I my brother, and recounted the information, we both completely broke down crying. All of the good parental crying. It was F'N Fantastic.

:thumbsup:

Edited by shrader

non-shocking news: Ollie has Autism. The doc described him as exactly medium on the spectrum.

Fantastic: the care team at Kirsch was head and shoulders better than the intake staff we had to deal with while trying to set up the appointment over the past year.

F'N Fantastic: Despite the initial testing done last january, the doctors don't believe Ollie has any cognitive disabilities, in other words, his ability to learn isn't compromised, and his Autism is exclusively affecting his speech and social brain functions. He also doesn't have any other complicating factors (it's common for kids with ASD to have other brain disorders that tag along with Autism), except possibly ADHD, but even that they said he was borderline. They explained that "Cognitive Disabilities" and "Complicating Factors" are the key indicators for long term success, along with responsiveness to intervention. His scores on the developmental testing have improved greatly this year, so that indicates that he is very responsive to the interventions. So they gave Ollie a pretty awesome prognosis. He's ALWAYS going to have social interaction problems and trouble with speech, but those things can be overcome a bit with coping skills that his therapists can teach him over the next 15 years. When describing the potential long term goals for Ollie she used words like "College" and "Job" and "Married". My wife and I made it out of the hospital ok, but once she called her sister, and I my brother, and recounted the information, we both completely broke down crying. All of the good parental crying. It was F'N Fantastic.

This is outstanding news!

Glass,

That is wonderful news.

A tear of joy welled up in my eye for all of you.

Glad to hear read it. :beer:

I had no idea who that was, lol.

And that is indeed fantastic, GCoE.  So happy to hear it!

Good stuff, Glass Case. Really good stuff. God bless!

For all those with good news: nice!

:thumbsup:

Woot, good news around here.

Good stuff Glass.

This is outstanding news!

Yay Glass!  :clapping:

Eleventhed! :thumbsup:

Thanks everybody. There is still an immense amount of work for me, my wife, and most importantly, Ollie, to do, but it's pretty great to have clarity on what we should be working towards. Thanks for letting me share this crazy journey with a bunch of supportive strangers. It's weird, but it really helps make the challenges slightly less challenging and the victories slightly more victorious. 

F'N Fantastic: Despite the initial testing done last january, the doctors don't believe Ollie has any cognitive disabilities, in other words, his ability to learn isn't compromised, and his Autism is exclusively affecting his speech and social brain functions. He also doesn't have any other complicating factors (it's common for kids with ASD to have other brain disorders that tag along with Autism), except possibly ADHD, but even that they said he was borderline. They explained that "Cognitive Disabilities" and "Complicating Factors" are the key indicators for long term success, along with responsiveness to intervention. His scores on the developmental testing have improved greatly this year, so that indicates that he is very responsive to the interventions. So they gave Ollie a pretty awesome prognosis. He's ALWAYS going to have social interaction problems and trouble with speech, but those things can be overcome a bit with coping skills that his therapists can teach him over the next 15 years. When describing the potential long term goals for Ollie she used words like "College" and "Job" and "Married". My wife and I made it out of the hospital ok, but once she called her sister, and I my brother, and recounted the information, we both completely broke down crying. All of the good parental crying. It was F'N Fantastic.

Awesome.

As for the bolded:  who doesn't?

He's going to crush it.

Thanks everybody. There is still an immense amount of work for me, my wife, and most importantly, Ollie, to do, but it's pretty great to have clarity on what we should be working towards. Thanks for letting me share this crazy journey with a bunch of supportive strangers. It's weird, but it really helps make the challenges slightly less challenging and the victories slightly more victorious. 

You give us much hope.  Our hockey team, I don't know...

I have new job, making twice as much as last.  This was first week, and I submitted timesheet today.  Good feeling.  So will be putting that check in pocket.  Hard work.  Well earned.

Hard battles, makes for battle hardened.

Snow storm today, so I finally got to walk (no car on snow days) to a mosque here in Bedford.

It's a Shia mosque.  I am think ... what does that really mean?

I am a Muslim.  I don't have any time for this Sunni - Shia nonsense.

Everyone there was fantastic.  It really made my Friday Fantastic.

I will be the liquor tonight.  Check the awesome thread at ~4am for verification.

I will also be the liquor, tomorrow though, gotta open Saturday morning. My verification will be in the Ot2: Revenge of the Breasts though

Good on you Liger.  :thumbsup:

No one unlocked the thread so merge when necessary but...

I have a valentine's date for the first time in 4 years, nervous and excited.  

Good luck, Liger!  Remember the sage advice from threads of the past... ;)

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20057-fn-fantastic-fridays/page-33?do=findComment&comment=476493

Edited by biodork

Bump

Hoping to celebrate d4rk's bday this weekend by beating him (again) at go-karts. Can't break my racing lines, baby.

Excited to try out the new 40mph or whatever karts at that new place in Rochester. It would only be better if there was a laser tag place there too. Because our idea of fun is apparently that of an 8 year old boy.