F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

I'm going to New Orleans for 5 days. Never been.

It's a great city to visit, but you'll need to pace yourself, and you can run into some trouble if you're not alert.

One time a while back in New Orleans, I asked a young lady for her hand in marriage...so far so good on that one though.

I have an interview for a promotion at work in about an hour. My stomach is doing hula hoops around my ass right about now.

A few suggestions: show up a few minutes early, start off by thanking them for considering you, express enthusiasm about the opportunity, mention an idea or 2 about what you would do if you got the job, don't bad-mouth anyone and mention a couple of good moves you've made recently in your current position while crediting others (i.e. "my group was able to do XYZ").

You're going to crush it.

I think an anvil fell on WildCard--can someone check on him?

Hahah I had second thoughts about posting it cause I didn't want the kid to get in trouble somehow but he's getting fired anyways so screw it. I come in and this kid is drinking in the break room; he offered me some but I'm not an idiot so I declined. Gotta say though, it is funny to watch him try to work right now. It's only a minimum wage job to help me through college so it's not serious, but I need it and even if I didn't, it's not something to do at work.

Hahah I had second thoughts about posting it cause I didn't want the kid to get in trouble somehow but he's getting fired anyways so screw it. I come in and this kid is drinking in the break room; he offered me some but I'm not an idiot so I declined. Gotta say though, it is funny to watch him try to work right now. It's only a minimum wage job to help me through college so it's not serious, but I need it and even if I didn't, it's not something to do at work.

About three months ago, I had two glasses of wine at lunch--the first time ever that I have had drinks at lunch. (With a client, celebrating a win.) I was totally useless the rest of the day. I do not understand how people do it now, and I certainly don't understand the 60s and 70s.

A few suggestions: show up a few minutes early, start off by thanking them for considering you, express enthusiasm about the opportunity, mention an idea or 2 about what you would do if you got the job, don't bad-mouth anyone and mention a couple of good moves you've made recently in your current position while crediting others (i.e. "my group was able to do XYZ").

You're going to crush it.

Thanks freeman. I'm a terrible interviewer. That said, I ###### killed it!!! I've never nailed an interview like that one. It was with my director and VP of my department and the VP of HR. Every answer I had was right, no stammering and no babbling.

3 of us are up for the position. My best friend who I moved here with, another good friend and me.

So I walked into the bathroom this morning and my wife asks if I could grab her toothpaste from the counter. There sits the little stick with 2 lines. Looks like the crazy, fun, emotional, watch closely what I say, lack of sleep, excitement will be happening a second time. She's only two or three weeks pregnant and I know you are suppose to wait 3 months to say anything but I don't know any of you personally so thought I would share. The feeling will never replicate the first time your wife is pregnant with your first child but I'm still on Cloud 9 right now. Let's hope the next 9 (and specifically 3) months go well with no complications or issues.

We're heading up to Buffalo tomorrow morning for the leafs/sabres game so no pre-drinking for her haha. Should be an even better weekend now. By the way, my one and a half year old son still points to the leaf symbol and says bahhhoo for boooo so it's the first time he can put it to good use on Saturday.

Congrats, Derrico!

I have an interview for a promotion at work in about an hour. My stomach is doing hula hoops around my ass right about now.

Thanks freeman. I'm a terrible interviewer. That said, I ###### killed it!!! I've never nailed an interview like that one. It was with my director and VP of my department and the VP of HR. Every answer I had was right, no stammering and no babbling.

3 of us are up for the position. My best friend who I moved here with, another good friend and me.

And congrats to you as well on the interview! Hopefully you'll have even better news next Friday.

For me: seeing the news about RJ made today F'N Fantastic, indeed. Also very much looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow morning for the first time in maybe 3 weeks. Sorely needed.

About three months ago, I had two glasses of wine at lunch--the first time ever that I have had drinks at lunch. (With a client, celebrating a win.) I was totally useless the rest of the day. I do not understand how people do it now, and I certainly don't understand the 60s and 70s.

Really puts things they do in Mad Men under a whole new light :lol:

A beer or two at lunch, that's fine. I've had 1-2 before I walked to work, but this kid was just pounding tall boys for hours in front of the cameras. Should be interesting tomorrow when the boss comes in to watch the film like he usually does.

Really puts things they do in Mad Men under a whole new light :lol:

A beer or two at lunch, that's fine. I've had 1-2 before I walked to work, but this kid was just pounding tall boys for hours in front of the cameras. Should be interesting tomorrow when the boss comes in to watch the film like he usually does.

Sounds like the kid is in ZFG mode.

Liger, I am going to disasgree with Eleven. The wife and I spent a week in NO. Stayed just off the French Quarter. Didn't rent a car and saw and did everything within walking distance. NO is a food lovers paradise. And there is a lot to see and do but only if you get off Bourbon Street. If you want, when it gets close PM me and I'll happily give you a list of the things we did and saw that was all within walking distance of the French Quarter.

While there be very aware of your surroundings. It is a hella fun place to be, but there are folks waiting to take advantage of you if you let your guard down. Don't tour the cemeteries alone, stick to busy streets after dark, and keep ypur wits about you. Don't drink to the point where you are no longer alert to your surroundings.

And have fun. It is the ultimate party town.

Liger, I am going to disasgree with Eleven. The wife and I spent a week in NO. Stayed just off the French Quarter. Didn't rent a car and saw and did everything within walking distance. NO is a food lovers paradise. And there is a lot to see and do but only if you get off Bourbon Street. If you want, when it gets close PM me and I'll happily give you a list of the things we did and saw that was all within walking distance of the French Quarter.

While there be very aware of your surroundings. It is a hella fun place to be, but there are folks waiting to take advantage of you if you let your guard down. Don't tour the cemeteries alone, stick to busy streets after dark, and keep ypur wits about you. Don't drink to the point where you are no longer alert to your surroundings.

And have fun. It is the ultimate party town.

Sorry I left last Saturday so I am just seeing this. Thanks for the offer and I think I did okay. The food was pretty good and I did get off Bourbon street although I also was on Bourbon Street for a bit. That said I am glad to be home and back in my comfort zone.

As for the on your guard advice, I had to walk a section of Bourbon alone to meet up with friends... I am glad that my dad had given me the same advice you did growing up. I ignored people calling to me and walked with a purpose never acknowledging people more than to say "no". I got offered free entry to 4 strip clubs, I think a girl was trying to proposition me, and some guy wanted to shine my shoes... my shoes were suede.

Edited by LGR4GM

I think I actually get a weekend fully off work... what a novel (and wonderful) concept.

Oh, and I just got the first electric bill for a full month using the new heat pump -- 610 kWh for Nov. 2014 vs 757 kWh for Nov. 2013 (similar avg temp and same # of days). :D

Got some fast illustration work comps approved today- If any of you happen to be in JFK's jet blue terminal this thanksgiving, look for the Coatchex kiosk- there should be some posters up illustrated by yours truly.

Also, haven't nailed down the perfect design yet, but I'm working with a gorgeous international plus size model on a children's book concept. Celebrities- they sound the same as anyone else on the phone. I'll shoot her a text and not hear anything for awhile, then get a "oh my god, hey, I'm so sorry I didn't respond, I was just flying to Amsterdam". Her schedule just blows my mind.

Not awesome- my piled up to do list, because how do you say no to a job like that...

I can't wait to for it all subside so I can get back to the stuff I have backed up... and maybe even paint for myself. I'm not even going to be able to make my own Xmas card this year.

That is a LONG time to spend in New Orleans unless you have

something specific to do like a convention or something.

I know this is after-the-fact, but I can't pass up at a chance to talk NOLA.

I will agree with what Eleven said to the extent you're visiting as a young turk and just have the proverbial R&R on the agenda.

OTOH, when my wife and I went for 5 days and 4 nights a while back, I felt like we could've even used an extra day -- although 5 days felt like it was right in the sweet spot range.

It's a great city to visit, but you'll need to pace yourself, and you can run into some trouble if you're not alert.

True.

I do that every now and then. Same experience.

What did people do back in the day after they boozed it up at a business lunch? Pop a greenie or two is my bet.

This is all very consistent with my experience.

As for the cemeteries, I remain a little confused. Are the dangerous ones in the Treme neighborhood (those I heard about), or does that advice apply to all of them? We went (alone, the two of us, in broad daylight) to a few that were -- where -- Mid-City (?). The surrounding neighborhood was a weird one (just seemed like a junction of local commuting routes), but didn't seem sketchy per se.